It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Sheriff Starting Posse as Community Outreach/Rapid Response Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Canadian County Sheriff starting Posse

The Oklahoma frontier was once walked by many cowboys and lawmen. West said he’s aiming for this to be like a community outreach program.

“I am just trying to help facilitate citizens of our county,” he said. “It might have some alarming connotation to it, that’s not my intention at all.”

West sent out a news release Tuesday afternoon, saying in part the posse would be used as a “rapid response force of citizens who could be called upon ‘in a minute’s notice’ to answer the call to aid in safeguarding lives and property, as well as the constitutional rights of innocent law-abiding citizens of Canadian County.”

The application says no LE or Mil experience needed

Personally i think this is a viable answer to mob rule. Sheriffs are elected officials so this could be a useful tool that is at least somewhat in the citizenry's grasp.

Or does this just add to "the problem". Emphasis on quotes.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RelentlessLurkage

Where I live we have an unofficial version of this. Just a group of people, pretty much everybody knows everybody else and local law enforcement can rely on them. Most of it has been searches for missing children or people, traffic control during emergencies and for the first time a few weeks ago, protection of the town. It used to be common a while back. It was the basis for volunteer fire departments.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Seems like it's just asking for trouble. What happens when someone in this "posse" inevitably kills someone?

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

"Inevitably"
The pearl clutching.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Seems like it's just asking for trouble. What happens when someone in this "posse" inevitably kills someone?

Just guessing here but....

...investigation/trial?

...like anything else...?

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Well, what if that person they inevitably kill is someone who was going to inevitably kill someone else?

I think its a great idea. In Georgia, any Sheriff can deputize anyone - even someone not living in their county. Maybe I should go talk to my local Sheriff and see if they have any inclinations to something like this.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Seems to me this is sort of a temporary deputization for a specific task/mission or duration.

It would allow the utilization of volunteer resources and skillsets in a very rapid manner while still operating in an official capacity.

If a normal police force is unavailable or nonexistant, or simply doesnt have the manpower for an official duty....why not reach out to a willing public?

I can think of a few places that would benifit from such a network right now.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

If this comes available in my area I would 100% sign up.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

That's awesome, like on the Simpson's when Homer started a merry band of goons.
I believe one of them carried a pillow case full of door knobs.

Shoot, I'd sign up.
edit on 11-6-2020 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Kind of reminds me of something that I read once about a "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State ..."

Anybody remember where that is?
:
edit on 2020 6 11 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Yeah, same question! Where does the authority end? I think we need that clearly established otherwise it really will be a Wild West- with noon hangings and all!

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Double post. My apologies, I’m new and on mobile!
edit on 19-6-2020 by LOGICGUY because: User error.

top topics

join