It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While we're banning things, let's ban rap music. Now.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yes, there is rap music, and then there is rap music.

Violence, drugs, making women as objects to be abused... Things can't get much more messed up than that.

But that is not 100% of the rap game.

You, who are most enthusiastic about banning this genre, clearly do not understand the whole deal. That is usually what makes people hate stuff, any stuff. Lack of complete understanding.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: ColeYounger

Don't have to read your OP, the title is enough for me...where's the petition and how soon can i sign it?

Okay i see. You have book burning mentality. That has worked every time huh

Oh... Great Britain... Maybe if you were American, you would understand the concept of freedom of speech.

I dislike optimistic sceptics now. And i refuse that anyone's "mood status" is Cool.

Let's ban you. Where do i sign?

I would take this rap you speak of over this ridiculous National Anthem any day of the week. At least those songs have some proper lyrics not like this star spangled banner nonsense. I think you'll agree that us fine Brits are a little more advanced than our American cousins - none of this bowing to flags and touting guns on our hips like we are stuck in the Wild West. Perhaps it's down to the strong leadership we have in the UK. Many have compared our great leader to that of Mahatma Gandhi and I thoroughly agree.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
Yes, there is rap music, and then there is rap music.

Violence, drugs, making women as objects to be abused... Things can't get much more messed up than that.

But that is not 100% of the rap game.

You, who are most enthusiastic about banning this genre, clearly do not understand the whole deal. That is usually what makes people hate stuff, any stuff. Lack of complete understanding.

Facts! 100

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: kenodinks

Facts! 100

There's tons of good rap music. Thought-provoking and soulful. It most definitely has an impact on developing minds, and eliminating a lot of the angry, violent and drug-oriented rap would serve a great impact on the young who listen to it.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DougHole64

Don't be mad you lost. Now you are ruled by a fake useless family of elitists. (This is assuming your from England)

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
'Rap' is not music 'Rap' is vocal Dialogue

I think the term 'Rap' was named after a cinema Dialogue Coach to-the-Movie Stars...

his last name was Rapper
and you will find his name in the Film Credits ~as a voice or Dialogue Coach~ in Movies made before the 1950s or late 1940s

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Good idea. Never will you hear the n word more than you will in rap music. Never will you hear more about taking another black life than you will in rap music. Never will you hear about beating a woman more than you will in rap music. Those rappers stand for everything BlacKKK is supposed to be against. So if they're serious and not just a group of racists trying to shut down white people.....................................

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I can’t stand modern rap/hip hop. I find it created by and for the mindless.

But I will NEVER agree that banning it is a good way to go.

Without even touching on First Amendment issues, look what happened with the PRMC in the 80’s. They tried banning metal music and went all “They’re singin’ about the Devil!”, Ozzy Osborne and Judas Priest were sued by families who had lost children to suicide and they tried blaming those artists for causing it. Every lawyer and politician just looked like a dumbass in the process and the end result, stickering albums with a Parental Advisory sticker only led to increased album sales. Many artists from that era cite those stickers as giving them a boost in their success. Just like drugs, telling people NOT to partake in it’s usage only brought more people to do exactly that.

In the discussion of how things need to change, I’m of the belief that both sides of people in regards to race issues have work to do. This is going to fall on the fans and musicians to start saying “Hey, we’re not going to keep buying this stuff if it’s basically going to be a promotion for everything we’re trying to overcome.” And the musicians involved are going to have to decide if they want to start expressing something different.

Banning of music and art is not the way to go. Even if we do not perceive it as art, it still holds value in that sense to many. It’s always been a reflection of the current times and will continue to be so. Of course, some of it is contrived and there are plenty of suburban dipsh!ts trying to be cool and making themselves out to be all gangsta and thug. They usually get weeded out along the way.

As a lifelong musician who takes a lot of pride in my abilities and maintaining them, I often find my brain completely shutting off when I hear that stuff. I can’t stand so much of it appalling for many of the reasons already listed. It’s astounding to me that many who are broke as a joke are blasting songs about going to expensive clubs and ordering bottle service, making it rain, etc when they’ve never once stepped foot inside such a place. But that’s neither here nor there. For all I know, that could be their way of looking towards a future where they have the ability to do so. It is none of my business to judge how others perceive music and art.

On top of that, with today’s click and post society, it’ll be IMPOSSIBLE to shut down a form of music or art. You can get all your songs out in a matter of seconds by pushing Send or Post on any social media. There’s no way to prevent it from popping up continuously. Banning it will only drive more people to revolt against the ban. Hell, I’D start writing rap and hip hop just to revolt against the banning of it and I don’t even like it.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Ban the ones who use the n word or talk about killing people or talk about beating women. Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Finspiracy

Ban the ones who use the n word or talk about killing people or talk about beating women. Problem solved.

How are you going to prove that the lyrics weren’t written in through the eyes of a perpetrator?

I’ve written lyrics in the past that may sound like they’re very negative, but they were written as an exercise in trying to understand the motives of the people who have done wrong in my life. Those lyrics helped me move past certain issues I had pent up.

Nirvana’s “Polly” was written through the eyes of a woman’s rapist. It’s not condoning rape by any means.
www.openculture.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I've been saying this for a few years now. Rap/Hip-Hop culture is a root cause of trouble in some communities; it glorifies crime, drug use, promiscuity, and violence.

~Sovereign

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join