It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Capital is racist. We must do better.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
PEOPLE who see racism everywhere they look are in fact racists. This is not the same country that it was in 1776, nor 1886 nor 1996. We continually adapt and improve ourselves. Tell me one other nation that has done so without coming to a complete and total collapse of its society. The United States of America is truly unique in that regard apparently. Unfortunately, there are forces at work today that want to drag the United States down to the rest of the worlds level and eliminate the shining beacon that draws so many to its light. Why is it that if we are so bad, that so many people are trying to get in?
It’s because we take care of our own, never rest on our laurels, and work continually to improve ourselves on a daily basis.

You can choose to be part of it, or you can tear it down. But after you tear it down where are you going to go? There is no other country in the world that will let you get away with what you were attempting to do by tearing it down. You will be shot. Is that the future you really want for your children.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FirePilotFilson

Unfortunately, there are forces at work today that want to drag the United States down to the rest of the worlds level and eliminate the shining beacon that draws so many to its light.

Poppycock. Or are you in a dreamworld?

The US barely makes the list of the top ten countries where people would like to live.

I think America needs to try and get itself higher up that list.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: ketsuko

I keep hoping someone from the opposition would come along and admit that perhaps things are moving a bit towards the lunatic side, but they don't. Does that signify acceptance? Or is it just fear of being ridiculed by their peers?

I feel like no one really cares. A monument doesn't need to be a good thing. It represents history. If someone has a problem with history, let that be a reminder of how far we've come and how much better the future can be.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I would prefer we were a bit further down the list, stops people from wanting to come here which is quite alright by me.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: network dude

single out southern civil war generals

Not so simple. What do the statues stand for? When were they erected and for what reason?

Was X confederate statue erected as an insult to black civil rights?

The confederate fought in favor of slavery. That's something they stoud for. Thomas Jefferson isn't really a symbol of slavery.

In the year 1840, slavery was acceptable to some, both norther and southern. Not sure if you know this, but things used to be a lot different then they are today.

Did you know that in the 1960's, a black person couldn't drink from the same water fountain as a white person?

Now, in the year 2020, things have changed a lot. Some people from 1960 are still around. Should we round them up and put them in jail? Or did they just do what people did back then, and even they adopted and changed with the times?

As I travel around my area, there are plackards all over telling of battles that happened during the Civil War, marches that happened, where famous people camped. It's history. It happened. When I read one of those palckards, I'm not magically drawn to have the will to go oppress someone with different levels of melanin in their skin, I just think, wow, I wonder what this place looked like back then. But the current mindset is to remove any and all references to that time. because feelz. # feelz.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
a reply to: alldaylong

I would prefer we were a bit further down the list, stops people from wanting to come here which is quite alright by me.

Well if you want lower standard of living than other countries then be happy.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Congress is racist!

Remove them all!

Some took a knee and forgave themselves for being racists all their lives.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Likely it wont stop at confederate statutes all history will be erased and a new one will be taught.

If you don't like the reeducation off to the Gulag or Bullet to the back of the head.

They are destroying statues in Europe as well this does not end with Just those who practiced slavery it ends when all

history is erased so the new regime can give us their version of history.

At least that is what I see happening.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Racism is overrated, I got enough hate for everyone they dont have to be any certain color. Matter of fact, I know more white people I hate than any other color people, and I'm white.

The past is the past, impossible to change. Tear down whatever you want, so long as it isn't mine, and I could care less. Our country is rotting away from it's own corruption.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

to be precise, we would have to rename ourselves from homo sapiens to 'just sometimes homo sapiens'.

we are a curious species, we want to learn, we want to go to the stars, we want to defeat death, we want to understand everything. we are constantly changing, kings come, kings die, cultures grow up or die out, language changes, traditions, architecture, some things are forgotten, some things remain. and if the statue of a slave trader is sunk in the sea, it probably means that it is no longer wanted. i won't miss it either.
edit on 10-6-2020 by oloufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Yeah!

Remember when everyone forgot about the Nazis after Germany removed all their monuments devoted to them?

It's interesting how everyone focuses on Civil War monuments but no one wants to discuss the fact that there's no monument to Benedict Arnold at West Point. The Army must really hate America if they're not willing to construct a monument immortalizing its most famous traitor.
edit on 6/10/2020 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699
The slaves were not by any means losers. They were well fed and taken care of in a majority of cases.

Yea, who cares if they were slaves right? They were well fed. What a dumbass comment.

And for the record I think destroying monuments is pretty dumb before any of yall try to jump on me about it.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

It's not just statues. They are tearing down pictures of honorees in places because not enough of them are POC and that offends the people of color because they don't see themselves represented. So instead of using it as inspiration to get their own butts on that wall, they whine about it and make sure no one can be on that wall.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You know maybe Im wrong.

I guess we will have to see how things play out maybe we are on the verge of a utopia here.

Just got to wait and see how things play out.

Time will tell.

Maybe this seeming global revolution is leading to something good.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Why would there be? Arnold wasn't a military genius.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

He was placed in charge of West Point by Washington. Arnold planned to switch sides and surrender the fort to the British.

Seems like there should be a statue of him there. I mean I'm told we need to have a memorial for every historical event so we don't forget it.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: FirePilotFilson

Unfortunately, there are forces at work today that want to drag the United States down to the rest of the worlds level and eliminate the shining beacon that draws so many to its light.

Poppycock. Or are you in a dreamworld?

The US barely makes the list of the top ten countries where people would like to live.

I think America needs to try and get itself higher up that list.

Police and educators tend to be paid more and have better rates of success in those countries.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
All Mayan temples should be destroyed. They murdered people with human sacrifices. All Roman artifacts should be destroyed. They practiced slavery. Same for the Spartans....meh.

Eventually almost every historical thing will have to be destroyed. This will prevent it from happening again as the saying goes.

link   

Where does that happen...?

link   

That perspective is delusional. Ignorant of history, and completely wrong.

The first slave owner in America, was a black man.
The FIRST slaves, were sold by their own families.

The United States of America, is the SECOND Nation in History, to make slavery illegal.

The Emancipation Proclamation, ever heard of it?

No, I seriously doubt you have, for if you had, you would understand the falsehoods of your current understanding.

America elected it's first black President. That's not racist.

The obuma regime, did nothing to remove institutional racisms. If anything the obuma regime, reinvigorated the counter culture BS of the 60s &70s as a way to relive their "Glory Daze"....

Because they never had real glory days.
Think about it this way.

Why?

Why go backwards as a society, setting the future generations up for failure, instead of success.

Again, why...?

Not just obuma, any democrat.

edit on 10-6-2020 by ADVISOR because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join