It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis City Council president aspires to have a 'police free SOCIETY'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Wonder what would happen if the residents of the city were to vote on it.

Would they vote to disband the police?

I got a better question. If you live in a town with 500 people and 300 of them vote against paved roads and hospitals, is it OK for them to ignore the 200 who voted for them? Or would you just assume there are 300 morons in your city?

I don't know of any towns with 500 people that have their own hospital. And they probably have dirt roads anyway. If my town gets rid of the police I'll be moving ASAP.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ras321
a reply to: MRinder
Great question. Basically I would recommend taking money and resources away from prison systems and policing and more into social programs that give people a decency of living. We are the most advanced civilaztion in the world. We can make sure no one goes hungry and everyone has housing and that would go a long way towards disincentivizing people from getting into criminal activity. The heavy handed approach makes too many cops into the same types of criminals they are supposed to be policing. Society need to police the police.

So in this magic "fruitopia" that you have planned have you thought about all of the people that just choose to do bad things? Not everybody can just be guided to good behavior, you can try but some people are just bad people. In high crime areas where are you going to put all of the violent criminals? The gang members? The child predators? Do you have a plan so children grow up in a stable environment with stable functioning parents? Many people in this world are far more dangerous than I think you realize, that will choose not be rehabilitated. If you think crime goes down when there is no police presence then you may have your wires crossed. Your heart's in the right place but your logic is deeply flawed.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
A lot of those people who choose to do bad things are a product of their environment. Few, if any, people are born bad. Most, if they have a decent life will choose a better path. I think we have to move in the direction of a more peaceful society and we have the resources. It is a matter of putting our minds and energies into it. a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ras321
a reply to: MRinder
Great question. Basically I would recommend taking money and resources away from prison systems and policing and more into social programs that give people a decency of living. We are the most advanced civilaztion in the world. We can make sure no one goes hungry and everyone has housing and that would go a long way towards disincentivizing people from getting into criminal activity. The heavy handed approach makes too many cops into the same types of criminals they are supposed to be policing. Society need to police the police.

We already have welfare to provide food and housing and it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. The only people hungry in this country are people too lazy to cook.

What's your next solution, since free food and housing for the poor hasn't solved the crime problem?

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The people of Minneapolis need to arrest their City Council and put them in a mental hospital!
edit on 9-6-2020 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join