It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broward County, FL police rolling out training program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Now, this is what I call effective policing. Broward County police is implementing a county-wide initiative addressing racial bias and discriminatory practices to help reform within the communities.

IMO, it's a bottom's up approach but a most welcomed one. Their 5 point plan includes:

- eradicating bad officers
- a review of the use of force policies
- educating officers on systemic racism and bias
- training and tracking the behavior of officers
- building trust, transparency and accountability within the community.

The initial plan was funded for $500k but they pumped another $500k for a cool $1M go at it. This is a great start and I can only hope the plan is implemented effectively, measured, monitored and tweaked for success.

Hopefully more counties, states and jurisdictions follow suit and lead the way towards full criminal reform. This is positive news and can only go up from here. Big thumbs up, Broward County!

Broward County vows to eradicate systemic racism within the communities

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

this is completely opposite of the current initiative. Defund the police. (some leftover will be along soon to explain why that doesn't mean what it says)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

this is completely opposite of the current initiative. Defund the police. (some leftover will be along soon to explain why that doesn't mean what it says)

Yes, I was never a fan of defunding the police. They need to be empowered with new charters and everything they do, based on the new initiatives, must be monitored for success. The Corrections Department and Courts also must be held accountable for a more comprehensive reform justice system initiative. Until that happens, we will keep having breakdowns in communication, trust and effective policing. It should have been a top down approach but it's good to see it being driven from the bottom up, this time.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is how it should be done. Pay them more. Make it a prestigious thing to get your firearm, and a shame every time you draw it. More training, more salary, and a more in depth psyche eval.

Love my state. A lot of things get said about Florida, but we love freedom, our state, and America down here, regardless of parentage.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
So perfect timing !!!

What happened last year ?

😃☑️

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

in reality, I think the combination of listening to the public that the police serve, coupled with educating that same group of what is acceptable and what isn't would go a long way.

both sides.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I once had a cop walk up to my car window hand on weapon in his holster because I flagged him down about a car accident. I flagged him down because I didn't have my cell phone and this is in a very VERY white neck of the woods.

I wonder if I had done the same thing 20 years before? Cop would have probably been calm and just talked to me instead of behaving as if I wanted to start trouble with him.

Maybe society f'ing with cops all the time is also part of the problem. But nah, that just couldn't be, could it. Maybe we need mandatory classes in grade school, and high school, and colleges on how to behave when dealing with a police officer?

ANyway, Broward - is that the same county where a certain someone was found dead on a beach after messing with Debbie Wasserman-Schultz? Or is that a different county?
edit on 10-6-2020 by Fools because: .

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

in reality, I think the combination of listening to the public that the police serve, coupled with educating that same group of what is acceptable and what isn't would go a long way.

both sides.

Agreed, 100%.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Isn’t this the county in Florida that is just as corrupt as Dade? I mean isn’t this the place where the Black cop was found dead on the beach from a gunshot and they ruled it a suicide without finding the gun? Just askin....

But, ya know, good for them. Hope it works out

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I once had a cop walk up to my car window hand on weapon in his holster because I flagged him down about a car accident. I flagged him down because I didn't have my cell phone and this is in a very VERY white neck of the woods.

I wonder if I had done the same thing 20 years before? Cop would have probably been calm and just talked to me instead of behaving as if I wanted to start trouble with him.

Maybe society f'ing with cops all the time is also part of the problem. But nah, that just couldn't be, could it. Maybe we need mandatory classes in grade school, and high school, and colleges on how to behave when dealing with a police officer?

ANyway, Broward - is that the same county where a certain someone was found dead on a beach after messing with Debbie Wasserman-Schultz? Or is that a different county?

Not necessarily. Remember, the police is in a position of power, both from a training and knowledge perspective. We expect them to know better. We expect them to enforce the law effectively. I don't think you can count on the local drug dealer or common criminal to know better than folks who are supposed to be trained to handle critical situations on a daily basis.

I do agree we probably also need police sensitivity training and how to respond to the police. Most 1/2 intelligent people know how to deal with the police respectfully but maybe the educational system can free up some funds to address communication with law enforcement.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hopefully they saved some money to put into active shooter situations since they seem to suck at those.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wow... decades of police brutality in the street and on the news and by golly gee there's nuttin' they can do about it...

A week of talking about defunding and disbanding police departments, and suddenly they not only recognize and acknowledge the problem, they've also got a solution for it!

Funny how that works...

edit on 10-6-2020 by Boadicea because: clarity

(post by Jg513 removed for a manners violation)

top topics

join