It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Propaganda Outlet Paid Millions To Washington Post, Wall Street Journal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   
We know the CCP/PLA has been actively recruiting college professors and research scientist because of the news article about some being caught. The propaganda arm of the communist know very well how to instill and steer in the public's mind a desired PLA direction towards an outcome. In many cases if you can sow doubt in one's long held beliefs then you have accomplished your mission.

At first I was on the side of "why accept money from the Communist to run propaganda" but then I thought, something along the lines of freedom of speech and all the add revenue the papers were getting from the propaganda pieces..?

How many other subversives are funding advertisements in the form of hard hitting opinion pieces or blatant fake news ? How many talking heads at CNN and MSN are getting funding under the table or directed by the owners for their Fake news ?

I just find it hard to believe anyone can be so stupid on their own... Much less believe some of their propaganda....

A Chinese propaganda outlet paid millions of dollars to The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal to run advertisements made to look like news reports.
New documents filed with the U.S. Department of Justice show China Daily paid over $4.6 million to the Post and nearly $6 million to the Journal since November 2016.

China Daily, an English-language newspaper, is overseen by the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) Publicity Department, the governmental agency in charge of disseminating propaganda.

Over the past few years, it has spent millions running supplements - called “China Watch” - containing propaganda disguised as news, in major U.S. newspapers including the Journal, The New York Times, and the Post.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:04 AM
link   
not present, examples of propaganda...

advertisements that look to some like news reports.

so like advertisment online that look like news? like every outlets do?

this is a sourced article from epoch times which itself is just a blog opinion with not one clear example, and that article was sourced from another outlet...

propaganda eh...

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   
If those are US media outlets, that cannot call themselves news if they take money from China.

I'm certain one of our billions of laws says so.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It's easy for leftist to sell out America because they constantly bet agaisnt it.

This admin has been placing china in a tough spot.

Earlier this year, the state department designated China Daily, along with four other Chinese state-run media operating in the United States, as foreign missions over their role as propaganda organs of the CCP. It also slashed the number of Chinese staff allowed to work at the outlets’ U.S. offices.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

How did the "Chinese money" get into the American academic system. Care to clarify that?

Do you know how academic research grants are administered? Why not share?

Or do you want to quote Zero Hedge and Gateway Pundit and demonstrate that your posts are based on extremist political hackery?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

LOL ...

Trump’s China policy has been a gold-leaf wrapped gift to Beijing, creating space for Xi to consolidate his power domestically and expand his influence abroad. And now, as Trump seeks to deflect attention from his catastrophic failure to lead a national response to COVID-19, he is cozying up to the China hawks. Trump is hoping no one will notice that he has been the best U.S. president for Chinese interests in our nation’s short history.

His disastrous China policy is, of course, centered on a bungling myopia. Trump cannot focus on any other China-related topic because of his naive pipe dream that he could persuade Xi to sign a comprehensive trade deal.

At the outset of talks, Trump strengthened Beijing’s hand by marching into a trade war alone, failing to rally a single European country to our side. This made it easy for Xi, who never had any intention of allowing Trump to force a meaningful change in China’s economic policy (especially the parts where Beijing subsidizes and controls industry, foreign products are excluded from China’s domestic market, and American intellectual property is stolen outright).

USA Today Opinion

Not to mention: Trump administration takes major step to help Chinese firm ZTE:

A number of Democrats and Republicans have raised concerns about Trump’s efforts to help ZTE, with lawmakers warning the company could be used to steal U.S. intellectual property and potentially pose an intelligence risk.

But Trump has said it was important to allow the firm to continue purchasing U.S. equipment as a way to help U.S. jobs. And he also said Xi’s personal appeal to him to help the company was persuasive.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

How did the "Chinese money" get into the American academic system. Care to clarify that?

Do you know how academic research grants are administered? Why not share?

Or do you want to quote Zero Hedge and Gateway Pundit and demonstrate that your posts are based on extremist political hackery?

Just one of many articles www.dailymail.co.uk...

A press release from the FBI revealed that Ang is alleged to have made 'materially false representations to NASA and the University of Arkansas' resulting in a number of wires that facilitated Ang's scheme to defraud.

The charge says Ang received more than $5 million in federal funding for research projects but failed to disclose payment from Chinese universities and Chinese companies in violation of UA policy.

ATS has several linked articles about professors receiving in some cases $50,000 a month and a couple of million a year from the CCP.. I doubt you would know that unless CNN reported it .
www.npr.org...

"This is a big, big case," says Frank Wu, a professor at the University of California Hastings College of the Law who tracks Chinese espionage cases. "This is a case that's all about U.S.-China relations. It's about competition. It's about how science should be done."

