It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut Down All Police Movies And TV Shows. Now.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: infolurker

I would think that they would be insisting on a ban of hip hop music.
Bitches and hoes and whatnot...

If they are serious about the bad influences that is...

Well, that different, not really sure how, but it is. They'd riot if anyone tried that and label you racist.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Corporations stand. 269 with self proclaimed commies.

What could go wrong?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'd call rushing in to a building with an active shooter heroic.

I think his point was as a general rule, the job alone doesn't make them a hero, it's the amount of personal risk in stepping up for someone else's life that does.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It could be.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I'm not all particularly fond of them, but i know they serve a necessary part of a functioning society.
edit on 6-6-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Anyone else getting sick of "if leftest groups and organizations don't like it, then it has to go?"

Not as sick I am of hearing that everything an individual doesn't like is "leftist" (or "right-wing" as the case may be.

Nobody is going to get rid of cop shows. This is another instance of the nutzo minority being portrayed as the majority by the other nutzo minority.

SSDD

edit on 6-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I'm not all particulalry fond of them, but i know they serve a necessary party of a functioning society.

Neither am I, I've been a pretty harsh critic from time to time regarding the police & their (slowly dying off) bully culture. They serve a purpose, and like it or not, law enforcers really are needed. We've proven it the last what, week and a half in abundance -- people cannot police themselves particularly effectively, and the anti-police dingdongs cry oceans & demand the cops step in when others try to.

Like it or not, that's a baby we can't afford to toss out with the bathwater.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

This is so stupid, people must have been watching authoritarians like Gov Witmer and said, "Hold my beer".

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

This is so stupid, people must have been watching authoritarians like Gov Witmer and said, "Hold my beer".

Or yelling, "Teach me how to be as stupid as thee, my queen!"

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Shut Down All Police Movies And TV Shows. Now.

It's almost unbearable to watch anything these days.

It's nothing short of propaganda.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

For a century, Hollywood has been collaborating with police departments, telling stories that whitewash police shootings and valorizing an action-hero style of policing over the harder, less dramatic work of building relationships with the communities cops are meant to serve and protect.

I fully support Hollywood not collaborating with the government on production of entertainment.

It’s weird supposedly “small government” people would have a problem with that. I guess all it takes for people to fight for more government influence is knowing people on the left are against it.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Problem is they are collaborating with the government.

The wrong one. China.

They own too much of Hollywood now.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Did anyone else think that cop shows were true"?

Some people suggest watching and emulating as much TV as possible and if you're a member of the criminal justice system don't worry you're unsusceptible to it's brainwashing influence...

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Need to bring back Tony Baretta. “Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.”

“And that’s the name of that tune.”

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I’m watching observe and report eight now before it’s banned by the lefties.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

For a century, Hollywood has been collaborating with police departments, telling stories that whitewash police shootings and valorizing an action-hero style of policing over the harder, less dramatic work of building relationships with the communities cops are meant to serve and protect.

I fully support Hollywood not collaborating with the government on production of entertainment.

It’s weird supposedly “small government” people would have a problem with that. I guess all it takes for people to fight for more government influence is knowing people on the left are against it.

How is me middle fingering you over demanding removal of police-oriented films and shows, and telling me something like The Commish or Beverly Hills Cop is no longer available for me to view, being anti-small government?? TF kind of mental gymnastics are you doing today?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
In the OP you said "now we cannot even have regular television shows?" Come on now, that's a bit of hyperbole, don't you think? That's not what the article is about. Nothing's been cancelled, to my knowledge. Reruns of Barney Miller and Andy Griffith won't be getting bounced from syndication. COPS will still be on at 1o'clock in the morning on some static-y local station you get with a set of rabbit ears. WaPo doesn't have that much influence.

I think the point of the article, basically, is that action communicates louder than words. Which, I mean, should be obvious to everyone so the article itself is pretty pointless. It is apparent that many corporations and networks are trying to take this pro-blm stance by releasing carefully-worded statements and I think it would be ignorant of anyone to assume these statements are anything more than a preventative measure so that they don't find themselves the target of society's anger. So, like the article says, actions mean more than words, and if they really wanted to send a message, cancel a drama that glorifies cops instead of putting out some half-ass statement to show your "support". But it won't happen because the only stance the networks are going to take is the "pro-money" stance. Nothing's getting cancelled unless viewership goes down. I really don't think the demographics of most protesters overlap with the demographic that watches those goofy shows, anyway. Doubt any loyal viewer of a police drama will change their ways strictly due to this situation.

Now, that being said, There's no doubt in my mind that many of these cop shows are produced with the input of various real-life officers, police chiefs, and police departments. Need to get the details right, so might as well ask the experts. Same thing they do with medical dramas and any other series that revolves around a specific field. I don't know to what extent it influences the writing of a show, but most of these shows feature cops as protagonists. I understand wanting real cops input but whatever information they do give in these consultations is undoubtedly a vague glorification of the job that minimizes the cloud of corruption that hovers over every police department in America(at least in cities of 100,00+). So, when your work of fiction features cops in the role of the hero, and you're getting idealized input from real police... well, It isn't propaganda in the typical sense, but if it walks like duck...

Authority figures benefit a lot from positive media portrayal. There's a reason the CIA has an official Hollywood liaison.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Things are different in China. In that country, which is fast becoming the world’s largest and most important movie market, the ruling Communist Party exercises no such restraint. On the contrary, Beijing has a very clear idea of how a film industry should operate—namely, as an essential part of the effort to bring public opinion in alignment with the party’s ideological worldview.To that end, Beijing has been using Hollywood’s insatiable need for investment, and its vaulting ambition to reach a potential audience of 1.4 billion people, to draw it into China’s orbit.

Hollywoods Great Leap Backwards on free expression

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

This is largely the reason super hero movies(and other action films like the Transformers series) have become so popular the past decade or so: they are more about action than dialogue and therefore very easy to translate into Chinese without losing meaning. There's a few series of films that have like 3+ movies despite bombing in America and it's because they do so well overseas

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Take your meds america.. things are getting strange over there

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join