It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defund the Police. PLEASE!!!! DO IT!!!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
tek good point the 1 % have garnered so much of the wolrds wealth we need to beg table scraps

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

NO!!! Don't defund the police!!!

Those of us stuck in the cities for one reason or another do not want this! If we have to pack up and leave before our planned exit dates (those of us who have one anyway) we stand to lose everything! Others do not have the means to just pack up and leave (indigent, elderly, disabled). Not everyone who lives in the city agree with all this progressive nonsense.

Right now politicians are bowing to the "squeaking wheels" to save their cities from total destruction, but their decisions are being made out of fear and panic without looking to the future repercussions.

We don't need less law enforcement, we need more!

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: Boadicea

so they defunded the police? Or is this not at all like what is being demanded currently?

I know you don't mean this as a trick question, but it's been propagandized and weaponized to the point that it's a tricky answer.

There are many ways to reform and/or replace a municipality's police department. In the case of Camden, the city voted to completely defund the police department, and establish a new department in conjunction with the county. It's been done many times by many different towns and cities, usually because the police department refuses to accept and implement reforms.

HOWEVER, there are those demanding complete disbandment of police departments by one side. I do not believe it will happen. I don't think they even believe it will happen. But it riles up people on all sides for obvious reasons. Especially when those on the other side portraying any and all efforts to reform police departments as the elimination of law enforcement. Both are propaganda.

In the case of Minneapolis, from what I'm reading, they can disband this police department but must replace it with a new police department, as mandated by the city charter. The city council does not have the authority to simply eliminate the police department without a vote to do so from the citizenry.

I am actually far more disturbed by the increasing calls to effectively under-fund police departments. I know it sounds good to take $$ from those awful police and give it to the poor drug addicts... but my fear is that the police are being set up for failure. Literally sabotaged. It doesn't strike me as a good will effort to relieve the police of extra demands and duties, but rather to tie their hands and make their jobs even more difficult.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This will start a civil war...
And the military would join in soon after.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I am actually far more disturbed by the increasing calls to effectively under-fund police departments. I know it sounds good to take $$ from those awful police and give it to the poor drug addicts... but my fear is that the police are being set up for failure. Literally sabotaged. It doesn't strike me as a good will effort to relieve the police of extra demands and duties, but rather to tie their hands and make their jobs even more difficult.

I'm hearing the calls to defund the police, and little to no explanation of what that means. But as many top LEO's have said, they need more training, not less money. Cut the funding and the training issue will compound itself.

I'm really firmly against making knee jerk reactions. They rarely work out well. Putting thought into something, gathering all the data you can on it, and asking those with proven track records of success just seems like a better approach.

Seeing how this is playing out, it's like watching two idiots fighting over which one is a bigger idiot. SMFH

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Those of us stuck in the cities for one reason or another do not want this! If we have to pack up and leave before our planned exit dates (those of us who have one anyway) we stand to lose everything! Others do not have the means to just pack up and leave (indigent, elderly, disabled). Not everyone who lives in the city agree with all this progressive nonsense.

Right now politicians are bowing to the "squeaking wheels" to save their cities from total destruction, but their decisions are being made out of fear and panic without looking to the future repercussions.

How fast did women's issues go out the window? And children?

Black women know that defunding the police will effectively terrorize women and mothers of all races and leave them feeling defenseless and vulnerable.

If the intent is to terrorize people...or if that's not a factor even being considered, I hope no one puts up with it for 200 years before they defeat this oppression.

Massive oppression is on the horizon, the plight of black Americans tells us that we don't want to wait until the damage is irreparable.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Sarcasm button on...I am sure when the police are gone,
the drug cartels and gangs will provide "protection". You
can be sure someone will come over every month to collect.
Sarcasm button off...

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra
a reply to: Boadicea

I'm not positive, but I believe there are a few states that don't have Sheriff's.

You're right... thanks to you, I just learned something new:

Three states that do not have Sheriff's Offices:
*Alaska. No county governments.
*Connecticut. Sheriffs have been replaced with a State Marshal System.
*Hawaii. There are no Sheriffs in Hawaii but Deputy Sheriffs serve in the Sheriff's Division of the Hawaii Department of Public Safety.

