It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your favorite childhood songs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I was born in 1969 in the Saint Louis Missouri area. I was raised in a semi rural area that is now suburban to somewhat urban. I have seen gravel roads turn into highways and such nonsense. I did not think I would ever get to the point that I thought 1969 was a long time ago, but it was, it seems that way to me lately. I want to go over in my memory my favorite songs from when I was say 3 or 4 years old (when I can still remember) until maybe I was 12 and then I will end it all by posting my favorite song right now.

early childhood:

First up, The Monkees. What kid didn't like them back then? I have a memory of writing a letter to my mother
asking her that what are people going to do when they run out of music. I had this odd idea that the Monkees had reached
musical perfection and that no new music could be written after them. I am guessing I was 4 or 5 years old.

monkees - last train to clarksville:

Next up is Venus by Shocking Blue, I think I liked this song because I thought Venus might be Penis and I couldn't believe they were saying a dirty word on the radio.

Next up is Day in a Life by the Beatles. I remember hearing this song when my mom was shopping and we were in her car. I am not sure why,
but in my minds eye (and ears) I can still remember that moment and thinking "wow I really love this song".

Next up is Otis Redding. Just an amazing song, I remember always loving it whenever I heard it, which was all the time when I was a kid.

Vanilla Fudge, I don't really know exactly when I fell in love with this song. I recorded it (the vanilla fudge version) from the radio (KSHE 95 in STL) to a cassette tape recorder that my dad bought. This is their version of You Keep Me Hanging on and to me it is amazing.

---------------------------------------

more to come

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I too was born in 1969.

I remember, when I was even too young to go to school, that they would often play this between TV programs. For those that don't know, TV programs never used to fill the whole day.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Do you want a list of the naughty songs too that boys tend to hear from their older brothers? Like older military drafties.. I know a girl all dressed in green.....or first time i saw her laying on a hill....

edit on 5-6-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Here's one that I knew was naughty I just didn't know how

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Can't leave out this one

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
THe next 3 songs I think I liked because when I went to stay at my mom's parents house (WAY OUT IN THE STICKS in the foothills of the ozarks) as a kid there was a tv commercial for their rock radio station (in Jefferson City Missouri) and it played these three songs. Otherwise when there is was 24/7 old time gospel or bluegrass music. I appreciate that now, but at the time I really didn't. My grandfather was an amazing fiddler. Luckily I have a few recordings. Regardless, these songs I am posting do rock. I am sure that I just liked Mississippi Queen as a child just because I knew that was what I was near geographically and of course, because it ROCKS.

whole lotta love

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

mississsippi queen

----------------------

1974/1975 were David Bowies BIG years I think, maybe not? Still that is when I know I became a fan at the ripe old age of 6 or so.

david bowie - fame

david bowie - fame
www.youtube.com...

rebel rebel
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
These songs were songs that I definitely remember and here is why. I had the LP's by the artists with the exception of Jacson Brown. THe song by him I liked I like so much
because in 4th grade my first love dumped me for some guy that gave her a ring (which he probably stole from his sister). ANyway, I remember liking
that song because it reminded me of sweet Rachelle. My first love. I mean she kissed me at recess man!
The ELO songs are still two of my favs. My
favorite bell bottom wearing baby sitter bought me that LP for my birthday. I was SO happy. The black betty song because they played it when they
wanted to rile up things at my local roller skating rink after the slow couple songs, and then the glenn campbell song because I just always liked it.
Man, roller skating. It was a really big deal back then. So much fun.

ram jam - black betty 1977
www.youtube.com...

telephone line - ELO 1977
www.youtube.com...

living thing - ELO 1977
www.youtube.com...

southern nights - glenn campbell
www.youtube.com...

jackons brown - is she really going out with him?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
More Skating Rink Favs:

1980's?
fleetwood mac - gold dust woman - first song I ever "made out with a girl". I still have dreams about her here and there. I wonder where she is.
Odd that 35 plus years ago her face and so on is so in my memory you know?

www.youtube.com...

funky town - Lipps Inc.
www.youtube.com...

heart of glass - Blondie
www.youtube.com...

talking heads - take me to the river
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I was 12 in 1981. I really started getting a bit more into things. Black Sabbath, Pink FLoyd, even the Sex Pistols (odd for a midwest semi rural kid).
My favorite in your face Sex Pistols song: www.youtube.com...
But I remember begging for this album, I think because of SCTV or Fridays, I don't remember which, but I loved me some Devo and this was my fav song:

its a beautiful world - devo
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   
My favorite songs right now in general:

department of eagles - phantom other ----
www.youtube.com...

