It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi’s Kente cloth photo op hearkens to tradition of Ashanti slave ownership and trade

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I have to question what those scarves have to do with anything. They are symbols from Africa. The people they are supposed to be showing solidarity with are Americans. My heritage is English and Irish. If you tried to pander to me with a Union Jack scarf and a four leaf clover I'd want to punch your face. I'm American, you'd better use the Stars and Stripes.
edit on 6 11 2020 by underpass61 because: Added

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
Make of it what you will. The Congressional Black Caucus gave it to them to wear for the moment of silence.

I refuse to believe that the deafening sound of knees creaking, Botox skin wrinkling, and labored breathing wasn't heard throughout that "moment of silence." Such is the silence when you have a room full of Crypt Keepers trying to pose for a photo op.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
While I agree with you on the ridiculous symbolism , the stab at the Ashanti dress is in no way different from the Japanese Kimonos and other state dress at the time, yes they were a slave state not unlike Rome of a thousand yrs earlier, dressed in Togas, the article and you are over reaching .
And no! I do not excuse slave empires even when they are African.
Btw the name Ashanti literally mean because of war due to empire building at the time as different ethnic groups began to penetrate the forest zones, from the Savanna county in extreme compition.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Black Slave Owners
In case most of you viewers think I'm not gonna point fingers where it needs to be go here^^
edit on 11-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Add content

I will recommend two works.
A Fist Full Of Shells by Toby Green

African Dominion by Michael Gomez

Excellent works on African medieval trade network which includes slave trading.
edit on 11-6-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
a reply to: rickymouse

And some slave owners were black. At one point they believe blacks owned upward of 5000 black slaves in the US among them. Bring it up though and they throw a red flag on circumstance. To that I say what about those white kids born into being slave owners. They were also born into circumstance. Blacks have a very selective recollection of their contribution to slavery. They need to be reminded they sold themselves into slavery and also owned blacks. They are not entirely innocent in the whole US slavery era.

But it is in all of our pasts, it was their ancestors that were at fault unless they kept up the attitude that their ancestors had. Greed and desire for prestige has no color associated to it. it is not inherited, it is learned. Slavery here was abolished many moons ago but just because we get paid does not mean we are free. The people controlling the economy want us in debt because debt makes a slave of everyone. They lend us money to buy things we do not need which destroys our environment along with our freedom.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

And some slave owners were black. At one point they believe blacks owned upward of 5000 black slaves in the US among them. Bring it up though and they throw a red flag on circumstance. To that I say what about those white kids born into being slave owners. They were also born into circumstance. Blacks have a very selective recollection of their contribution to slavery. They need to be reminded they sold themselves into slavery and also owned blacks. They are not entirely innocent in the whole US slavery era.

But it is in all of our pasts, it was their ancestors that were at fault unless they kept up the attitude that their ancestors had. Greed and desire for prestige has no color associated to it. it is not inherited, it is learned. Slavery here was abolished many moons ago but just because we get paid does not mean we are free. The people controlling the economy want us in debt because debt makes a slave of everyone. They lend us money to buy things we do not need which destroys our environment along with our freedom.

Ricky I agree , but many moons ago could mean some old persons grandmother, definitely great grand parents.

However it was what came after slavery , the introduction of Jim Crow that's more important to us as a nation in terms of racial issues, even the symbolisms employed as devices to keep those descendants in their place for 90 yrs is still in place , rubbing it in their faces with a sense of triumphalism, masquerading as heritage .

For those who are Irish nationals it's like the march of the Orange men in the bad old days through Catholic neighborhoods.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Life's a bitch, get a helmet.

Sorry, but it seems that lesson needs learned by quite a few Americans these days.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
But we are still being covered in sht.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Join the club and, again, deal with it by frequently showering and personally avoiding the assholes specifically covering you... same as the rest of us do.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Join the club and, again, deal with it by frequently showering and personally avoiding the assholes specifically covering you... same as the rest of us do.

I bet that's tough to do in Alaska.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Know what?? can't argue with that in a personal level, but I do have the need to point out when something seems wrong.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Know what?? can't argue with that in a personal level, but I do have the need to point out when something seems wrong.

As everyone should.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I bet that's tough to do in Alaska.

...and, yet again, it's obvious you've never been here.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Ricky I agree , but many moons ago could mean some old persons grandmother, definitely great grand parents.

However it was what came after slavery , the introduction of Jim Crow that's more important to us as a nation in terms of racial issues, even the symbolisms employed as devices to keep those descendants in their place for 90 yrs is still in place , rubbing it in their faces with a sense of triumphalism, masquerading as heritage .

For those who are Irish nationals it's like the march of the Orange men in the bad old days through Catholic neighborhoods.

None of my great grandparents or grandparents were even in America when there were slaves around. The earliest of my relatives to come from Finland was in the eighteen nineties. My grandfather came here in the early nineteen hundreds, and like my grandmothers father worked his tail off in the mine under poor working conditions till they got enough to lease some land and build a house. They paid the lease for fifty years or so. They farmed to make a living which was very hard work back when there were no tractors to work with, plows were pulled by horses. they worked their tails off on the farm to pay the lease, taxes, and after maybe nineteen twenty five, the electric bill.

People think that only slaves had it hard, everyday farmers used outhouses and handpumps to get their water from shallow wells that had to be cleaned out every so many years or the water got yucky. They stored their food in rootcellers and they did not have refrigerators at all, maybe an ice box for keeping things cold till the electricity came in. One good thing, my grandfather had to take the horse and buggy to work at the mine fifteen miles away and he stopped at the bar about eight miles from home quite a bit on his way home from work. The horse knew his way home, many times he passed out while driving home after the bar after work..

Farmers in rural areas did not have a much better life than the blacks back then. City folks did have some conveniences, but even us, we had a Jungers heater when we were growing up to heat the house in the winter, and just a woodstove at the farm for heat.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Yeah , Ironic eh ? Maybe the Dems are sending Out Subliminal Messages here . You know " Bow to your Masters Mr. Afro Man " , or No Soup for You ! ...Hmm....

edit on 12-6-2020 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Yep, it's like constant little reminders that they Africans, even if they have been here for generations. They never want them to forget that they are here by chance, not by choice.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Yep, it's like constant little reminders that they Africans, even if they have been here for generations. They never want them to forget that they are here by chance, not by choice.

Yes . Sadly , the Democratic Party here in the United States Thrives on Alleged " Racism " in EVERY Facet of American Life . Truth is , there has been Little of that in the Last 47 Years , but they Still have to Cling to the Perpetual Illusion to Somehow Stay Relevant in U.S. Politics Today.......

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join