National Sheriff's Association

So you honestly think that replacing local cops, many with community ties, with county or state level police who probably don't have those same ties will have better results?

I think that the needs, circumstances and resources of cities and towns are so diverse and varied that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and that each needs to determine that for themselves. For example, many counties are so rural and have so little crime that it isn't cost effective or efficient for each town to have its own police force, so the Sheriff's department is a more practical solution for them. (And remember that Sheriff deputies usually live locally also.)

What then happens when a similar tragic issue occurs with a county or state level officer? Do we keep eliminating tiers under we federalize all police? The underlying issue is still there and nothing has happened except shifting the expenses (and blame).

That depends on how it's structured. In terms of the Sheriff, this is an elected office. If the citizens don't like how the Sheriff is doing his job, or how his/her deputies are doing their jobs, then the people have the right and the opportunity to elect a new Sheriff that will do the job as they see fit. In some cities, a police chief is appointed by the mayor, and can be fired and replaced by the mayor. In that case, at least in theory, if the people aren't happy they can elect a new mayor that will appoint a new police chief. In other cities, it requires the vote of the entire council to hire/fire the police chief, which makes it more difficult for the people to effect change.

I would hope/expect, that such factors are taken into consideration by any city or town wanting to effect change.

There is far far more to be considered, but too much for here.

Why not change or use the laws that are in place. Expand Civilian Review Boards, have more frequent mental and physical assessments of cops, etc. before taking much more draconian measures. I live in a state with strong 2nd amendment freedoms, but what about those who don't? Who's going to protect those citizens from a rapist or robber or murderer because the 5 minute response time is now 15 minutes?

Again, I would hope/expect that such factors would be taken into consideration. One of the big problems here though is that municipalities have tried to implement various changes, and police departments have refused to accept and/or cooperate with those reforms. Police departments -- and their unions -- have gone rogue.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Black women know that defunding the police will effectively terrorize women and mothers of all races and leave them feeling defenseless and vulnerable.

If the intent is to terrorize people...or if that's not a factor even being considered, I hope no one puts up with it for 200 years before they defeat this oppression.

Massive oppression is on the horizon, the plight of black Americans tells us that we don't want to wait until the damage is irreparable.

Just imagine it! Even a partial defunding of the police department here would mean complete chaos! They already can't keep enough officers on the force here due to low pay and the very real dangers of the job. With even less money there would be less training, less equipment and less pay- not enticing to prospective recruits at all!

And those who advocate for the sheriff's department to take over because "oh look, it worked in New Jersey" obviously don't know what a complete joke the sheriff's department is here. They are good for serving divorce papers and eviction notices, that is all!

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Just imagine it! Even a partial defunding of the police department here would mean complete chaos! They already can't keep enough officers on the force here due to low pay and the very real dangers of the job. With even less money there would be less training, less equipment and less pay- not enticing to prospective recruits at all!

And those who advocate for the sheriff's department to take over because "oh look, it worked in New Jersey" obviously don't know what a complete joke the sheriff's department is here. They are good for serving divorce papers and eviction notices, that is all!

They assess my property taxes...which will probably plummet, now, so I guess there's that.

It's the fear I am most concerned about. It will be constant and debilitating.

Unless there is some clear plan to assuage those fears and I am not hearing any.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Disbanding the police will have to be replaced by private militia.
The government should provide every man woman and child with a fire arm.
It probably would be a lot cheaper.
or you can just run the rif raf out of town with pitch forks.
Sounds wonderful.

I don't think a riot is good premise to do away with those charged with protecting the innocent.
Maybe it's time for Batman, or robocop
edit on 0000006024762America/Chicago08 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I think you misunderstand the pursuit. "Defund the police" is hyperbolic. It's an unfortunate motto, that doesn't properly reflect the plan and method being proposed.

The larger push to defund the police is about more than taking money away. It's a push to reallocate those funds into social programs.

Unfortunately, "Reconsider and reallocate some police funds to social programs" doesn't roll off the tongue like "Defund the Police!" does.

Again, I rather not see police responding to welfare checks and children misbehaving in schools.

where was this explained, and do all those who parrot the "defund the police" describe this the same way?

I have yet to see anyone explain what they DEMAND, but I have heard BLM stating that they will be announcing their DEMANDS.

