It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HBO Caves Temporarily Blacklists "Gone With The Wind" What's Next?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
On Tuesday, HBO Max removed “Gone With the Wind” from their playlist, saying that it would eventually return, only after it's paired with a "discussion" on the racist depictions shown in the film.

This was initiated after Oscar-winner screenwriter John Ridley stated in a op-ed, that ‘Gone With the Wind’ is a film that, when it is not ignoring the horrors of slavery, pauses only to perpetuate some of the most painful stereotypes of people of color.

An HBO Max spokesperson says “Gone With the Wind” will eventually return to the platform with a discussion about its historical context and a denouncement of its racist depictions.

“These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”

variety.com...

So, what other films will be "blacklisted" in the future? Will they need to be presented with a discussion before they're shown again? What if the "Woke" crowd pushes for these films to be permanently banned?

We have seen companies cave to their demands already, like Paramount Network, which cancelled the popular show "Cops," as a result of George Floyd's death.

Cops, whose 33rd season was slated to premiere yesterday, has been off the air since June 1 when it was pulled with no plans to run any additional episodes.

deadline.com...

"There’s more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches." – Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

The Woke Taliban are literally toppling statues, literally rewriting history, literally creating their own caliphate, literally renaming streets, literally forcing people to their knees, so of course the destruction and desecration of art is part and parcel.

Buy hard copies of the art you love — books, movies, TV, music — because it is all about to quietly and not-so-quietly disappear.

Purchasing a digital copy is not enough. Fascists like Amazon will either delete entirely or desecrate your digital copies with censorship.

No content is safe because no content can meet the Woke Taliban’s list of demands, which is by design…

LINK

Well, I already have a "hard copy" of one of my favorite comedies of all time. I suppose there are those who will label me a "racist" for owning such a movie. Nope, I have black neighbors on either side of me, who I love like family. Perhaps my taste in comedy is not the same as yours...does that mean we have to ban any comedy movie, or performance that offends some people?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

What a joke. You can’t just simply erase our history.

It happened. Deal with it people.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Elmer Fud no longer carries a gun.

Hollywood Snipping about Historical accuracy when there are literally thousands of action movies where guns never run out of ammo.

Cops no longer. Hollylame instantly loses billions of dollars because there's quite a few other ones that have been on for decades.

EFF those commies.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Even though I love that movie I'm not the owner of this company.

It's not up to me or anyone else what a private citizen allows on their property.

You are not guaranteed the right to watch movies.

This entitled bs coming from some people is pathetic.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I am confused, help me out is this hate acting?

I wonder where Ben Stiller is riding this storm out?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleepThis entitled bs coming from some people is pathetic.

the only BS entitlement at issue right now is the 'woke' masses virtue-signalling in a frenzy of destructive ire. they go too far. there will be pushback.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
If we stamp out all traces of the history of racism and slavery, we'll eventually get to the generation that wonders if it ever really happened.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
HBO Max is just getting started, and it starts with DemoKKKratic politics and muh-racism....

I will be cancelling my next month subscription with HBO. F-them.

edit on 10-6-2020 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

because you technically cannot possibly discern the difference between a mocumentary of a a comedy movie vs say... this below...
you will reduce to a simple difference in opinion, as to be expected, but there is a glaring continuity difference between these two films

it's this shameless dismissal of racism and making false equivalence with completely different things that's fanning the flames 9f the problems today.

this world of 'pretend' you lot play...

I'm surprise I haven't seen 'they' used in a condescending manner or 'animals' as sly asides, maybe by page 3..

yes, the buck stops here..

edit on 10-6-2020 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Some call it woke, but I prefer the term pussification. Blain and his minigun said it best -

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Well then WTF is this then?

Still confused and now also scared

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

yes, the buck stops here..

Didn't stop with blackfaces Treadeau and Northram.

But I guess outrage comes down to which letter one has beside their names.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hattie McDaniel was the first black Academy Award winner in 1939 for GWTW. It was a ground breaking movie for black actors. Removing the movie removes this contribution as well. Whoever made this cancel culture call also cancelled her legacy.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   

So it's okay to blacklist, but is it okay to whitewash history?

*shrugs*

Next week they'll be burning books.

I'd say "Call the cops" but they won't exist much longer either.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Antifa will be doing that.

Gunz,books.

Forced entry to remove offensive things.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   

What's next?

I don't know but eventually they'll be wanting Year Zero.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Buy hard copies of the art you love — books, movies, TV, music — because it is all about to quietly and not-so-quietly disappear.

Purchasing a digital copy is not enough. Fascists like Amazon will either delete entirely or desecrate your digital copies with censorship.

No content is safe because no content can meet the Woke Taliban’s list of demands, which is by design…

You see, it’s all about terrorizing us with Kafka-esque rules, which means there are no rules, which means we’re always terrorized and therefore timid.

Woke Fascism
edit on 10-6-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   
But according to one ATS poster:

You are not guaranteed the right to watch movies.

You're only "guaranteed" to watch the movies that the "woke" crowd allows you to watch, because it doesn't offend them.

At least we have "the right" to purchases movies.

‘Gone With the Wind’ Number One Best Seller at Amazon After HBO Blacklist

The film was the number one bestselling film on Amazon early Wednesday morning, even though both DVDs and Blu-ray discs were sold out.

LINK
edit on 6/10/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They're getting there.

Decolonize your bookshelf.

If you are white, take a moment to examine your bookshelf. What do you see? What books and authors have you allowed to influence your worldview, and how you process the issues of racism and prejudice toward the disenfranchised? Have you considered that, if you identify as white and read only the work of white authors, you are in some ways listening to an extension of your own voice on repeat? While the details and depth of experience may differ, white voices have dominated what has been considered canon for eons. That means non-white readers have had to process stories and historical events through a white author's lens. The problem goes deeper than that, anyway, considering that even now 76% of publishing professionals — the people you might call the gatekeepers — are white.

And lest I be accused of using "wrongsource", this is NPR publishing this advice.

If the books you read are mostly by whites, then you might be a racist or only seeing things through that white racist lens.

Meanwhile, the media is busy "decolonizing" their opinion pages. The NYT editor has asked those in her opinion room to email her immediately if they see any opinion pieces that give them "pause" in any way. So the NYT will no longer tolerate any "wrongthink" to be published in their editorial pages. Publishing that nasty Tom Cotton was enough and a bridge too far and the man responsible for that has been sacked.

edit on 10-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It started with Star Wars. Who actually has copies before they were "improved"?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join