It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today marks the 53rd Anniversary of the Loving v Virginia case. America has come far!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I thought I'd share something positive, about how far America has come and the achievements, historic steps, we should be celebrating on.

Loving v. Virginia was a Supreme Court case that struck down state laws banning interracial marriage in the United States. The plaintiffs in the case were Richard and Mildred Loving, a white man and black woman whose marriage was deemed illegal according to Virginia state law. With the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the Lovings appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled unanimously that so-called “anti-miscegenation” statutes were unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment.

History

It all started with police coming into the Lovings household and arresting them for the crime of race mixing;

On a hot summer night in 1958, law enforcement burst through the door of the lovings. The Lovings hadn't gone on a crime spree, but they were public enemies in the eyes of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Mr and Mrs Loving were thrown in jail for getting married

This was only 58 years ago, just a micro drop of time in history! I think sometimes we linger too much on our current struggles, issues, that we forget the achievements of the past. This was a monumental move of American society and something we all should be proud of. We have a long way to go, but we've come a long way as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I wonder at what point the government gained the power to have any say on who marries who.

The Constitution doesn't give that authority to the federal or state governments, it seems to me that right should be reserved to the people. Somewhere along the line the states just assumed that authority, the people didn't stand up for their rights, and now it's just generally accepted that the states have that authority.

Maybe there's a lesson there.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Loving.

Such a short time ago.
Race mixing was illegal, crazy

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Loving.

Such a short time ago.

Virginia is for lovers... Unless it was five decades ago and your skin melanin didn't match your partners.

Crazy the arrogance of man that they think they can project their beliefs onto another. It must take someone who's never found love to think you could choose yours.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Loving.

Such a short time ago.

Virginia is for lovers... Unless it was five decades ago and your skin melanin didn't match your partners.

Crazy the arrogance of man that they think they can project their beliefs onto another. It must take someone who's never found love to think you could choose yours.

I’ve been wanting to mention this for a while, but not that long ago I was sitting in the office of the publisher of a very large newspaper in the Deep South. It was the early 90s.

He was inviting us to a place called the oilmans club.
A place where the rich white dudes hang out.
He said to us “don’t worry there won’t be any “n-words” there. Unless they are bringing your soup. Haw haw haw!”

I skipped the invite and ordered room service.

I didn’t say anything to him, and it’s always bothered me that I didn’t call him out.

I was with a marketing group and they were trying to sell him computer hardware. Which is really why I didn’t speak up. And it still bothers me.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

When my in-laws were married in the early 50s, they had to marry on a military base because it was illegal for my mother-in-law to marry anyone according to Arizona state laws which forbade mixed race marriages. Not only are my in-laws different races, my mother-in-law is mixed race. She could not even marry someone of the same two mixed races as herself!

Their marriage was recognized by the state, but they had to do it under federal jurisdiction (I think that's the right word here).

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

When my in-laws were married in the early 50s, they had to marry on a military base because it was illegal for my mother-in-law to marry anyone according to Arizona state laws which forbade mixed race marriages. Not only are my in-laws different races, my mother-in-law is mixed race. She could not even marry someone of the same two mixed races as herself!

Their marriage was recognized by the state, but they had to do it under federal jurisdiction (I think that's the right word here).

Thanks for sharing Boadicea! My uncle married a woman from Indonesia in the early 60s. There were issues at that time. He lived in Oklahoma City. It's amazing.... in the land of the free.... they weren't really free...... they did divorce in the 80s but still... she made him happy.... never understood this government involvement. My family was rather supportive of the marriage as well....

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Crazy the arrogance of man that they think they can project their beliefs onto another.

I don't question your virtue...
But aren't you projecting your beliefs?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing Boadicea! My uncle married a woman from Indonesia in the early 60s. There were issues at that time. He lived in Oklahoma City. It's amazing.... in the land of the free.... they weren't really free...... they did divorce in the 80s but still... she made him happy.... never understood this government involvement. My family was rather supportive of the marriage as well....

It's crazy to think about, isn't it? I'm glad your uncle had the happiness while he did. There was probably a bit of outside pressure on the marriage to contend with as well. They can't be easy for anyone, no matter how much in love.

I have no doubt that my husband is the wonderful husband and father he is because of his parents. My in-laws are still happily married, and my mother-in-law is celebrating her 90th birthday this year. She's still a feisty little Mestizo tho! It's mind boggling that these two people should have been forbade from marrying. It's sad to think how many others were denied that lifetime of happiness.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Crazy the arrogance of man that they think they can project their beliefs onto another.

I don't question your virtue...
But aren't you projecting your beliefs?

Kind of.

But the US was founded on freedoms and liberties so long as your right doesn't infringe on another's.

So while I may be projecting a belief, it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone, because I'm not trying to limit their rights.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

that is what i dont comprehend

[ the opinion of the publisher cited in annecdote ]

how can a person have such hatred and contempt for others - to the point that sharing the same space as equals - is an utter anethma to them - but they will allow the group they cite as sontemptible - to handle thier food

i will admit - i am anti pidgeon [ the bird ] - i reffer to the mas sky-rats - and abhour them - and thier presence - but i would let them serve me food either

see the difference ?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I didn’t say anything to him, and it’s always bothered me that I didn’t call him out.

Could'a ... would'a ... should'a

I married outside of my race 35+ years ago. Me and the wife are fine with it. I've never received anything 'for it': effed up my relationship with my mom (probably for the best); one of my kids wished he hadn't been born (though he seems to be doing much better these days); innumerable (unexpected) encounters with bigots ...

What I'm saying here is that, doing something because you can, doesn't make you a trendsetter. Mavericks aren't much appreciated ... nor are their deeds. I don't care what the words of the cliché read like, you marry outside of your own kind, you might find yourself more alone than you imagined.

new topics

top topics

join