It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about college and all that

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Thanks, this response is helpful.

Basically, ever since I got out of the Navy I've had no hardship using my experience before the military, during the military, and afterwards to get just about any job I've wanted. I've got an extensive amount of knowledge and experience, and have, up until recently been able to rely on that to get a position.

I still could get a position at any number of jobs, but to do so I'd have to go back to being on the road, and living out of motels for the majority of the year. Which is what I'm trying to avoid.

My recent experiences with obtaining a position that doesn't require a ridiculous amount of travel has been abysmal.

These interviews I answer all of the questions, both technical and HR, appropriately. I demonstrate my knowledge. I get everyone cracking smiles. Lot's of handshakes, and then they say they'll call me back. I get the call, and they say they want to offer me a different position than the one I interviewed for, or they even say they found someone with better experience.

I have friends who already work at these companies, and when I ask them what did they have that I didn't I've had a few different answers.

At a couple of places they felt I was overqualified, or they felt that I wouldn't be happy with what they had set for the pay. At some places I was told that even though I had more experience, they wanted someone with a degree.

And some places my friends told me that HR just had their heads up their asses.

So, I figured why not just go to school. It's within my means. I can afford to go full time. I won't be hurting financially. A few of the options I have as far as tuition assistance actually allow me a housing allowance and pay for my books and such. The VA vocational rehab will actually pay for any equipment I need.

So screw it. I'mma do it.

I initially was planning on doing mechanical or electrical engineering, but started looking into computer engineering. Then, an acquaintance of my father who is a upper management kind of guy for a well known firearms manufacturing facility told me that if I want to get into firearm design I should go get a mechanical engineering degree with some industrial design.

As far as actually earning it trust me. I'm not going to slack off. I actually want to go somewhere challenging. I want to feel like I earned it.

It's the general education part of it that I feel is a waste of time and resources.

The only reason why I never went to college in the first place was because I thought it was absurd to pay an inordinate amount of money on things I can learn on my own, but now that I pretty much won't be spending much, if any, of my own money on it I don't mind.

I would like to go to a college or university where I can participate in projects that I wouldn't normally be able to, and possibly learn a thing or two that I couldn't learn on my own.
edit on 1062020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Besides all that is said previously. Make a selection of a few and try to visit them on open days. Each place has its own community and its own atmosphere (next to its own programs and stuff). You'll get the most out of it if you would fit into that. If costs and location are no issue make sure the place fits you and challenges your potential by that.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join