It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elmer Fudd Disarmed By WB

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen88

Song Of The South which featured Br'er Rabbit was produced by Disney 1940. Buggs bunny was done over a period of time, first buggs bunny like version came out in a 1938 porky pig cartoon.

edit on 8-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: FauxMulder

This episode right here is a big middle finger to anyone and everyone that will not be happy with this change. They intentionally show you from the get-go that Elmer no longer has his gun, and very shortly afterwards they bombard him with non-stop sticks of dynamite.

They are intentionally letting you know that it's not the violence they are concerned about, but it's specifically his gun. In many ways, I wonder if he's supposed to represent the average gun owning American, completely disarmed and getting destroyed left and right.

I may be over-thinking, but I really do believe the video is not just meant to be humorous, but meant to aggravate. I hate to say it, but it worked on me. This is my childhood, something amazing I grew up with, and something amazing others can still grow with. Sure, it may have been racist at times, but, it's a product of it's time. If this right here is a product of our time, then our time can go to hell.

Oh, wait, it already is.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
Elmer Fudd is known far more for his voice and mannerisms than the fact that he carried a stupid gun. Lame duck argument.

That is not true and any fan of the source material knows that. It didn't matter if Elmer was a hunting or not, there were plenty of times he still went for a gun to take down that wascally wabbit.

Plus, with the removal of one of his iconic tools, how will they ever do another "Rabbit/Duck Season" sort of gag?? That's one of their classics, and always a good laugh.

Hell, I can see it now:

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

*slices head off*

Yeah, real great stuff there.

edit on 8-6-2020 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Would you be happy if he had a bow and arrow? Fudd is probably too clumsy for that, which would make for good cartoon no?

Or does it specifically need to go boom for any of you looney tunes to enjoy it? In which case cheer up, they are keeping the TNT and ACME stuff.

Exploding cigars though? That's worth fighting for.

Yeah, being hunting weapons and fairly commonly used still, a bow & arrow WOULD make sense and probably not rock the boat nearly as much. Scythes by design are not for hunting, they're agricultural tools for clearing fields and cutting crops (such as wheat, one of many grain examples)

Unless the blade is affixed to a much shorter length of wood/metal. Then by design, it becomes a close(r) combat weapon -- a sword.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well, you could give Elmer a pair of ssahng nat (short hand sickles), but then he'd be more like a ninja, and no one would buy him as Bruce Lee.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Well, you could give Elmer a pair of ssahng nat (short hand sickles), but then he'd be more like a ninja, and no one would buy him as Bruce Lee.

Why stop there? Give him a pair of scimitars and let it roll, eh?

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The USA is officially *f'd*.
This is so insane I can't even say more.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

The USA is officially *f'd*.
This is so insane I can't even say more.

I know, and agree. This year has been horsecrap all around so far. Even if all the world's super-volcanoes popped off, we had a bevy of comets and giant asteroids coming like a conveyor belt, AND aliens came with weapons locked & loaded all at once, it still wouldn't be enough to assure me humanity had enough sense slapped into it.

edit on 6/8/2020 by Nyiah because: You dang Brits and your slang, we use one less V in this context!

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Been watching Looney Tunes for 35 years... when I think Fudd, I think of his voice... not his shotgun.

Get over yourselves.

You sound like the butt-hurt millennials when they changed their precious Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Been watching Looney Tunes for 35 years... when I think Fudd, I think of his voice... not his shotgun.

Get over yourselves.

You sound like the butt-hurt millennials when they changed their precious Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Bit salty, aren't ya? Usually the person whining about people being butthurt is more butthurt themselves than the people they're ribbing.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
one simple question - for the people " outraged " by this :

did elmer fudds firearm ever serve as an effective solution to anything he attemted ?

in fact - did ANYTHING used by the protagonists in WB cartoons - actually achieve thier goal ?

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   
In the grand scheme of things...this ain't much of a much.

Not sure why WB thought that this is a good idea to begin with, though...

What is this going to change??

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I think of his voice and his shotgun.My grandchildren
are millennials I am a boomer.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I think of his voice and his shotgun.My grandchildren
are millennials I am a boomer.

Because Elmer is a goofy, wabbit hunter cartoon character.
He is NOT the bloody Grim Reaper.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Fog Horn Leg Horn.

Free ranging before Free rangin became cool.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   

That's good you have conversations with your kids about taking Elmer Fudd's gun from him.

Do you discuss the outrageously racist history of the company producing the videos with them?

The Censored Eleven is a group of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons originally produced and released by Warner Bros. that were withheld from syndication in the United States by United Artists (UA) in 1968. UA owned the distribution rights to the Associated Artists Productions library at that time and decided to pull these eleven cartoons from broadcast because the use of ethnic stereotypes in the cartoons, specifically African stereotypes, was deemed too offensive for contemporary audiences.

The Censored Eleven

Those are the ones they just never released. A LOT of them they did release would never happen today, thank God.

I don't believe they are going back and removing Elmers gun from old episodes, just a new show they are making - might be wrong about that but that's how it appears.

They shouldn't alter what has been made. That is stupid. It is what it is.

And while calling this company stupid for that decision, include in all the other horrible things they have propagated on children minds.

That is a legit discussion also.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So do people even know why Elmer Fudd needed a shotgun in the first place? Because he was a hunter, yes. But why he was a hunter?

Long time ago during the Great Depression the President FDR decided that people had to get by on their own. Vegetable gardens were very important as was hunting up meat for the table especially if you didn’t have a job. Furthermore the ration books limited purchases once the war effort was into full swing with yep, you guessed it meat as a luxury item and you were limited on your purchases. Hunting was a way to supplement that meat ration or if you were a successful hunter, open that meat ration up to trade amongst other people.

Elmer was not a good hunter. Was probably not much of an outdoorsman at all to be honest. But he tried for our comical pleasure, he tried.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

So do people even know why Elmer Fudd needed a shotgun in the first place?

i read some where a long time ago, that after the first cartoon he was so mad with buggs for messing up his photo shoot that he vowed to have his revenge. so all the rest he was hunting him down.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The Simpson's when Marge led a campaign to end cartoon violence and the kids just stopped watching the Itchy and Scratchy Show. The Three Stooges got complaints back in the 60s about their physical violence. People will always find something to complain and be alarmed about so they can get some attention. Best to just ignore the hysteria.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join