The larger push to defund the police is about more than taking money away. It's a push to reallocate those funds into social programs.
"It’s not just about taking away money from the police, it’s about reinvesting those dollars into black communities. Communities that have been deeply divested from, communities that, some have never felt the impact of having true resources. And so we have to reconsider what we’re resourcing. I've been saying we have an economy of punishment over an economy of care," Patrisse Cullors, a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement, told WBUR.

www.usatoday.com...

Sen. Cory Booker said he understands the sentiment behind the slogan, but it’s not a slogan he will use.
The New Jersey Democrat told NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he shares a feeling with many protesters that Americans are “over-policed” and that “we are investing in police, which is not solving problems, but making them worse when we should be, in a more compassionate country, in a more loving country.”

Rep. Karen Bass, D-Calif., chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said part of the movement is really about how money is spent.
“Now, I don’t believe that you should disband police departments,” she said in an interview with CNN. “But I do think that, in cities, in states, we need to look at how we are spending the resources and invest more in our communities.
“Maybe this is an opportunity to re-envision public safety,” she said.

apnews.com...

Defunding the police does not mean stripping a department entirely of its budget, or abolishing it altogether. It’s just about scaling police budgets back and reallocating those resources to other agencies, says Lynda Garcia, policing campaign director at the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. “A lot of what we advocate for is investment in community services — education, medical access… You can call it ‘defunding,’ but it’s just about directing or balancing the budget in a different way.”
The concept is simple: When cities start investing in community services, they reduce the need to call police in instances when police officers’ specific skill set isn’t required. “If someone is dealing with a mental health crisis, or someone has a substance abuse disorder, we are calling other entities that are better equipped to help these folks,” Garcia says.

Police themselves will admit this — that they are being called to respond to situations beyond the scope of their job. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said in 2016, after five of his officers were targeted by a mass shooter. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it… Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops… That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”

www.rollingstone.com...

edit on 8-6-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

They assess my property taxes...which will probably plummet, now, so I guess there's that.

It's the fear I am most concerned about. It will be constant and debilitating.

Unless there is some clear plan to assuage those fears and I am not hearing any.

Heck, they're adding onto the fear. Like there isn't enough to worry about right now without wondering if we're going to lose the police on top of everything else! It's bad enough that they walked out on the mayor last week. Imagine if a stranger broke into your house while you were at home alone so you call 911 but have to wait for a sheriff's deputy to get there- oh it will only take 20 minutes to an hour, and even then they usually don't have experience in anything but paperwork and wrecks on county highways... definitely not with city violence in any form.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The only things that solve these issues are sound family values and moral principles.
Sounds uptight, but broken homes, and hearts and dreams can not be so easily fixed with money.
The human race has made great strides in figuring out what is right and wrong.
Hopefully over time it will filter into peoples hearts.

Hurt people hurt people

And then there are pathological criminals.
edit on 0000006025862America/Chicago08 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The police unions support Republicans.

Most have endorsed Trump.

I look forward to hearing soon how labor unions, at least these, are the backbone of America.
edit on 8-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: neo96

I look forward to hearing soon how labor unions, at least these, are the backbone of America.

My distinct impression from The Irishman was that the mob, the labor unions and the cuban revolution are closely intertwined.

edit on 0000006031063America/Chicago08 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

Ahhh,I had forgotten about robotics,here's,Robocop!

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: neo96

My distinct impression from The Irishman was that the mob, the labor unions and the cuban revolution are closely intertwined.

Well, Marx said "workers of the world" unite ...

Police Unions for the most part support Trump/Republicans. So they can't be all bad, right?

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: rom12345
Ahhh,I had forgotten about robotics,here's,Robocop!

I'd buy that for a dollar!

edit on 0000006031563America/Chicago08 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

“Do you understand that the word dismantle our police free also makes some people nervous? For instance, what if in the middle of the night my home is broken into? Who do I call?” CNN’s Alisyn Camerota asked Bender on CNN Monday.

“Yes, I mean I hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors – and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege, for those of us for whom the system is working,” Bender said. “I think we need to step back and imagine what it would feel like to already live in that reality.”

thefederalist.com...

It's white privilege if you need the cops when you're being robbed, raped, attacked.

Bold is mine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join