It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I The Only One Who DOESN'T Have A Problem With Police?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Lately I've been wondering if there are metrics on how many lives are saved, daily, by police that people are ignoring?

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Now that I am older I don't mind them. As a barber I interacted with a bunch. There were some who were full time cops. 24/7, even off duty, could not switch off the body language or speech tactics. Then I met one of my best surfing buddies, and found out later he was a violent crime detective for the Daytona Beach Police Department, for over 17 yrs. Changed my perspective forever. One of the best dudes I know. Would strip off his badge and throw down for you any day.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
No matter what group of people you pick, some are good, some are scum. White people, black people, police, protesters, "the troops," whoever. That's why it all has to be evaluated on an individual, case by case basis, and it's silly for anyone to say they uncritically support any particular group.

Except people who take a sad personal tragedy they are not directly involved with and politicize it for their own benefit. Those people are pretty much scum across the board.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: illusion987

I posted this in another thread. Thought I share it here too.

I helped with the rebuilding of homes in the 9th ward in New Orleans after Katrina.

We had to lock up the tool trailers, or keep a person stationed in them to keep people from stealing from the trailers during the work day. The trailers were staged right next to the houses being worked on.

Mind you, these were mission trips.

Another time, a group unpacked the few remaining belongings a person had from a storage Pod and left items on the lawn during lunch. The group walked down two blocks to the church. Ate their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, walked back. The yard was picked clean of the homeowners personal items.

One house I worked on was for an eighty year old lady. Very nice lady. Very proud her passed husband was a chef in New Orleans. Right after Katrina, somebody took her husbands knife sets from the flooded out house. The ministry was at the point to set a New AC unit for her house. The first AC unit was gutted for copper. The second had a steel cage placed around it. The steel cage was cut with a cutting torch, and the second AC unit was gutted for copper again. The third unit went on the home owners roof.

The church we slept in was locked up every night like a compound with a stationed security guard.

If lots of these people want legitimacy and respect, they need to start standing up and respecting the most vulnerable in their own neighborhoods.

What happen to Floyd was murder. PERIOD. And every cop should be by the book. Period.

But.....

Some people call the torching of buildings and protesters becoming vigilantes justice. But the same people label cops fed up by injustice who try to dispense “justice” on their own as police brutality.

It seems many cop precincts are set up for failure.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I usually have no personal issues with the police, but I try not to do anything that would bring me to thier attention. I do recognize issues that exist within policing in this nation, but I'm not qualified to say as a whole. I haven't experienced every department's brand of law enforcement.

In terms of others having issues with law enforcement, be it any legitimate cause, I respect, honor, and would give what support I could to rectify any injustice or fix anything that's broken.
As long as it's demonstrated as such.
But even so, I take a back seat to those whose voices should most be heard in the struggle.

No one elected or chose or asked me to speak or vouch for thier movement, nor would I presume it was my job to do so. I'll back the fight, and fight it if it comes to it. But the ones with the biggest beefs, should be the loudest voices. Not some advocate, lip service, sjw.

Nobody asked White Liberal America to be the Voice of Black America.

I don't see why Conservative White America should consider themselves so "privileged" neither.
But, what do I know? I'm just some dude with an opinion.

edit on 16Sun, 07 Jun 2020 16:25:05 -0500pmvAmerica/ChicagoSundayb20206America/Chicago by Gravelbone because: Fighting terror

edit on 16Sun, 07 Jun 2020 16:25:46 -0500pmvAmerica/ChicagoSundayb20206America/Chicago by Gravelbone because: None

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I wave to the police and smile whenever we see them. Never had a problem.

Unlike my girlfriend's mom who acts suspicious and tries to avoid them when she sees them.

Course my girlfriend's mom looks like a crackwhore so there's that too. Not that the moniker has no truth... just not the right poison.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: illusion987
a reply to: Grimpachi

I am saying after 10 samples, not one was bad. Am I just really lucky or is there a false narrative spreading?

Welp, here are a few examples from Minneapolis MN:

Floyd’s life was snuffed out on May 25 as a police officer pinned him on the street for nearly nine minutes, the officer’s knee on the victim’s neck as Floyd protested, “I can’t breathe.”

Clark was pinned to the ground by a knee to his chest in 2015 when a Minneapolis police officer shot him to death.

Castile was shot dead in his car in 2016 by a police officer in a suburban community outside Minneapolis.

www.latimes.com...

