It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jane Elliott on what everyone can do to fight racism

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I'm going to type this as calmly as I can while I'm sitting here. My older brother, is not white. He was adopted and then I, the mistake came along shortly after.
If you came at me in public about me being racist and challenged my love for my brother, I would assault you.
I dont care what that makes me in you, or anyone else's eyes, because people like you should cease to exist.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma
Just curious, how much of Jane Elliot have you looked into?

I would think that her views wouldn't really side well with today's liberals. At the very least I would think she would be labelled problematic.

To be clear, I'm a big fan of hers. My views on racism were molded by her and uncle Phil more than anyone else.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Me: Act as if race doesn't exist? Sure. Great.

Police State Legal System: Blacks commit more crimes and deserve to be targetted.

Me: But ... uh ... that lady just said that ...

Police State Enforcers: Blacks are violent and usually hopped up on drugs so any level of violence is okay.

Me: Well, that's not generally true and it's illegal ... but

Police State Narrative: Blacks are so gullible to be duped by the Democrats into voting for them.

Me: They're wha ... no! You believe that a whole group is not as smart as you becasue of their skin? That's racist!

Police State Chorus: There you go playing the race card again; there is no racism.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Is this a thread or an advertisement?

To be fair,
This is someone on Jimmy fallon of all places saying that 2 Black leaders were murdered by TPTB.

That's threadworthy.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jaellma

I never implied your kids are racists. I am merely asking what knowledge you have imparted to them just so in the event they encounter an issue of that level, how would they be able to deal with it. It is a simple but very important question.

Children are born 'blank sheets' and absorb what goes on around them.......

If you have to teach them how to deal with something that has not occurred

to them, you are the one implanting racism with subtlety?

reply to Breakthestreak
If you want to end racism, stop fkucen talking about it.

Star for you!

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Phew, finally we get to the point:

Assuming you are not black...You may have done some of this listed but feel free to chime in.

Why does my race matter? Is racism only black and white? I mean it can't be that right or it wouldn't be systemic in your eyes.

1. If you have any black friends or family members, have you engaged them in any discussion about race? Have you asked them if they have ever been racially profiled? Have you asked what you can do to help that situation?

No because I know they have, as have I and as have you. It's called tribalism. You can modify behavior as most do but you can't escape the minds bias. Were wired in this way.

2. Have you challenged other people in your circle to think critically about racism? When you thought NFL players were cowards by kneeling and you were challenged on that thought did you go back and ask anyone why your thoughts appeared harsh or insensitive?

No because the people in my 'circle' aren't racists. Did you find that quote of me saying they were cowards? I mean if you're going to pull it, may as well source it. Also, I don't care if it was insensitive or harsh.

3. Have you called out and challenged any perceived "white privilege" incidents in your past that you may have witnessed firsthand? If so, how did you handle it?

White privilege? No. Privilege, absolutely.

4. Have you written to your state legislator about decriminalizing marijuana? African Americans are disproportionately arrested more for weed possession.

This isn't any of your business but suffice to say that you're barking up the wrong tree.

Ah, so the judicial system may have the problem and not me? Weird, and you spent all this time trying to equate the two.

My turn.

You mentioned black and white folks. Why are you only focused on those two? Do they matter more than the rest? Does their racial plight not matter or part of the systematic racism being touted?

I asked a few times now how you would try to solve the racism problem. Your response was to talk at them and hope they change their ways and only certain people can do that.
Who are they?
Who grants them authority?
How does one become..whatever this mysterious position is?
Does race matter?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

You're the first one to say so.

Maybe could have been covered in the OP. IDK.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

I never implied your kids are racists. I am merely asking what knowledge you have imparted to them just so in the event they encounter an issue of that level, how would they be able to deal with it. It is a simple but very important question.

Children are born 'blank sheets' and absorb what goes on around them.......

If you have to teach them how to deal with something that has not occurred

to them, you are the one implanting racism with subtlety?

Nice try but tell that to the multitude of innocent black children who are now asking "why do they hate us so?"
As a parent, where do you start to explain that if the question came out of the blue?

Their innocence is gone in a flash and it's welcome to reality for them. A damn shame but reality.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   

You going to answer my questions yet?

Haven't been fed those talking points, yet, lol. Spent the entire thread avoiding your queries. This is hilarious. I laughed so hard in this thread watching this person sidestepping, and not being able to articulate their points.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   

a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

You're the first one to say so.

Maybe could have been covered in the OP. IDK.

Ummm...

"She also mentioned Martin Luther King Jr was working very hard to help all the races and groups of people. He and Malcolm X were getting closer and they didn't want that to happen so they had to be killed."

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Phew, finally we get to the point:

Assuming you are not black...You may have done some of this listed but feel free to chime in.

Why does my race matter? Is racism only black and white? I mean it can't be that right or it wouldn't be systemic in your eyes.

1. If you have any black friends or family members, have you engaged them in any discussion about race? Have you asked them if they have ever been racially profiled? Have you asked what you can do to help that situation?

No because I know they have, as have I and as have you. It's called tribalism. You can modify behavior as most do but you can't escape the minds bias. Were wired in this way.

2. Have you challenged other people in your circle to think critically about racism? When you thought NFL players were cowards by kneeling and you were challenged on that thought did you go back and ask anyone why your thoughts appeared harsh or insensitive?

No because the people in my 'circle' aren't racists. Did you find that quote of me saying they were cowards? I mean if you're going to pull it, may as well source it. Also, I don't care if it was insensitive or harsh.

3. Have you called out and challenged any perceived "white privilege" incidents in your past that you may have witnessed firsthand? If so, how did you handle it?

