It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Hong Kong's New Leader Denies Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Hong Kong's new leader Donald Tsang insisted today that the territory's sudden change in command was not part of a Chinese conspiracy and also stated that the former British colony was moving toward greater democracy. Donald Tsang last week replaced the unpopular Tung Chee-hwa, who had led Hong Kong since it was returned to Chinese rule in 1997. Last week Tung quit after citing failing health. Many believe that Beijing's communist leaders fired him because they wanted to have someone in power who was more to their liking.

www.kentucky.com
One of the factors fuelling the conspiracy theories was the government's awkward flip-flop on its reading of term limit laws. Last year, the government's legal experts said that if a chief executive quits, the law says the elected successor would serve a full five-year term.

But after it became clear that Tung was leaving early, officials and legal experts in China began saying that Tung's elected successor would only finish Tung's term - about two years - and another election would be held in 2007 as originally scheduled.

Hong Kong officials quickly changed their minds and supported Beijing's legal interpretation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well if this guy claims to be able to improve the countries economic state then why not give him a change. The elected chief is expected to server for five years, which is probably why this is causing a stir as he only served a two-year term.

Related News Links:
www.kentucky.com
www.iht.com

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
In terms of competence, i have no doubt that Tsang is much more capable then Tung, the former head. But it was difficult to govern Hong Kong considering how much some elements in HK attacked Tung, he wasn't the devil they made him out to be.

He just wasn't capable enough in politics.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I think some people just want to quit sometimes...and this guy is a good example! His time was over and he knew it, so he left.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yeah, i would've quit too, Tung's loaded.

All he ever got from the HK leadership was a bad reputation, he should spend his money on a vacation somewhere.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Shang Tsung rules ALL!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Hong Kong's New Leader Denies Conspiracy

*sniff* They had me at hello........

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Repeat Post - Ignore

[edit on 14-3-2005 by phixion]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Shang Tsung rules ALL!!!

Isn't he a character from Mortal Kombat?!

top topics

join