It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Webb Telescope Launch has been delayed .... Again !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Words that anyone familiar with this project will be used to and sick of hearing but NASA has confirmed that James Webb will not launch next March due to the Corona virus , a new date should be announced in the coming months but don't hold your breath.

NASA has now confirmed what has been suspected since testing and integration was suspended three months ago, announcing last Wednesday that the planned March 2021 launch date has been scrapped.

"We will not launch in March," NASA associate administrator for science, Thomas Zurbuchen, explained during a meeting of the Space Studies Board of the National Academies.

"That is not in the cards right now. It's not because they did anything wrong."
www.sciencealert.com...

JWST was originally scheduled to launch sometime between 2007 to 2011 , it will now likely launch when the cows come home which could be anytime within the next 100 years !

Bloody ridiculous !!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

To be honest I would rather the budget be spent on the current efforts to relaunch the Space Program.

JWST is looking more and more like an expensive error.

edit on 12/6/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm convinced it won't happen.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I dont understand the corona virus excuse. That didn't stop SpaceX. But if they're having technical issues, I'd rather it be fixed down here rather than need a space repair like Hubble.

edit on 12-6-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Yeah Elon aint worried about no crow disease.

Funny how the rich have different laws than us regular Joes.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I predicted this years ago, no surprise really. The James Webb telescope can't keep up with technology.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Not a big shock, since they said they were being delayed back in March.

At least Perseverance isn't falling behind.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Was the Hubble project this dubious in it's start?

Why is JWST such a cluster of infuriation?

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Didnt look it up but if memory serves hubble was a train wreck at the start, but once they got it on line I think it was a great investment.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I wonder if the funds get replenished automatically...like in a videogame. ..

the only economy that never worries about a recession: NASA

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Maybe they’re afraid of what they’ll see.. delay tactics..

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   

For a while, it was kind of funny. Then I got angry. I think I tried bargaining with G-force. Then a sadness.

I have finally accepted the fact that JWST will not find life in my lifetime!!

wth??

What is it we are not to see??! Suddenly, we are backing up to the time astr0 said we either join (hey astr0! I did not vote for these idiots!! Can I hitch a ride??!) or we stranded on this dust speck with the mites and roaches.

*sigh*

I am black! And I am proud!! And am pretty damn sure we are not alone!!!

#SpaceTelescopeLivesMatter

Jean Luc, blow up the damn ship!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   
It's this simple - This kind of science isn't profitable......yet. And if it isn't profitable, you'd better be able to explain why it's useful and/or time-critical.

What does a telescope like this do? It looks at distant objects and allows scientists to satisfy their curiosities and log their observations for posterity. That's a hard sell when society is literally falling apart around us.

I'm assuming the scientists who conceived this project somehow managed to convince the government to fund it with some kind of marginal sales pitch that made it worth funding. I'm having a hard time guessing what they promised them though. Because I know the government does not care a bit about distant galaxies. There's a reason we're still limited to Earth orbit in space "exploration". Nothing else is economical enough to be profitable and there's apparently no real need to harvest any resources from space just yet. Unless they find out the moon is made of lithium or something. LOL
edit on 13-6-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I dont understand the corona virus excuse. That didn't stop SpaceX. But if they're having technical issues, I'd rather it be fixed down here rather than need a space repair like Hubble.

If i remember right, the James Webb Telescope will be a lot further out than Hubble and will be too far from earth to do repairs once it is in space.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Update:

The original delayed date was March 2021. But they have a new date this year (and if this does not scream CT at you then I own a bridge in London I would like to sell you!): October 31st.

Yeah. That day! All these years and we will send up the successor of Hubble ST to a Lagrange point to get the clearest sights of distant objects ever! No immediate profit from this but knowledge is its own reward! The further we can “see” the bigger our experiences are; this causes our minds to grow and we stop limiting ourselves. The spider’s web is an extension of its brain and is yet another sensory organ...

Hey! That is what the World Wide Web should be: an extension of our social selves instead of a place to look at naked people doing things that...

That is why this is priceless! And why we need to succeed (please Baby Jebus, no mega quakes in So Cal until after the ariane rocket lifts off on All Hallows’ Eve! Lovenly Thou’s, TEOTWAWKIAIFF)

To Infinity and beyond!!

edit on 13-1-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Verbs help sentences mean things!

edit on 13-1-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: First sentence was a real problem for me... been that kind of week...

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
I have finally accepted the fact that JWST will not find life in my lifetime!!

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Update:

The original delayed date was March 2021. But they have a new date this year (and if this does not scream CT at you then I own a bridge in London I would like to sell you!): October 31st.
So if you manage to live another year, you might be surprised and actually see the telescope launched?

At least they aren't trying to launch vehicle numbered 13 at 13:13 o'clock, I guess to prove they weren't superstitious, but that didn't work out so well, did it?

All Hallow's Eve is a different superstition, but apparently the space folks have some kind of thing for superstitions.

edit on 2021113 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I need to see when Sirius is rising that day to see if there is something to tale of “ritualistic” meanings to launches/landings.

Cool thing is, I haven’t looked and it can be either support the notion or have more to do with gravity/rotation and other nerdy science stuff!

A good science question and answer to that question!

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: opuscosmos

yeh I was going to say the same thing

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

It's just a NET date. Might go up then, might not. Definitely not before then though. That's all it's saying.

Also, pretty sure they announced that date ago.

new topics

top topics

join