It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reliable Sources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
hey.. i didn't know where to put this so move it whereever but i was jus wondering what are some good reliable news sources that give unbiased reports?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
My favourite news source is Sky News, which in my opinion is un-biased and up todate

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
i would say to check the big news agencies such as reuters. usually they give you quite good news. i am always worried about looking at a channel news as i think they always have a point of view (look at foxnews fro example!)

KJ1

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Try this one.
my.myway.com...

This site pulls from many different sites at once. You can configure it to show you the types of news you would like to see, how many headlines of each and lot's of good stuff.

It sources Reuters, AP, Fox, USA Today and others.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
What I tend to do is look, not so much for unbiased news sources, as you're pretty unlikely to actually find one of those, but rather to look for sources who's bias is known. By understanding what biases a news source has, you'll be better able to figure out what is fact, what is hyperbole, and what is fiction. By checking multiple sources, of many different biases, you'll be able to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

For example, I often check cnn.com and lemonde.fr. While CNN's website has many valid criticisms leveled against it, I go there because it's easy to get to (7 characters typed, as opposed to 14 for Google News), and the layout's very easy to scan. Le Monde is a French daily newspaper whos site I check partly because I read better in French than I do in Portuguese (the two non-English languages in which I'm literate), and because it's a fairly mainstream publication in France. Each site has its own bias, at the very least they're biased towards the country-of-origin, but by being aware of the bias I can see where the sites agree, and often more interestingly, where they disagree.

I don't limit myself to those two, though. ATS, Ars Technica, Slashdot, Barbelith Underground, NYT Online, and many others are checked. Some, such as Ars Technica or Slashdot, are pretty limited to technology or technology-related items. Others, like ATS, have a pretty low signal-to-noise ratio, but they make up for it by getting early announcement of some significant events. Still others, the more mainstream, I find useful because that's what "everyone" knows, and the common wisdom, however foolish, is something that's helpful to be aware of.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
very intersting point of view. i myself read the NYT Online and Le Monde (i'm french!) and it gives a good point on the view from Europe and the US. Now i have to find my news paper in asia. But thanks for the other news sources. I will take a look

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dlow
...good reliable news sources that give unbiased reports?

Hi dlow!

Not wishing to appear rude, but this is a bit of an oxymoron really. How can anything reported be "unbiased"? As someone wrote the story, and another editted it, there must always be some degree of "spin" or interpretation involved in the story I think. That is not just meant to imply "true" political bias, but really anything written - even down to the choice of language used, often dictated by the intended readeership for the article.

I think the only thing to do is check as wide a collection of news sources for stories that you find particuarly find interesting - especially "foreign" news sources that report in english (or any other language you can read of course). Often you will find differences of opinion - one mans terrorist is another mans freedon fighter of course - and, if you are after "unbiased" reporting, then you should be open to other POV's.

At the end of the day, however, only you can find the truth for yourself, as you (like all of us) will filter out the things you find distasteful and push the positives as you see them. You, like the rest of us, will have your own bias - you will do your own sub-edit...

Good luck with your endeavours!

top topics

join