It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can breaking a nose during stroke save someone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

hey, if you have low platelet count, have the docs check your ANA levels.
you might have lupus, which after 20 years of me checking my platelet count, we figured out.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   
NO!

Don’t ever think this will stop a stroke, sounds like a urban myth to me.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JoeGee

The broken nose bleeding probably reduced his blood pressure easing the bleeding in his brain.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoeGee
Does this make sense to anyone?

Who nose?

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoeGee

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: JoeGee

Ridiculous.If anything...it would kill or paralyze you by violently dislodging any all or partial clots.

Paramedic/EMT

Is there a possibility it could push the clots out?

Of course. At that point...too much blood loss, worse w broken nose....could push it/they out...but that's a pretty scary " you want survive both simultaneously.." scenario.

We'd have to pack your face while the rest is going into shock....and stroking out...from it.

Bad. Very bad
edit on 7-6-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As well to add above...pushing out a clot...means it moving...and that spells life threating...even if one could "sneeze or dislodge" an internal clot.

We don't move you at all if possible...because of that.

Get you there hopefully with little jaring because of the clot
edit on 7-6-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Guiltyguitarist

I belive that under certain conditions, this is correct.

My mother had a series of strokes a few years ago. I spent many days and weeks at her side. During the initial ICU period, her BP was 190/150, a very dangerous situation. I don't know the drug they used to lower it so fast but it knocked her out in short order.

So, from a laymans POV, going by what I saw with mom, a busted nose and extensive bleeding would, I suppose lower the blood pressure.

May clinic calls this a hypertension crisis leading to stroke.

www.mayoclinic.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

Possibly Angiotensin blocker or Warfarin?
edit on 7-6-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Just because a doctor tells you something, does not mean it is true. I do not know if the broken nose saved him from the stroke making things worse, I do not think anyone could say that is true. I do not think it could have lowered the blood pressure that much at the brain. Some strokes are caused by low blood pressure too, not enough blood flowing to the brain. Hypovolemia or low blood volume could cut bloodflow to the brain if a person has their blood vessels dialate quickly when they are dehydrated. Now smacking the nose could cause the blood vessels to get smaller, that could raise the blood flow to the brain too. There are lots of ways to look at things, but I doubt if anyone could say for sure if it did save your friend..

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

No it was almost certainly clonidine 0.2mg (also known as catapres) for a blood pressure 190/150
edit on 7-6-2020 by Guiltyguitarist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Sounds a bit like hitting the side of an old telly to fix the picture through. LoL

I mean, aye it may appear to work, under certain conditions, but its probably not a good idea in the long run, possibly adding to the problem.

Keeping in mind you can easily kill someone by braking their nose if the cartilage/bone goes into the brain.
edit on 7-6-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join