It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While we're banning things, let's ban rap music. Now.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: DBCowboy

We should never fight censorship with more censorship. You don't fight book burners with a bigger pyre.

As a believer in The Constitution, I would normally agree. But this is not a normal circumstance, These militants cannot be reasoned with. They will never acquiesce or agree to any resolutions. All they do is demand.

This is a case of fighting fire with fire. They need to see some serious pushback.

If they ban speech, speak.
If they ban books, write.
If they ban music, sing.
If they ban art, paint.

If you do, these days, they ban you.

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
-George R. R. Martin

I almost forgot ... silence is violence.

Eventually, the evil left will eat itself.

Ironically, history shows this but they're too busy rewriting history to actually learn from it.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Reply to DB and neo:

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
-George R. R. Martin

That should be posted on Facebook and Twitter.

I doubt Dorsey and Zuckerberg would even understand the concept!
edit on 11-6-2020 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Listen to this filth and use it as the reason to ban Rap.

edit on 11-6-2020 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

PMRC already tried that back in the 80's. Twisted Sisters Dee Snider's response was great.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Listen ... it's not that anyone really wants to, but what would your answer to cancel culture be?

The left is running around banning anything and everything and anyone and everyone that doesn't agree with them at the moment.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

PMRC already tried that back in the 80's. Twisted Sisters Dee Snider's response was great.

I was going to mention the PMRC but you beat me to it.

Banning Rap isn't the answer, the answer is changing the culture to turn away from it because they want to. Tipper and Co. tried that already with music in general. Aside from some warning labels it didn't go anywhere. That's because the 1st Amendment protects that as free speech. Everyone knows that but some of you sound like Tipper. I am a musician and I support everyone's right to say what they want in music. I don't like a lot of it but obviously some people do. Remember the flak Ice Tea got with his song "Cop Killer"? He ended up being an actor on Law & Order. A detective no less.

As far as the "demands" from BLM go, they can suck it. They don't deserve anything other than fair treatment from everyone, just like the rest of us. Banning things doesn't solve the want/need problem. Only changed hearts and minds can solve that problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

If banning things that are "offensive" didn't work for the PMRC, then please explain to me how it's working so successfully for black lives matter.
Why are "racist" books, movies, TV, advertisements, statues, paintings, school names, and street names getting banned? Twitter and Instagram are actually banning real, factual, crime statistics, taken from real databases, from being posted on their feeds, saying that it's racist.
We should take Twisted Sister's advice. Were Not Gonna Take It!

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

i got another demand, hell i got a bunch of them.

ban boy bands
ban bubble gum music
ban auto tune
ban all the caterwauling female vocalist that who can't sing and use auto tune
ban all wanna be rock and rollers country music stars
demand more blues
demand more soul
demand more rock and roll

edit on 11-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

We should never fight censorship with more censorship. You don't fight book burners with a bigger pyre.

As a believer in The Constitution, I would normally agree. But this is not a normal circumstance, These militants cannot be reasoned with. They will never acquiesce or agree to any resolutions. All they do is demand.

This is a case of fighting fire with fire. They need to see some serious pushback.

If they ban speech, speak.
If they ban books, write.
If they ban music, sing.
If they ban art, paint.

If you do, these days, they ban you.

-George R. R. Martin

I almost forgot ... silence is violence.

Eventually, the evil left will eat itself.

They have about 70% self-consumed at this point.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

To be fair you'd pretty much have to ban all music beyond classical, and even then I'm sure that would need to go. Cancel culture is going way too far right now and with double standards, but realize this is how the government eventually gets reason to infringe and it wont be pretty.
edit on 6/11/2020 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/11/2020 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Rap is not music. A guy talking with the odd "aww yeah bich" is not music. Ice tea cop killer is pretty much what kicked it off. C rap music.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   

If banning things that are "offensive" didn't work for the PMRC, then please explain to me how it's working so successfully for black lives matter.
Why are "racist" books, movies, TV, advertisements, statues, paintings, school names, and street names getting banned? Twitter and Instagram are actually banning real, factual, crime statistics, taken from real databases, from being posted on their feeds, saying that it's racist.
We should take Twisted Sister's advice. Were Not Gonna Take It!

Because no one has the guts or power to go against them due to the fear of being called a racist or worse, getting killed by someone for doing so. Social media companies are very powerful and influential. Those that have the means to fight them won't, those of us that want to, can't. We have no pull. Until people wake up and realize what's happening, not enough people will stand together against them to make a difference.

edit on 11-6-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
rap persists, still.

the best revenge is success 👌

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'm sure the more you ban stuff the more popular it gets???

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Rap and early hip hop started off as an outlet for youth to stay out of gang culture. Shortly after the 1968 riots in LA community leaders were looking for ways to channel hate and anger into something that wasn't gang related.

They were simply taking on an approach that black people in the US had turned to before in America, it was called R and B, Rhythm and Blues, the only thing black people had to turn to when being subjected to slavery and extreme racial discrimination, song and dance. Freedom of speech.

Humans tend to sing and make songs that directly affect them, perhaps you should have been listening to what they had to say the whole time. Now look at what's going on...

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Rap evolved from breakdancing.
rather than fighting they would breakdance.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

It's hard to say, they sort of started at the same time. Either way, it was a positive step in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't agree with a lot of what they propose. IMO a lot of the monuments, statues and other things need to stay in place so that it's in your face. That way we always see and don't forget what's happened before. How hard people have suffered for equality.

But I understand why they may feel that way.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Ya gotta work smarter. Ban electronic control pads. That'll stop 80 percent of the crap currently being produced.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join