The Lieber case centers on a Chinese recruitment program called the Thousand Talents Plan. It was started by the Chinese government in 2008, primarily as a way to draw Chinese researchers back to China, according to Michael Lauer, the deputy director of extramural research at the National Institutes of Health.

"The Chinese government wanted to bring back outstanding scientists to China, so as to develop their science and technology," Lauer says.

Over time, the program began to recruit Western scientists as well. Researchers were asked to set up labs in China and spend at least part of their time doing work there, in exchange for grants and expenses paid. Some relocated to China, but others split their time between their home institutions and a Chinese university.

If I remember correctly there have been 9 other professors arrested by the FBI..I could look them up but i doubt it would change your world view one way or the other so why bother..

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Right. So the one professor broke the law and took money from the Chinese illegally.

The professor at Harvard also took money illegally.

Two cases are all you've got?

Yeah, there are criminals in academia as well. And our system caught them. Working as intended. I can tell you first hand that research grants are some of the most heavily administrated and monitored aspects of modern research institutions.

You're trying to claim massive Chinese interference in American academia based on two cases or eleven?

Nope. Of course the Chinese are trying to steal American technology. Trump just greenlighted one of the biggest offenders to continue to do so.

edit on 10-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

edit on 10-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   
You can continue that if you wish. I don't want to derail your thread.

You're concerned about Chinese interests being allowed to purchase and/or publish ad space and materials in American media to promote Fake News.

So am I. What do we do about it?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

You're concerned about Chinese interests being allowed to purchase and/or publish ad space and materials in American media to promote Fake News.

Oh ... I dunno ... re-elect President Trump?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Oh ... I dunno ... re-elect President Trump?

The guy who just let one of the greatest Chinese corporate spies past the trade barracades personally?

That President Trump? Okay Boomer.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
It's easy for leftist to sell out America because they constantly bet agaisnt it.

So NewsCorp is leftist?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Right. So the one professor broke the law and took money from the Chinese illegally.

The professor at Harvard also took money illegally.

Two cases are all you've got?

Yeah, there are criminals in academia as well. And our system caught them. Working as intended. I can tell you first hand that research grants are some of the most heavily administrated and monitored aspects of modern research institutions.

You're trying to claim massive Chinese interference in American academia based on two cases or eleven?

Nope. Of course the Chinese are trying to steal American technology. Trump just greenlighted one of the biggest offenders to continue to do so.

Great response my friend

Another day, another BS China thread made by clueless people who believe everything they read and hear online, as ling as it's anti China.

Even if that means using the daily mail as evidence

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

hah, epoch times, there are free copies of that trash showing up on peoples driveways in my town (in canada), no one seems too happy about it.
edit on 10-6-2020 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They all do this. Dailymail are constantly doing it. At least when the comments aren't modded people call them out. However, they are heavily modding right now.

Its what Celebs do to. Paid PR, puff pieces, usually straight up lies.

I'm sure this is a tactic of every Government. (As in it wouldnt surprise me) t's one of the reasons news is no longer news. It's literally paid PR
edit on 10-6-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312
They all do this. Dailymail are constantly doing it. At least when the comments aren't modded people call them out. However, they are heavily modding right now.

Its what Celebs do to. Paid PR, puff pieces, usually straight up lies.

I'm sure this is a tactic of every Government. It's one of the reasons news is no longer news. It's literally paid PR

Its a terrible paper in the UK, and has a terrible reputation. A couple of years ago, they tried to shut down the charity sector with lies and BS!

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Good information. I appreciate the OP. Don't fret over those who don't want to hear new information. They just want to hear the fiction already in their head come out of your mouth. When that doesn't happen, the verbal circus comes to town.

In case the source of the information is the straw they cling to, here are some other places with different bents spelling out the bigger picture:
www.politico.com...
www.opensecrets.org...
www.scmp.com...

I am under no delusions this will make one bit of difference.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312
It's literally paid PR

That's an apt description of ALL CORPORATE MEDIA.

2nd

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
Good information. I appreciate the OP. Don't fret over those who don't want to hear new information. They just want to hear the fiction already in their head come out of your mouth. When that doesn't happen, the verbal circus comes to town.

In case the source of the information is the straw they cling to, here are some other places with different bents spelling out the bigger picture:
www.politico.com...
www.opensecrets.org...
www.scmp.com...

I am under no delusions this will make one bit of difference.

You are critiquing people who in your mind "don't want to hear different information" because you don't want to hear different information?

Why post blind links? What claim are those links backing up? What are you trying to say with your new message that none of us want to hear? Please, spill.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Nope. Not gonna dance. Your posts thrive on logical fallacy and deflection. No help to the content what-so-ever. The thread is poorer.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join