It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

remove all statues. All of them.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's to the point that artwork is intimidating. We can't be one sided and just be angry at the civil war statues. ALL STATUES MATTER! and it removing statues is the cool thing to do these days, then not tearing down a statue will make it seem much less significant. Think of how marginalized a MLK statue might feel, knowing that the Robert E. Lee statue down the street was given so much more attention, spray paint, bodily fluids, and anger.

We tout ourselves as an all inclusive society. It's time we start acting like it. And don't wait for any official word on this, we need to do it the new way. Assemble a mob, scream loudly, and tear that sh!t down. All of it. We will have to re-evaluate paintings soon, but for now, they can remain.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't know about you, but modern art is downright scary. I mean, have you seen a Jackson Pollack with all those aggressive and intimidating dots and squiggles of violent color everywhere?!

That stuff's just not decent and sends the wrong message.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   

this is probably why idolatry is considered a sin in Christianity and Islam, because it creates conflict.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   

In 1945 they removed all statues and regalia of the Nazi’s

Because they did something that humanity all agree was heinous

People just want to do that now for the same reason

Does that not make sense ?

Or is the argument that it’s art, too strong to balance out the suffering and deaths of people

FBJ

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I'd offer to take them but I don't have the room. Let me know when they get to the paintings, I have my eye on some Monet's.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: flashbackjack

In 1945 the war had just ended. This is well over 100 years post-conflict.

Do you sympathize with the Taliban's removal of all statues and monuments they consider to be idolatrous and heinous?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

When does the book burning start?

I like Smores.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: flashbackjack

In 1945 they removed all statues and regalia of the Nazi’s

Because they did something that humanity all agree was heinous

People just want to do that now for the same reason

Does that not make sense ?

Or is the argument that it’s art, too strong to balance out the suffering and deaths of people

FBJ

And yet Auschwitz still stands today. Perhaps as a reminder to what pure evil looks like in person. But how on Earth can you reconcile that with what you just said?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

LOL, well, after the brass statues were attempted to be ignited, the crowd grew angry and needed some real fuel for the fire. Books just make sense. They are made our of paper, Paper floats, witches float, paper burns, therefore: Burn the witch.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

this is probably why idolatry is considered a sin in Christianity and Islam, because it creates conflict.

suddenly. For years and years, the statues just stood there. Being pooped on by birds. And now? where will the birds poop?

Bird poop matters.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I will refer you to the tons of otherwise offensive and sacrilegious art that is produced and lauded these days despite being highly offensive.

If it's OK to allow art to offend some groups, then it's perfectly OK to allow it to offend others.

There is no right to not ever be offended.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

time.com...

why is this OK, but others aren't?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ketsuko, network dude

You clearly cannot control created depictions of whatever in a free society
But you can show compassion to those who have been oppressed by removing images that are offensive to a race

Ketsuko and your reference to the taliban and your additional post
The Taliban chose to remove those statues, which was derided throughout the world
It was their country after all and they were the ‘elected’ leaders
Yes it should not have happened but it did and no one stopped them
I didn’t see seal team six or any other countries assets running to their aid
And yes the loss of art is mourned
But that also goes for the Iraqi museums destroyed in the war that was not protected by the forces holding claim to the city does it ?

And network dude
Auschwitz was left as a reminder of mans ability to forget who and what we are
If you don’t know that then you have much to learn

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

time.com...

why is this OK, but others aren't?

Man do your homework and watch the film made about this protest

You clearly show you have very little understanding of facts

Yet you like to post links trying to uphold your beliefs

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Can't burn books.

Global warming!

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We should take a collective measured approach to do something creative, appropriate and positive with these statues and in the meantime we should dress them in women's clothing and make-up! Or maybe rap culture garb!

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

But leaving up the statues of Confederate Generals isn't a similar reminder of where we've been and who and what we are and can be? OH, that's right, it hurts the wrong feelz and some feelz are more equal than the feelz of others because you cannot tell me that visiting Auschwitz is not a simply monstrous thing for a Jew.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A single statue can be removed as it was placed for the glorification of the person

That is not what auschwitz was built for and the plan was to have it destroyed upon the completion of its job
To hide what they did

That’s why people want the statues removed
They glorify the intent

edit on 10-6-2020 by flashbackjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: washy76

Putting them in sports gear, wearing gold chains might give the impression that Jimmy Saville was someone to admire.

Probably not going to be a popular thing in the long run.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: flashbackjack

And network dude
Auschwitz was left as a reminder of mans ability to forget who and what we are
If you don’t know that then you have much to learn

the arrogance you exude is astounding.

as far as communication, you have a lot to learn as well it seems.

If you can step down from that horse for a minute, you may realize that my point is removing statues won't change the history behind them. It's currently a southern thing, but soon enough it will come to the northland. And when it does, it might be understood a bit more.

The balphonemt statue was in my opinion, a way to personify this movement, prove that freedom of speech and freedom of expression is real, and some folks take themselves way too seriously. Satanism isn't really about worshiping Satan, it's about mocking Christianity.

And just as the Westboro babtist church had it's right to their brand of hate speech, all others have the same freedoms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join