It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Will End Systemic Racism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It’s a bold statement.

Millennials will end racism.

But it makes logical sense to me. Why? Because millennials and late GenXers simply aren’t as racist as previous generations - regardless of political stripes. They grew up having never lived through the Civil Rights movement. They can’t fathom why someone couldn’t drink from the same fountain. They have been educated from k-12 about diversity, inclusivity and in particular that racism is bad.

Beyond that, millennials also aren’t warring by nature in the classical sense. Millennials have never been through a draft, dealt with a war like WW2, the Cold War, etc. Since they’ve been around, the world has been a pretty OK place. They might be keyboard warriors, but they largely settle their differences without violence - also a change from past generations. They are less hateful in general.

Some people might say that the lack of these experiences makes them “weak” or “soft” or and in the classical sense a lot of that is probably true. But, on the other hand, they’re pretty high minded and bread to think about others/collaborate/work together/etc.

Once the people who were born 1940 - 1960 are out of political office or positions of authority this will all get a heck of a lot better on the race front. Things will be far more peaceful, aligned and united. And we’ll be stronger because of it.

It’s the first generation that isn’t carrying around the baggage of trudging through 40 years of tumultuous times from 1940-1980. Whole different take on the world - and one that’s void of a lot of problematic experiences and thought processes. And they won’t perpetuate what’s been happening in America for the last half-century via power structures and authority figures/agencies.

As a millennial myself, I worry less about my children’s future. We have a solid chance to leave them a better system than what we’re walking into.
edit on 9-6-2020 by EnigmaChaser because: (no reason given)

+33 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Millennials are the ones who wholeheartedly embrace intersectionalism and PC wokeness though. It's a little hard to end racism when your every thought is about how this or that group is marginalized and oppressed.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser
They have been taught self hate if your white,

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

No offense but the meme generation is up against 400 years of systemic oppression racial or otherwise.

More power to them, but the revolution won’t be televised, it’ll be hijacked and continue on as has been planned.

Something tells me this generation is much more capable of silencing free speech than the racial divide. But, I wish us the best going forward into whatever awaits us all.

edit on 9-6-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Does that include the white guilt and white privelige bs, or does that racism not count?

Unfortunately substituting one form of racism for another is not a win.
edit on 24630America/ChicagoTue, 09 Jun 2020 23:24:42 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Millennials are Too focused on identity politics to make anything better. They have already made things worse.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   

They're more likely to end personal responsibility first. Everything is someone else's fault.

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Millennials are currently the driving force and owners and membership of ANTIFA and BLM.

Thank you for the ~blowing wine out of my nose hysterical giggle!~ at your post.

You shouldn't at this point worry about your children's future at all.

If Millennials have their say in matters and things go their way, there will not be a future for any of us.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Millennials will end whatever remains of common sense as well but don't let that poop on your party. And no. I'm not saying racism is a good thing. I'm just saying Millennials are definitely just as flawed and products of their time as any generation that came before. Racism (as it is now) is kind of a joke compared to what it once was. The knowledge that people who were born in the 90s think racism is bad now really just goes to show why their opinions should not be as relevant as they think they should be.

Racism has been on the deline for decades and would have been much less prevalent now than it is if people had not been refusing to let things that happened before they were even born go. The racial situation we are living in today was (almost) entirely created by (mostly) Marxist agitators.
edit on 9-6-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Through the power of the internet, millenials are the first generation who weren't limited to interactions with people exclusive to the place they grew up in. Thanks to the internet, friendships are no longer limited to the people in your own neighborhood whose experiences probably aren't that different from their own. Early, unbiased exposure to all ethnicities, cultures, and backgrounds is essential to overcoming systemic racism.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Millennials are the ones who wholeheartedly embrace intersectionalism and PC wokeness though. It's a little hard to end racism when your every thought is about how this or that group is marginalized and oppressed.

Wouldn’t thinking about people being marginalized aid in ending or resulting racism? Like any other problem, awareness is an important first step...

