It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe tells US: 'Come to Europa'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The next big cooperative European-US space mission will be to Europa, the ice-crusted moon of Jupiter.

A joint working team is being set up to consider what sort of spacecraft would be needed and what each side could do.

Officials in Washington and Paris are keen to follow up the spectacular success of Cassini-Huygens at Saturn.

"It was a beautiful marriage and we really are looking to do a repeat," said Professor David Southwood, from the European Space Agency (Esa).

Southwood told the BBC News website that "Europe could do Europa on its own", but that a cooperative venture was extremely attractive.

more

finally some cooperation agian fine plan

[edit on 14-3-2005 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
That is fantastic news!
Since NASA's JIMO mission has been pretty much canceled, maybe now the research that went into that can aid Europe. I was beginning to doubt that we would ever get to go to Europa. Glad to hear that Europe wants to go there with or with out the US.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
All these worlds are yours *except Europa. Attempt no landings there. "

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is really good news! Europa in my opinion is a more attractive spot than mars. But Im just relieved that this project is still alive. I read a while ago that funding was drastically cut to JIMO under the new Bush initiative, but the new European interest on a joint venture looks like this mission is finally going to be cemented into a deadline and not put on the shelf.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I wonder if theyll find life underneat the frozen top of the ocean.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
^^ Don't we all!

This sounds very exciting, updates on this would be wonderful!

-wD

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I dont think JIMO is canceled. Nasa has just moved it back a bit, because there would be so many "firsts" involved with it, that they would rather takes steps and not leaps. like Ion engines, which are fairly new to the game, and it would be nuclear powered, a first, and its size would be pretty big, and they have never had a craft enter into a orbit and escape it and go to another. Nasa hasn't given up on Prometheus just yet, I think there planning a mission to prove some of the technologies involved with it, instead of putting all there eggs in one basket and hope everything is integrated perfectly.

Its kinda funny that Europe wants to go to Europa.

Its an obvious choise though. I wonder if they plan on just attaching there tiny lander on JIMO, or if they are the ones who will be building the larger craft. Huygens wasn't all that great, and beagle 2 didn't quit pan out either...so if I was in charge of Nasa...I would turn this one down.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Any landers must be semi-autonomous probes, like Spirit and opportunity. You really cannot getthat much information from a static probe.. its better then nothing. But it is eventually a let down to the public.

top topics

join