I guess you were just lucky. If you count being harassed unconstitutionally by the cops lucky. There are so many examples of police brutality against people of all races that I'm confused by your post. Besides you're being 'lucky', you also seem blissfully unaware of others not so 'lucky' run-ins with LEOs. I've had several interactions with the police and not all of them good but fortunately I was never harmed, though some of the cops had no reason to approach me in the first place. Cops, like anyone else can be good or bad. But if you have the misfortune to meet up with a bad cop, at least have the brains to realize your life may be in danger and kiss ass accordingly to prevent harm or death.

I don't hate cops and I appreciate that they are willing to do a job in mostly hostile environments and help take the bad people off the streets. And yeah, if I'm in a situation when needed, I will be calling on them to help me.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I would encourage all LEO's to take the first Monday every month off call it a nation wide blue Monday After the 2nd month of this people will be crying where are the officers. By the 2nd month the looters rapist and all others would see it as an open season each month on the weak.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: illusion987

I just don't understand what people are talking about when they refer to the abuses by police. I guess I was just lucky the 10+ times I have been stopped by the police. All different cops, different locations etc.

I dare say you haven't looked so much....so whatever grabs you.

Are you saying you have to look for trouble to find it?

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I’ve met some great humans who work as police officers in my life. My cousin is a NY State Trooper and a genuinely good guy. In my past experiences, I’ve dealt with both dickhead cops and some really great cops.

The worst experience was when I was walking my friend out to her car around midnight, this was back in 04’. I turned to walk back to my apartment when a cruiser hauled ass in my direction, stopped about 100’ away, the search light popped on and maybe 10 seconds later the door swung open, light still on me as the cop got out and ducked behind the door with a gun pointed at me. He yelled for me to get down and I practically belly flopped I went down so fast as I tried my best to squeeze my asscheeks together to prevent whatever was in there from flying out. He stayed at his car and I could hear him talk but not clearly, I’m assuming he was radioing in that he had a subject on the ground. I don’t know how long it was, but what felt like 5 years later, more cruisers pulled up behind me. Another cop approached and patted my waste and pockets down while I was still flat on the ground. I asked what was going on and he just asked if I had anything that was going to stab his fingers or if I had any weapons. Once he was done with that they had me sit on the curb and started questioning my whereabouts for the last 2 hours (my apartment).

I kept asking what was going on but could not get an answer. Finally, after about 25-30 minutes I was told that a man matching my description had flashed a girl nearby. They said they were going to bring the girl to our location for her to ID me. This actually got me pretty worried because all I could think was “What if she just wants this over with and ID’s me to get it done with?”. I had 4 different alibi’s as I had a few people over my house after work. The cop who stayed with me when they went to pick up the girl was pretty cool and we had a great conversation about guitars, music and Maine and Florida history. Eventually another cruiser pulled up, I stood up and they put the light on me again, more eternity, then I heard over the radio “Not him.”.

I thought pointing a gun at me was rather over the top. I was f*ckin’ barefoot and I know the cop saw me hug and kiss my friend before shutting her door. We saw him in the parking lot as soon as we walked out of the apartment and it was about 3-5 minutes between the time we walked out of the apartment and the time I closed her door. If I were going to bolt or do something stupid, I wouldn’t have just hung out in the damn parking lot in clear view of a cop, taking my time saying goodbye.

The other incident was a couple months after that. I used to ride a bike everywhere and was leaving my friend’s house around 2-3AM. I had a 10 mile ride ahead of me. Right after I got on the main street a cruiser pulled behind me and slowly drove as I kept riding until the lights came on. This guy was an asshole. Cocky and sarcastic the entire time, kept trying these stupid ‘gotcha’ questions on me. While I was an avid pot smoker at the time, I did not think I had any on me. In fact, I was anxious to get home because I hadn’t smoked all night. Long story short, the whole thing lasted about an hour and a half. 6 total cruisers came out to ‘deal’ with me, a clean cut, skinny little white dude from Maine who was being more than polite with someone who was straight up harassing and taunting me. They had a K-9 smell me while I still had my backpack on and he signaled I had something. The dick cop goes through my bag and found a plastic baggie rolled up and you’d swear the idiot just found a f*cking treasure. There was dust in the bottom of the bag, a non-usable amount of pot. He asked the cop next to him, “Should we bring him in?”, and the cop turned and said “Man, you’re wasting everyone’s time here.”, then walked towards the other cops, told them all to go.

For another 15 minutes this guy gave me sh!t for not having a lot of pot. “I guess your Chili’s job ain’t paying all that much if this is all you got. It smells like sh!t to, it’s not even the good stuff.”, at this point, I was fed up and still had a 10 mile ride ahead of me. I asked him, “Anything else?”, and was told to “Watch your mouth, I can still bring you in for paraphernalia. Get your happy ass out of here and consider getting a better job so you can smoke better dope.”

