It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis City Council set to disband the city's police department

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I wonder if this is really a winning issue for Democrats this election cycle.

Prior to COVID-19; bail reform in New York was the hot topic. As of January New York has eliminated cash bail for most crimes including some violent crimes.

wiki link

And after New Yorkers found out what this new law was about they were not supportive; even to the point that the governor had to back peddle and state that the law was a work in progress.

My own social media blow-up over it with liberals and apolitical types expressing their displeasure over the new law.

To me it was a significant sign that the left moved to far with their worth while desire to reform the bail system; to the point that it would likely hurt them in some way in November.

Than COVID-19 happened and their was something new to worry about and the issue seemed to die out.

But now with New York city and other municipalities talking about going even further and proposing the defending of police departments are Democrats giving an issue to the Republicans to scare people over in the run up to the next election?

If New Yorkers weren't happy about bail reform are they going to be happy hearing they will lose their police departments?

I realize that "defund the police" is a nuanced proposition that doesn't necessarily mean the police will go away; but that is certainly not how the Republicans will frame it and many moderates will not like the sound of it.
edit on 8-6-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Good post.
I think "defund the police" is "replace the police with our vested interests".
How about we try really hard to fix what we have, and not make everything about race and partisan garbage.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Is this true or what?

I don't have time today.
Reply to my post plz.

Seems too good to be true imho.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
They've got Guitar Center there, yeah? All I've got to say is all your bass are belong to me!

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
What have they said will replace the police?
some privert army They control?

if you are not with them!
the new police army will get you.
its just a way of seizing power!
they are trying to make states separate
from america and trumps power.
will they then go to war with the rest of america?

Will Chinese army build bases to um help them hold power?

edit on 9-6-2020 by buddha because: i

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
I've yet so see a compelling argument as to how and why this will work. So if anyone on ATS has any insight on the proposed nuts and bolts of this plan, by all means....share.

I actually heard quite a compelling argument today. First you have to get beyond the Right vs Left screaming match.

"Defund Police" is actually not a proposal to do away with the police and if people ignore the noise and listen it's rather logical.

The idea as I gather it, is more of a reorganization from the ground up.

Police are often used for things they should not be involved in. There are times when a person with a badge and a gun are the wrong answer. One example was responding to a person with a known mental illness. Rather than having a cop show up, scare them, anger them and make matters worse, a mental health professional would instead respond. A person with the knowledge and skill needed to deal with the person and defuse the situation.

I frankly don't know yet how I feel about idea's like that one. I do know if people stop yelling at each other and stop letting the media do the thinking for us, perhaps there is something to this idea. The partisan media is not exactly presenting the idea's logically for discussion.

It may be time to tune out the media and the party propaganda from both sides and have real conversations about new idea's. We will always need the police as they are now to deal with the bad guys, but maybe, just maybe, it's time to rethink how they are used. First though, the divide to control media and politicians, need to step aside and listen to peoples idea's.

So we got a naked man with a knife running around obviously crazy and we are gonna send? Doogie Howser? Bob Newhart? LOL good luck with that.

Even if you get enough trained professionals to apply, you won't BTW, you are still going to need them to have some backup that's likely armed. Thats just one aspect of this,there are plenty more that can't be handled by a hall manager or school patrol.

Most importantly any changes need to be gradual, outright disbanding the police force leaves way too many holes in public safety from day one it would be a disaster.

Which is why I said; "I frankly don't know yet how I feel about idea's like that one. I do know if people stop yelling at each other and stop letting the media do the thinking for us, perhaps there is something to this idea. The partisan media is not exactly presenting the idea's logically for discussion. "

Mainly I'm pushing the idea of talking to each other, rather than at each other. When faced with a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon between sides, at some point the smart move is to build a bridge.

The politicians on both sides are having orgasms over the divisions they created working so well.
edit on 6/9/2020 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
We all complain about corporations but what do folks think will happen when public self policing is an epic failure and cops wont come back, you get corporate security firms whos job will be profit over all else.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
No fear of being arrested for defending your own life?
Hallelujah!

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
St. Michael the Archangel: Patron Saint of Police Officers

www.catholicfaithstore.com...

Minneapolis wants to purge the city of the representatives of Saint Michael the Archangel. But this is the deeper spiritual significance. Progressives and Marxists hate God and His representatives. They have sought to remove God from the schools and the public places. Karl Marx hated God. Communism is anti God. Progressivism is anti God. It was ludicrous to watch Pelosi kneeling in the Capitol, pretending that she is a God-Fearing person, when she has promoted the most anti God activity.... abortion.
edit on 9-6-2020 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
trying to make white armed men look bad when they are forced to defend themselves, duh

edit on 9-6-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
No fear of being arrested for defending your own life?
Hallelujah!

dont worry, while you are about to get raped and murdered the accomplices will take video of your response and use the narrative to shape the response, including loss of liberty and income.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

You do make an excellent point, however, there is plenty of time to get all the talking points out for online astroturf Democrats to spread. Once they have them circulating, they'll start 'educating' conservatives about what 'Defunding the Police' uh...'really means'. And Democrats eat up those crap opportunities to feel intellectually superior.

As they educate 'ignorant' Republicans, they'll effectively be programmed as an effect of repeating the highly effectively 'talking points' they'll be fed and from the smug feeling of walking away believing they won the debate.

Or that's how I see this going.

edit on 6/9/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
Is this true or what?

I don't have time today.
Reply to my post plz.

Seems too good to be true imho.

Yep it's true, they just haven't given any detail on what/how they plan to replace the police yet. I'm guessing they will model after Camden, NJ since they did the same thing and it was pretty successful.

Good idea IMO. Minneapolis police are too corrupt to fix incrementally. Not sure how it will play out on a large scale, but like I said in smaller cities this strategy has worked wonders.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join