White privilege? No. Privilege, absolutely.

4. Have you written to your state legislator about decriminalizing marijuana? African Americans are disproportionately arrested more for weed possession.

This isn't any of your business but suffice to say that you're barking up the wrong tree.

Ah, so the judicial system may have the problem and not me? Weird, and you spent all this time trying to equate the two.

My turn.

You mentioned black and white folks. Why are you only focused on those two? Do they matter more than the rest? Does their racial plight not matter or part of the systematic racism being touted?

I asked a few times now how you would try to solve the racism problem. Your response was to talk at them and hope they change their ways and only certain people can do that.
Who are they?
Does race matter?

I am not gonna spend more time addressing each and every one of your points. You continue to dance around questions but it is becoming clearer to me your mindset and position on this topic. You just think you are above racism, it doesn't exist to you or in your circle. What a bunch of bs.

Let me tell you that MOST people are racist, to some degree (and don't bother to ask me "what degree? explain the degrees"). Some are more racist than others. I would say I sometimes harbor racist thoughts but I control, suppress them and eventually eliminate the thoughts. I never say racists things to people or act out racist in any way, but it would be disingenuous for me to say I or anyone I know don't have an ounce of racism in me. Most grown folks are racists. Don't jump out the window or get mad at me about this. Just accept it and learn from it.

You race DOES matter because unless you are black, you would never truly know what they experience racially on a day to day basis. You would have a level of understanding but to know the pain they go through, you would have to experience it as a black person.

You said you haven't engaged any of your black friends on discussions about race and mentioned tribalism. That's fine and dandy. I am not here to castigate you but just understand you more. You can be wired a certain way but discussing things that affect us differently can only help to bridge the gap that separates us in the first place. No question about that. What friend wouldn't want to do that?

I remember you IMPLYING (not saying) that kneeling NFL players are cowards and didn't remember when you mentioned it but it stuck in my minds. I had to dig to find it but it is mentioned in this thread.
What's funny is you are asking me to source a thread on kneeling and your actual thread is titled "Kneeling". Wow
Kneeling - by JinMI

I am also sorry to bust your bubble, white privilege does exist. Don't ask me to prove it but I will tell you in my walk of life, I have met people who take advantage of this social construct and abuse it time and time again. You yourself may not abuse it or are even aware you are part of it but if you do live in the US, you can be damn sure it exists. Folks whose names are not "Jamaal" or "Dewayne" or "Laqueesha" have a much harder time finding jobs than other people, even if they are equally or more qualified. Prejudging is a huge part when dealing with privilege. Heck, I am sure people on here want to know my race, my gender, my background, am I racist, etc.

My question on asking you legislators about weed possession had nothing to do your complicity but rather if MORE people wrote to the legislators (are you with me so far?) then it would be more of a concerted movement and we all know that concerted movement helps all causes. That's the whole gist of understanding an issue and defining if is is systemic then working together to help defeat the systemic problem. Sometimes that is the most effective way. But as a group of people, we have got to try together! Don't just say it is not your problem and walk away. It is all our damn problem. Let's deal with it together.

Umm, no! I said "assuming you are not black". That means you could be white, Asian, Latino, etc.

Who are they?
Does race matter?

Who are they??? The same "they" YOU mentioned in your lead post. Remember you asked me if I were to run into a racist person, what would I do. Well, I am talking about that racist person.

Anyone can discuss race with anyone. You don't have to be some "authority" or anything. You just have to use your past experiences, your heart, your compassion and a willingness to work together to overcome whatever ails you. Someone with more experience and training may be more helping in situations as these but there is no "mysterious position" to become in order to discuss race relations.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

Haven't been fed those talking points, yet, lol. Spent the entire thread avoiding your queries. This is hilarious. I laughed so hard in this thread watching this person sidestepping, and not being able to articulate their points.

Show me where I sidestepped. I answered everything I could. Funny, in a thread I asked people on what they can do to help fight racism, hardly anyone has anything salient to say but throw barbs back at me.

Tell me, what have you done to help in your cause on the fight against racism?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You have a good point. Racism is racism. Racism against White people is just as obnoxious as against Black people.

Can you give us some examples of state-sponsored racism directed at White people? Don't try the tired old saw of Affirmative Action, because that helps to include Blacks not exclude Whites. (Figured that was your go-to and wanted to save you time.)

When's the last time a White church got shot up by a Black man?

When's the last time a White man was executed by strangulation in the street by cops?

You're making implicit claims, so I'd like to see the evidence.
edit on 5-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

Show me where I sidestepped. I answered everything I could. Funny, in a thread I asked people on what they can do to help fight racism, hardly anyone has anything salient to say but throw barbs back at me.

You didn't side-step bud. You're witnessing gang posting techniques.

Not uncommon. Keep posting.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Lets start here, what claim am I implying that you would like to see evidence for?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Lets start here, what claim am I implying that you would like to see evidence for?

Why not start with the parts of my post that end in question marks?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I found this funny...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I believe you aren't starting a conversation in good faith that's why. You presume much so we'll start on a good foot or not at all.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Jin listed them back out for you, and you failed to address all but one. I am not doing the work for you, in your thread, smdh. Keep up, homie.

I haven't seen any racism to fight. I grew up poor in Florida. We were all afraid of the 5-0, and we all went to the same bbq's. I saw some prejudice from all sides, but never any real racism. People around me from all walks had all kinds of careers, and the white kids and black kids turned into eff ups at equal rates. Maybe I have been blessed for my nearly 40yrs, but I just don't see it.

edit on 5-6-2020 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I really think people are getting racism and prejudice confused, and they look ignorant.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join