Several months after that, I flipped that bike over a curb because I couldn’t see it under the street light. I had crossed in front of a cop and hit the curb dead on, somersaulted ass over teakettle and just laid there after coming to my sense. As I started to move I knew my arm was broken. I look over towards the cop car and couldn’t see through the tinted windows, light turns green and he (or she) drove off. Now I know they aren’t obligated to help, but it would have been nice if the cop could of at least rolled the window down and asked if I was ok. The front tire was a taco and I had to pull the bike along with my good arm while I let the broken one hang there. Cell phones weren’t really owned by everyone back then so I had to hoof it home another 2 miles. So much for Protect And Serve (which was still on the cruisers back then).

I support the police. They do a job I don’t have the balls to do. But that doesn’t negate the fact that there are assholes out there who wear that badge to feel superior. I’m sure many start off well and get disheartened or hardened after dealing with the sh!t they have to deal with regularly.

I think it’s incredibly ignorant to believe “it never happened to me, it must not happen to anyone else”. I mean, most people don’t have AIDS, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Especially in this day and age where we’ve got videos of police doing some seriously f*cked up sh!t. I feel for the good cops that get overshadowed by the bad, just the way I feel for the black community for being as persecuted as they have because it’s not very different. Not every black person is a thug/criminal/gang member. The overwhelming majority I have met are nothing of the sort.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

I would encourage all LEO's to take the first Monday every month off call it a nation wide blue Monday After the 2nd month of this people will be crying where are the officers. By the 2nd month the looters rapist and all others would see it as an open season each month on the weak.

So begins The Purge.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
My only problem with police is that they are not hard enough on criminals whether they be white or black.
They are also more likely to kill a white criminal than a black criminal, which is a result of the fake narrative being driven by the media and the racist black people who lead BLM.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein
So begins The Purge.
Start at the gated communities first they have all the good stuff.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I think your experience fits the norm, rather than the exception. That's great for you.

But it's not for those with a different experience. That's the problem and that's what needs to be fixed.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Hmm... Think for a Second . Law Enforcement Officers sometimes put their Personal Lives on the Line to Enforce Laws that Government Officials and Lawyers Decide that are Needed . Once Arrested , the Courts take Over , and Often times Criminals get just a Slap on the Wrist for some Violent Crimes . Is that Fair ? No . The Criminal Justice Systems in Many Western Countries seems to be Breaking Down at the Moment . What could be the Root Cause of that then ? .........Hmm...

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If you do something wrong or a taillight or headlight is out, or you got your bumper hanging on by bungie chords, the cops pull you over. They say they do not have quotas, and they don't, but if they do not give out enough tickets, some of their budget is reduced. No quotas, just performance bonuses for the department. I know some cops pretty well, and one refused to give seatbelt tickets and the other cops were complaining because they needed to give more and it made them feel bad.

That cop retired and I doubt if he gave one seat belt ticket in all of his career unless maybe as a ticket where he gave a person a break from a worse ticket. Ten over gives you a seat belt ticket. I suppose I would be happy to get a seat belt ticket if I got caught doing seventy five in a fifty five zone.

Always be polite to the cops and they treat you ok. If you got a pile of tatoos all over you, than they might treat you a little worse since you are a colored guy. I would say around here more cops are bias against tatoos than color of skin.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I’m in Texas and I’ve been pulled over 2 times while on the way to and back from hunting camp.

First one in STX had a headlight out state trooper pulled me over asked for my license and insurance. I told him I know the light was out and was on the way back from camp. He asked did I shoot a deer and what guns I had we stopped on the side of the road as he inspected my deer and my guns shook my hand and we went on our way he gave me a warning

Second time was going into camp, pulled over for having my brights on. Showed him my papers asked if I had firearms in the truck. I said yes he said cool what do you have I told him and he gave me a warning. Shook hands and went on our way.

Got pulled over by TPWD for no turn signal going fishing showed all my papers hunting license and all shook hands and got a warning shook hands went on my way.

Just my experiences.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
a reply to: highvein
So begins The Purge.
Start at the gated communities first they have all the good stuff.

That kind of sounds to much like a dystopian future for my taste.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
My problem with the police is when they violate people's rights either willingly or from ignorance.

This just happened today. Police were called for a video camera and citizen journalists were put in cuffs and detained for ID refusal.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I live in a small town where everyone knows each other. The police are good. I got pulled over one day on my way home from the pub, I was very drunk.
Dumb I know but I was 22 and bulletproof.
I was very friendly to the police officer and once he saw my drivers licence he asked me if I was related to Paddy, I said yes that's my big brother.
He said he plays rugby in the same team as my brother and he was going to tell him that I was drink driving.
Then he told me to piss off home and don't do it again.

Good Cop?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join