It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Weird Response...What to make of this?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So some of you may recall a post I had on here a while back about my father and some history about his experiences on with a certain B-17 during WWII in Europe. Some may also recall another post I made about my absolute shock at hearing, from out of the blue, from the granddaughter of a mechanic who just happened to be the B-17's namesake. (Note: I am intentionally not posting specifics, and I'll get to why in a moment).

Out of the blue I received a message from this gal introducing herself as the granddaughter of a person my father knew quite well. Even more shocking was the fact her grandfather was still alive at 101. She posted a link to a video of her and him. She provided all sorts of details and some historical pictures not even I had (and I've done considerable research), even some pictures of my father. Wow, right? 75 years after the fact! Clearly she had done a bunch of research also. Of course, I responded back and we exchanged several messages back and forth, each with increasingly more detail from her. Here's where it get's really weird.

By about the 3rd or 4th message back and forth we're on a first name basis with each other. She's in her late 30's and lives in New Orleans and is apparently a WWII history buff. Then she goes silent for about 3 months. I just figured maybe she said all she had to say and really didn't think anything more about it...until the day before yesterday. On Tuesday of this week I received a message from her...and it was truly bizarre.

In the message, she introduces herself (again), she basically covers all the same things she covered in her very first message to me. At first I just thought maybe she accidentally re-sent me her original message which I had saved. I went back and compared the two messages and they're completely different, same material but completely different wording, length and structure. Says she would like to strike up a conversation about her grandfather. Well, that's weird because...we already did that...in a fair amount of detail! It was like we never messaged back and forth, and this was the first time she'd reached out to me. She knows me, so why would she suddenly reach out like she didn't???

I haven't responded, and I'm not sure if I should. I started thinking about this (maybe a bad thing) and it seems just weird enough that it might be something else like some sort of a scam or something. She hasn't asked for anything, and I'm pretty careful about not providing personal information as a general rule anyway. For the life of me, I can't figure out how someone could possibly benefit from something like this if it was some kind of a game. I don't know what to make of it.

What does ATS think?

P.S. The reason I didn't post any specifics in this message is because of how she located me in the first place. She had found a post I had made several years ago on another forum by using a keyword, and it must have been a pretty deep web search too! So I have intentionally left out specifics from this message so this post won't show up in a keyword search...at least until I have a better understanding of what might be going on.

What do you think?

ETA -
Simple memory lapse / brain phart?
Alzheimer's?
Scam?
Something else?
edit on 6/4/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Proceed as if that was the first time she contacted you and see what happens. If it's some kind of scam and she didn't keep track of the fact that she had already spoken to you, it should become obvious. "She" might be doing this to many people at once.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Is she hot?

She probably just forgot. Ask her and say, 'Are you hot and did you forget you already contacted me?'.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Any idea if she's been contacting many other people for history on her family?

My first thought would be she's juggling a few lines of enquiry and she's not kept tabs on where she's up to and who's already been in touch.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Is she hot?

She probably just forgot. Ask her and say, 'Are you hot and did you forget you already contacted me?'.

A hot girl with no memory.
I'm liking this.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That sounds kinda creepy. I'd nope out of it personally.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You can dabble a bit, flat out ask for a reasonable explanation or just play it all anew.
At worst just going to ask for money or information and then it’s time to pull it.

It’s nothing till it’s something

link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Any idea if she's been contacting many other people for history on her family?

My first thought would be she's juggling a few lines of enquiry and she's not kept tabs on where she's up to and who's already been in touch.

My thoughts too...

link   
a reply to: Tulpa

This is a very good point, and something which did cross my mind. She had to go to quite a bit of effort to contact me the first time, including registering to a website. She has no other posts on that website other than to contact me.

So, it is possible she's reaching out to multiple people and just forgot. However, the second time she contacted me she used the exact same method as the first time, AND, she posted on a thread I had posted the story on. So, if she only registered to contact me, and posted on a thread, she would have known why she registered because she posted on the same thread about it. And I replied...in the same thread...about my surprise. When she contacted me a second time, she also posted a second time in the old thread. Again, similar to what she had posted the first time, but slightly different, like it never happened!

**queue Twilight Zone music**

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
A hot girl with no memory.
I'm liking this.

Yup. Saves on chloroform expenses.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

From what little I could tell in the video, yeah, she is kind of attrative! LOL!!

And NO, that wasn't why I was interested!

You made me laugh because my first thought when I read the 2nd intro message was to respond with..."What are you wearing??" LOLOLOLOL! Like the State Farm commercial. Just as a joke of course, thinking it was a scam and all.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I'm thinking this may be the correct approach.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ignore her. Weirdness over.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Well, the problem with that approach is, she clearly does have some historical information about a subject which is very important to me. So by ignoring her, I might be ignoring a valuable research source.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

My second thoughts.....

I'm stumped. That Twighlight Zone music just started up.

Proceed with caution.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'd be cautious a bit , especially with that second message.
Even if she forgot your conversation it she should see the last messages between you two in her chat app , unless she is using a fresh number with no previous chat log , wich is even more fishy.

They could have vetted your family by searching your name , and use that picture of your father as a garanteed "foot between the door" in terms of trust.

if you don't share confidential personal info you could proceed this as far as you feel comfortable , i can imagine the need to know more about your father and the people he was with in the war.

But this could be a scam tactic to play on the emotions of people , making them more prone to being the victim of a scam.

Especially that second message makes it wierd as heck.

Hope things turn out oke for you.

edit on 4-6-2020 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2020 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I love this response...I shouldn't but I do.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Good points.

She actually used her original account to contact me the 2nd time, and this is what triggered the Twilight Zone music.

And just to be clear, it's a forum, much like this one, where there are both (public) posts and PM's in the background. She both posted on the forum (public), but also contacted me via PM (private)...both times.

edit on 6/4/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I don't think there's anything weird going on...she probably contacts many people if she's into this...and maybe she didn't remember she had already spoken to you. Maybe she gathered all the information for her records that she needed, hence not hearing from her in a few months.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Ask for phone # and call her, what’s the worst that could happen, you have to block her down the line. I think actually talking to her would probably answer all your questions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join