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
Through the power of the internet, millenials are the first generation who weren't limited to interactions with people exclusive to the place they grew up in. Thanks to the internet, friendships are no longer limited to the people in your own neighborhood whose experiences probably aren't that different from their own. Early, unbiased exposure to all ethnicities, cultures, and backgrounds is essential to overcoming systemic racism.

Bingo.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

This is not thanks to the internet. This is thanks to the internal combustion engine and electricity. Wider perspective has been freely available to most everyone for almost a century. And (again) racism has been steeply declining all that time with the exception of the echo chambers created by left-wing (and right wing) radicals.

In the real world, white and black people have been living and working together just fine on a daily basis in many places that were not either still ruled by people with confederate flags on their lawn or people who did everything they could to keep the racial crimes of the distant past echoing and filling up every inch of intellectual space they could occupy.

It turns out that anger and fear are brilliant political tools and they are staples of both right and left wing propaganda.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Maybe not specifically millennials, but just human evolution. Great positive thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The kicker is that the "systemic racism" is occurring in predominantly Democrat run cities under the guise of policies purporting to help the very people they're harming.

When enough people understand this, it will change.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser

Bingo.

The problem is they have been taught biased outlooks from the outset or else it would be all lives matter but we can' go there or that would include the unborn too.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Millennials will end whatever remains of common sense as well but don't let that poop on your party. And no. I'm not saying racism is a good thing. I'm just saying Millennials are definitely just as flawed and products of their time as any generation that came before. Racism (as it is now) is kind of a joke compared to what it once was. The knowledge that people who were born in the 90s think racism is bad now really just goes to show why their opinions should not be as relevant as they think they should be.

Racism has been on the deline for decades and would have been much less prevalent now than it is if people had not been refusing to let things that happened before they were even born go. The racial situation we are living in today was (almost) entirely created by (mostly) Marxist agitators.

So Millennials shouldn’t think racism is bad today because it used to be way worse?

Slippery slope there.

Most things are viewed on a relative basis most of the time. Those who went through civil rights era say “its way better” - which is entirely accurate. But, a fresh set of eyes (e.g. the next generation) looks at current state and says “wtf? You thought this was good?” and begins anew.

Said another way, the “you don’t know what problems really look like” doesn’t excuse current state nor does it mean we couldn’t still have real material problems...

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Bah, racism was on it's way out when I was a kid. I'm 40 now btw. All that was needed to end racism was time. Things were mellowing out and everyday more and more people were less racist and more and more people were intolerant of such behavior. Had things contonued as they were racism would be a thing of the past by now. Unfortunately people got impatient and allowed predators to manipulate that impatience to not only halt but reverse most of that progress. Things are worse now than when I was young. I was looking forward to the future when that # was behind us. It was all dying, on it's last breath, in it's death throws. I'm saddened.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

They're more likely to end personal responsibility first. Everything is someone else's fault.

It’s because their parents raised them to think they are awesome even when they aren’t.

Good news though - reality is in the process of slapping the now 24-30 millennial crowd in the face. I can say from some recent college grads I’ve worked with they are figuring out how hard a lot of things are. They also want a gold star for making a cup of coffee - or viewed another way they really want to please people. This a)works great in a service based economy and b) makes them highly coachable and moldable if you give them the right motivation.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Oh, and adding to my previous two posts in this thread, I am definitely not forgetting that white supremacists and whatever else people who essentially hold racism as a religion might be calling themselves exist and have contributed greatly. It is just that the actual numbers of the really extreme ones and their significance and their influence were GREATLY amplified by billion watt left-wing megaphone AT EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY (and often they created opportunities for it out of thin air simply because they had some free time to cause trouble).

White supremacists are not blameless but realistically, people of that mindset are always going to exist no matter what you do. And there are people with the same mindset on the opposite side of that. There are people who believe other "races" or ethnicities or what have you are superior. This just happens because it has always happened and is human nature. Generally it happens more when people are competing for power or resources and they need a reason to think someone else deserves it less than they do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join