This song is the last song I sent to a good pal of mine who died
a few years back when we traded hipster dufus songs that we liked. He died of a heart attack that was probably
complicated by his oxy abuse as well as coc aine abuse. He is sorely missed by many. Sadly, the lyrics were a tad on point.

www.youtube.com...

hope sandoval and the warm inventions I was thinkin like that -

This song reminds me of my oldest son that has had so many difficulties in life due to drug addiction (benzo's). He is finally working it out (I pray). The
lyrics of this song get to me. They are sad to me they remind me of so many things. I am not sure that they apply really - just maybe in a surreal way. But if you
ever want to see a grown man cry, play this song around me after I have had a glass or two. I love my oldest son dearly as I am sure so many of you that have any
children do. Its so hard to see someone you love so much hurt themselves so deeply. Life sometimes just blows ass.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-6-2020 by Fools because: .

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So for 2020? I am really enjoying Avey Tare. I have been a fan of Animal Collective since whenever, but Avey's solo stuff is always amazing.
Caution, this video may cause seizures or worse:

Avey Tare - Uncle DOnut ---- www.youtube.com...

Also the same artists newest EP:

www.youtube.com...

and hell, for my country cousins, a song that is on an album bout his love of turning rural:

link only

www.youtube.com...

------------------------------------------------

Favorite Album ever. It just is. Sure it isn't everyones cup of tea but it is mine. I like to relax and relaxing is important.

The Moon and the Melodies:

www.youtube.com...

Ok, I am done. Thanks for reading this post. And I am interested in seeing what younger and older people than me post. To
me that would be alot of fun to see and listen to what others liked in their lives musically.

Honorable mention goes to KISS. WHen my older sis got some of their LP's, my dad looked at the sleeves and said something like,
"I have put better looking animals out of their misery."

Speaking of, my Republican xenophobic, racist, blah blah blah parents were ok with all of this. And members of my direct family married
and even had SEX with people that weren't their color or nothing. I am not sure how that ever happened. I am kind of confused.
But still, we are all in touch with eachother and so on. I am sure that wont last long if yu have your way right?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Hahahaha!!!! That was the very first record I ever bought all by myself with allowance money I had saved in my piggy bank! No record "ratings" or age limits back then! Heard it on that cartoon The Groovy Ghoulies and loved it!

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
Do you want a list of the naughty songs too that boys tend to hear from their older brothers? Like older military drafties.. I know a girl all dressed in green.....or first time i saw her laying on a hill....

um sure?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

originally posted by: underpass61

Hahahaha!!!! That was the very first record I ever bought all by myself with allowance money I had saved in my piggy bank! No record "ratings" or age limits back then! Heard it on that cartoon The Groovy Ghoulies and loved it!

Answering twice I guess? I was considering "my dingaling" by Chuck Berry. A KTEL album my mom bought you know?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Puff The Magic Dragon.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Puff The Magic Dragon.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I must've had a different childhood experience. I remember kids songs when I was 3 or 4:

I've Been Working on the RailRoad, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Your Boat, the ABCs, etc, lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Bridge over troubled water... I spent a ton of time with my grandma who always played this song because I loved it. She would indulge me by playing it over and over again for me. Later, when I was seven, we emigrated to way northern Canada from Scotland and she managed to call the local radio station from Scotland and have them play it for me on my birthday. Song still brings tears to my eyes thinking about my grandma and how much I miss her.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
To this day I have no clue what the hell he's saying...I remember the day my father came in my room and broke the cassette tape in half. This was in the 80's BTW.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
RUSH: Moving Pictures

I still have the CD in my car; I go nowhere without it.

The first side of that album, still pushes me toward speeding tickets.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join