It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperate British TV viewers turn to crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Britain has emerged as the world's biggest market for downloading pirated TV, driven by tech-savvy fans who are unwilling to wait for popular U.S. shows such as "Desperate Housewives."
Britain's status as a TV downloading hotspot, revealed in a study by UK technology consultancy Envisional on Thursday, could pose problems for UK broadcaster BSkyB, which is counting on high-profile U.S. shows such as "24" to draw new subscribers to its satellite TV service.

Source

With all the new laws and heavy handed government coming down on software pirates and file sharing how are they going to solve the problem of stealing transmissions in the air?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Doh, we're not stealing the actual transmitions, some of you good fokes over in Canada and America record it onto their PCs and then pop it onto the Net for us

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Theres no way this can be stopped. Look what happened with the napster era. When they shut down napster about 10 other servers popped up. Only this time its TV/Films and not music.No one can control the power of the internet.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Desperate Americans turn to Britian for newest episodes of Stargate

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The easiest way to solve this is surely to just show them at the same time in the UK than America, why can't they do that?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Because nothing in this world is made easy.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'd probably put the BBC out of business if you all got American network television live in the UK.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'd probably put the BBC out of business if you all got American network television live in the UK.

unlikely. Eastenders is the most popular tv soap here for the masses. So are many programs on it. And even though we have cable, dad still watches BBC news rather than CNN, or sky news etc.
BBC also does nice series.. dont forget michael palin's himalaya series etc, going out all over the world, and been shared on p2p. Even the dalai lama said he saw him on tv going around the world.
Plus BBC is public funded so cant really go out of business as such. Comic relief comes on BBC and is very popular. I cant comment much since i stopped watching tv,including ur american network on sky about 1 year ago.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_illumbrato
unlikely. Eastenders is the most popular tv soap here for the masses. So are many programs on it. And even though we have cable, dad still watches BBC news rather than CNN, or sky news etc.
BBC also does nice series.. dont forget michael palin's himalaya series etc, going out all over the world, and been shared on p2p. Even the dalai lama said he saw him on tv going around the world.
Plus BBC is public funded so cant really go out of business as such. Comic relief comes on BBC and is very popular. I cant comment much since i stopped watching tv,including ur american network on sky about 1 year ago.

I agree, my family watches the BBC far more than any of that American crap!

Michael Palin's Himalaya Series was fantastic, I'm hopefully going for an expedition there when I'm older! Anyway...

...you Americans have far too many channels, and the BBC is the best TV corporation in the World, although i think Eastenders sux big time! Damn soaps!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Canadians breaking the law!, well my good man I think not old chap.

I like the Gorn (above), I suppose its from ST.
Would like to get a copy of the GIF or PEG.

Dallas

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Dallas]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I thought the BBC exported loads of documentaries and stuff esp to the US, have u seen that new yellowstone docudrama i think that was a BBC production.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Yeah it was...

...did you watch it?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I hate to break it to everyone but it is not a crime to download TV shows, movies or music.

There is no money involved so it is a civil matter.

It is not stealing either because nothing is physically taken.

Seems lke the corporations have brainwashed a few people.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Absolute rubbish 00ps

How can watching downloaded programs turn the British to crime?

Desperate British TV viewers turn to crime

Hell of a silly thing to say. So because i watch a downloaded film, i then turn to crime?

Still, i suppose it builds your points total up

Oh, by the way, i ain't desperate

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Yeah it was... ...did you watch it?

I only saw the second half, it was excellent and it really does make me wonder if the US has a good contingency plan for this scenario they would probably just temporarily take over good old Mexico lol.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
THee BBC rules. I was able to stream from my cousins about a days worth of programming. For one its not a censored POS and the shows are much better and different from one another. Honestly censorship sucks. The UK has very little censorship but you dont see the kids causing more crime or doing other thigns they saw on tv. American parents are so full of crap.

new topics

top topics

join