It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shotgun questions from a noob

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
so im new to shotguns, but really enjoy them. in my opinion they are a must have weapon.

im looking for maximum versatility for my final kit.

i just picked up an fd12 bullpup semi-auto, heres a review vid of a slightly different model:
www.youtube.com...

now for the questions.

breakin
1. it says it needs 100 rounds of "heavy load" to break in, then it will cycle both light and heavy loads. does this refer to "high velocity" or to the size of the shot? should i focus on the speed rather than the size for the "breakin" phase? or just grab a bunch of 3" 00 buck, an arm sling for after, and call it a day?

chokes
2. i know there are different choke thread patterns. my mossberg choke screwed in no trouble, so when buying chokes should i just make sure it fits mossberg, or is there a specific pattern i should look for? or should i just find a conversion chart like this one (www.choketube.com...) and basically just buy for the mossberg i have?

barrel extensions
3. the barrel is only 18.5", so im thinking that for skeet, birds, and long distance (100 yards) hunting a 6" barrel extension would be nice (once i find the thread pattern). one rifled for sabot, one smooth for for skeet, birds. whatcha think? good idea?

ammo stockpile
4. so im thinking, from what ive read, that #4 shot is the most versatile. one for field, one for game. sabots for long range deer and pig. 25 of each just to have, plus 25 of #4 buck for home defense. 100 target loads for skeet.

so there you have it. any advice, suggestions, definitions will be appreciated.

bonus vid of using the fd12 against a boar. (warning, show the killing of an animal at close range) www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: stormson

1. Projectile weight. I'll add a picture for you in a minute.

2. Chokes are gonna be compatible with your specific model (not necessarily Mossberg brand)

3. This one I'll leave for someone else to answer.

4. Go easy buying ammo at first. Get a box of 25 (make sure there's more of the same stuff). Pattern your gun with each choke you intend to employ.

Careful. There are easy mistakes you can make at the outset. Don't wreck your chokes with steel shot by accident.

edit on 862020 by Snarl because: Picture

ETA:

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Don't skimp on the trenchcoat.

That's the only advice I can offer.

LOL ... just saw the video of what he bought.

stormson: You can probably limit your ammo selection to double-ought buck for that gun ... and slugs.

Look into 'rifled choke' for the slugs.
Loctite LB 8008 C5-A ... you'll understand.
Never over tighten.
Never shoot that thing without a choke in place.
You shouldn't go between slugs and 00 Buck without changing out the rifled choke. YMMV

For practice ... any old 7 1/2 shot will do ... just stay away from gimmicky exotic crap. Overall, I'd say you need a different shotty if you plan to shoot at animals (or skeet/trap ... but, sporting clays might be fun). That gun is gonna piss off anyone who sees you in the woods with it.

edit on 862020 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Nice truck gun. I would use 00 buck Up through #4. With an 18” barrel your range is somewhat limited, even for a 12 gage. I hunt birds with a Remington 870, with a 28” modified choke barrel. Check the laws, hunting migratory birdS and duck you are limited By Federal law to only 3 rounds in the gun.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I would recommend you choose the right tool for the job at hand.
You don’t use a screwdriver for a hammer...or let’s say it’s not ideal.

The fd12 is not for skeet shooting or hunting.
Most of the people I know use some sort of side by side double barrel for skeet.
Any rifled barrel for slugs, I have a mossburg 500.

Something that I’ve learned over the years is that when something is good for everything it’s usually not very good at anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Good point. Here in Indiana I have to use a limiter “dowel rod with o rings...lol” so my shotgun only has two in the chamber.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

depending on which trench coat you get, you might need a flash suppressor...

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Naw....op got it good
Heavy loads is the amount of gunpowder I don't know if you shoot 3-inch Magnums are Express heavier load is more kick on your shoulder so you could have a little bit of weight but it heavier load is more gunpowder for your shoulder
Double-ought buck shot for defense against wild animals but not bears I don't think shotguns are any good against the bear what you want to try to put his eyes out that would be 7 1/2 shot or number for shots get his eyes

Slugs don't need a rifled barrel
Plug in the magazine get rid of that unless you're hunting in season

edit on 8-6-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

1. it says it needs 100 rounds of "heavy load" to break in, then it will cycle both light and heavy loads. does this refer to "high velocity" or to the size of the shot? should i focus on the speed rather than the size for the "breakin" phase? or just grab a bunch of 3" 00 buck, an arm sling for after, and call it a day?

i'm wondering if on this one if it like my old bushmaster ar. it wouldn't eject the brass all the time. called them and they said to run a few hundred rounds through it so the carbon would seal around the gas tube.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Make sure to go to one of those snobby gun clubs to shoot skeet where the members are all decked out in shooting gear and using 10 thousand dollar guns.

Wear a sleeveless Metallica shirt, Jean shorts and combat boots.
Bring your shells loose in a bucket as well.
You'll be a hit lol.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Whoah!

You guys are getting way too technical with this $!%. Since when does a shotgun have a break-in period?

Shells come in different pellet sizes depending on what you want to hunt. Any one of those will work for home protection. You can load it with salt and the person on the receiving end will never bother you again... for that matter.

Everything else is aim (or just point) and shoot. Folx back home would laugh their butts off if they read all this 'jargon'. lol

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Honestly I would go find a range that lets you rent firearms and covers what you want to learn about, talk with the range bosses and shoot as many different ones as you can, and find the one that fits you best for ease of use and comfort to shoot.

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

i also have a pistol. i bought it 15 years ago in italy. i have 50 bullets of ammunition! 15 years ago it was 100 :-): i can shoot candles with the pistol and if i shoot at someone's belly from a distance of 2 meters, there is even a little stain on the skin! the barrel is 67.8". the ammunition is called: futurapeng 200. made of best italian plastic! my pistols name is barbara and sometimes she is allowed to go to bed with me, under my pillow.

why hunts are always so unfair? why don't you go up against a deer without a gun? and to be fair, naked, because a deer doesn't wear trousers either. just sayin'

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Every gun has a break in period.
I’ve seen a pistol that had a grease with mild abrasive in it to hone the works.
Can’t remember how many shells the recommended to run through it before the first cleaning to remove the grit.

top topics

join