It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Punishing People the wrong way.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Presidential candidate Joe Biden wants to eliminate most punishments. That should help the problem.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: spacedoubt

The problem now is that everything is being excused by jamming it under the umbrella of "protest". By the way these modern democrat officials are handling things, the South was merely "protesting" when they seceded from the Union. It's no different from what these kids have done in declaring themselves no longer part of the US.

So what is and what is not protest?

I see people here calling riots protests. Calling rebellion protests, but calling people assembled and open carrying in accordance with laws in protest acts of open terrorism. What determines a protest?

Can you imagine if a group of tea patyiers took over a six block area of a town? The nation guard would be called in.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Whatever we are doing isn't working.

I read about a local woman that spit on a teen during a protest.
She has been arrested and charged with a hate crime.

Maybe we need to go back to an eye for an eye.

If you spit on someone (yes even a cop)
I think you should be put in a cage and set on a public street, and spit on by whomever wants to spit on you.
It should be broadcast on the internet. The funds raised (you know it would be a lot)
could be used to help victims of abuse.

Ummm...suppose that spit contains the aids virus...or COVID-19...or Ebola...or...?

What then...?

YouSir

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

originally posted by: spacedoubt

a reply to: JAGStorm
Protestors are a protected class now. I ask this question on another thread, why don't people go ballistic when a black cop kills a unarmed white man? Flame on....

Protesting IS protected. So, yeah.

Why don’t people go ballistic when the races are switched?
They should, why don’t they? I suppose they have a different sense of community. Less empathy towards “criminals” in general.

I also think the white vs police experience is very different than black vs police.

Have you every been low income areas of white people? The oppression by the police is just as real. Once they get known by they system the system will keep them under their thumb.

Do you think a poor white man is safer from the police than a poor black man?
If there were a minor incident involving two poor white people that required police assistance, versus the same incident between two black people, who do you think might be more likely to bypass calling the police for help?

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

We are certainly punishing drug related offenses incorrectly. I mean sure, if someone is totally wasted on ANYTHING and crashes a car then they should suffer for that very dumb decision.

If some person is just sitting around getting wasted and his or her spouse or friends or other family is sick of it and rats them out to the cops - well then they should be involved with some sort of rehab. I know that Portugal does that and initially it didn't seem to matter but a decade on now it seems that it does.

If my memory serves me right, their violent crime rate has bottomed and their incarceration rate as well. I mean nothing is perfect, but getting people help is always better than imprisoning them or ruining their lives with nonstop fines and legal hoops to jump through.

SO in summary, crimes with victims = throw the book at them
crimes with no victims other than the individual = get them help

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Well , here's one Suggestion .

Bring these Back to Town Squares , and Hand Out the Rotten Tomato's to the Public ....

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Are We Punishing People the wrong way.

Often a stern warning by a responsible adult will be enough dissuade the offender from further mischief.

But if that doesn't work, and I hate to advocate violence, but a sound spanking may be called for in drastic cases.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

SO in summary, crimes with victims = throw the book at them
crimes with no victims other than the individual = get them help

Yes, love this. Should financial crimes get jail time, or another sort of punishment?

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Financial crimes usually have victims, so yes, they should be prosecuted. The problem is that sort of crime usually involves people with money that can "buy" their way out of the trouble.

That is world wide, not just in the USA. It's a hard thing to deal with in any country.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I think you should be put in a cage and set on a public street, and spit on by whomever wants to spit on you.
It should be broadcast on the internet.

Absolutely great to talk with you now. Because i have never known anyone who lives in the medieval times. Public shaming

Give me a solid proof, that harsher penalties reduce crime. It has never worked, and it will not work now.
edit on 12-6-2020 by Finspiracy because: i fixed a typo

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Protestors are a protected class now. I ask this question on another thread, why don't people go ballistic when a black cop kills a unarmed white man? Flame on....

They should, why don’t they? I suppose they have a different sense of community. Less empathy towards “criminals” in general.

I also think the white vs police experience is very different than black vs police.

Have you every been low income areas of white people? The oppression by the police is just as real. Once they get known by they system the system will keep them under their thumb.

If there were a minor incident involving two poor white people that required police assistance, versus the same incident between two black people, who do you think might be more likely to bypass calling the police for help?

Both.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Public shaming

Give me a solid proof, that harsher penalties reduce crime. It has never worked, and it will not work now.

One word for proof------------------------------------ASIANS

Shaming works.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Public shaming

One word for proof------------------------------------ASIANS

Shaming works.

Shaming works
That is your mindset

Someone does something bad. Something criminal. And then we demolish his or her psyche. How do you rehabilitate back to society from that
When the person gets free from the punishment, he wants to get even and things are going as south as they can.

Would you spit on a caged person
When you have zero horses in the race
Well, now i at least know about your character a little bit better.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Both.

That’s the easy answer, but
you might be right.

You researched that did you?

Judging by interviews I’ve heard, read.
Blacks are much less likely to call the police.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius

Hate Crimes..why would you be against laws that protect against hate crimes are you a bigot?

I got admire the sinister Machiavellian genius of those in power and they way they sell their laws to the public and title them

*Hate crime*?

That is sooo ambiguous........its unfit for purpose.

The law protects people against discrimination, prejudice and hostility directed towards disability,
ethnicity, gender identity, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation. These are aspects of a
person’s identity described in the law on equality as ‘protected characteristics’.
The following definition has been agreed between the Police and the CPS for identifying cases
involving hostility based on protected characteristics:
“Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by
hostility or prejudice, based on a person’s disability or perceived disability; race or perceived
race; or religion or sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation or a person
who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.”

www.cps.gov.uk...

Now there's a word *Perceived* dictionary defination:

To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.
To achieve understanding of; apprehend.

More ambiguity? no defination...... just one persons view of another's actions? How

can anyone make a judgement of what is in another persons mind.....

Assumptions and you know what they say about assuming!!!

edit on 12-6-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Shaming works That is your mindset

It does work. Why do you think that Asians are called the "model minority".
It is not so much the act of shaming, as much as the FEAR of shaming.

When it comes straight down to it, we fear our parents.
We respect our elders. We respect authority.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=25238861]JAGStorm[/post

You know , People are " Shamed " Every Day and do not Even Know About it . That is Part of the " Shaming " ..............*)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Judging by interviews I’ve heard, read.
Blacks are much less likely to call the police.

And cultural viewpoints like "no snitchin'" and "snitches get stitches" has nothing to do with that?

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

With certain things the concept of cultural shame can go a long way.

It used to be a shameful thing to have to rely on the social safety net. No one wanted to admit to it. Now it's no big deal. Some people think of it as simply a normal way of being.

The same thing goes for single mothering through having children out of wedlock - not widowhood.

Shame in not taking pride in getting your education, at least the lower parts of it.

Those are things that over time produce measurable societal ills. Creating a bit a of cultural shame around those conditions and others like them wouldn't be a bad thing.

edit on 12-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I read about a local woman that spit on a teen during a protest.
She has been arrested and charged with a hate crime.

Maybe we need to go back to an eye for an eye.

If you spit on someone (yes even a cop)
It should be broadcast on the internet. The funds raised (you know it would be a lot)
could be used to help victims of abuse.

No. This is a ridiculous idea that merely hearkens back to less civilized times. That's exactly the wrong direction to go in and is exactly the kind of thing someone who would spit on someone would enjoy seeing happening on a larger scale. You don't stoop to their level to prove they're wrong.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join