It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change the Culture, Change the Perception!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Disclaimer:
If you find this offensive, feel free to comment. That's not a requirement however, bare with me..

Here we go,

Think culturally.

Speaking as a person of "color" and experience..

The pervasive culture of our community is a thug culture based on street politics. It is embraced and seen as a virtue. This essentially gives the perception that as a whole, the black community are sociopaths which is a ridiculous notion, however that's a fair assessment if you take into account association and emulation.

We must change our values, ethics, and MORALS to be taken seriously.💯

NO EXCUSES.

Take personal responsibility and accountability of OURSELVES and those things that we can control and change, which is 'US'!!!

"Implicit and institutionalized racism" is the wall between where we are and where we could be. Don't continue to build it. Tear it down.

Tear down the stigmas and stereotypes!!

You're limiting your depth and potential by being unnecessarily stereotyped, which would be remedied, simply, by being able to be taken seriously.💯

"CHANGE THE CULTURE, CHANGE THE PERCEPTION".

edit on 6/3/2020 by EternalShadow because: correction, eta

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow
Implicit and institutionalized racism is the wall between where we are and where we could be.
Please explain to me what Implicit and institutionalized racism is. thanks

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
Implicit and institutionalized racism is the wall between where we are and where we could be.
Please explain to me what Implicit and institutionalized racism is. thanks

My point exactly. What is it? Its jargon.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If it is a gaming of the system against another group then it knows no skin group. Case in point the old signs posted for help that said insert people group name need not apply. This is prevalent among all people groups clear down to who's going to date my child.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
You always have to be the change you want to see. So many people demands the world change to suit their needs/demands/desires but so very few people are willing to change themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

How does that address our CURRENT state of affairs other than being another excuse to sustain the narrative??

We can do this.....stay with me here...

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
You always have to be the change you want to see. So many people demands the world change to suit their needs/demands/desires but so very few people are willing to change themselves.

That's a great point. The focus has been on the outside as it pertains to color, without a warranted look towards the inside that contains the PERSON.

Black and White...

So very very weak and over played..

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

How does that address or current affairs other than being another excuse to sustain the narrative??

You can't force people to change. I grew up during the late 60's and remember long hairs being denied jobs to being spit on and beat up by the juicers and greasers, it did not matter what color you were it was an ideological difference.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

How does that address or current affairs other than being another excuse to sustain the narrative??

You can't force people to change. I grew up during the late 60's and remember long hairs being denied jobs to being spit on and beat up by the juicers and greasers, it did not matter what color you were it was an ideological difference.

Again, your analogy doesn't line up, it's another excuse.

I'm stating here and now that thug culture is tearing us apart and making us seem unapproachable, inaccessible, obstinate, and without values or basic concerns.

Stay with me now...

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I'm stating here and now that thug culture is tearing us apart and making us seem unapproachable, inaccessible, obstinate, and without values or basic concerns.

Stay with me now...

OK so how do you make force people change.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Stay with me now...

Why ask me, why not ask everyone that of themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thank you all for letting me vent!👊🏽♥️

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Stay with me now...

Why ask me, why not ask everyone that of themselves.

That is a copout from the name of the thread you change the culture change the perception and my response was you can't force change unless you make the perceived wrong more painful than not changing. You mentioned the thug culture was this not the same mindset as the 50's street gangs? How did society deal with that mess?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   

So basically as I have seen stated before that the portrayal of African Americans since the mid to late 90's til now with musicians, rappers, artists and actors basically anyone who has gotten rich and glorified, has a specific theme.

Portraying their community as thugs, gangsters, and most un-apologetically the most sexist misogynists known.

Are you asking me or anyone else looking in to now change that view?

Or are you saying that is not truly the view or representation of the community and they should change the narrative? That possibly that sort of sensationalized stereotyped yet perpetuated culture has held portrayed them incorrectly?

Asking for my white friend who only sees hypocrisy from a change that needs to come from within...

edit on ambAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoThu, 04 Jun 2020 00:05:38 -0500am12America/Chicago by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Dont wear the uniform ( of a thug) and you wont be seen as one....

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Well said I wholeheartedly agree.

edit on 4-6-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'm so blessed to live in a country where you can stand up against oppressors. Stand up and tell the police you are better than the police think you are. Then prove it to the world by burning their sh*t down.

Biden had never met a clean articulate black man before Obama, BUT Trump is the racist..........

message lost...........
edit on 4-6-2020 by aceshootn because: oops

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Take personal responsibility and accountability of OURSELVES and those things that we can control and change, which is 'US'!!!

Hasn't that been the message since the beginning of time? Apparently, too many people choose not to take it seriously or care.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It has everything to do with their actions and how they present themselves and nothing more.

I've encountered many different nationalities that 1st arrived in America.. people from russia, india, central America, German, Irish, Italian.

And if its one thing they all bring up after first living in America. Its what's up with the way that culture acts.
They all have never seen people act In such ways.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's both.

The perception and/or culture has to change, but so do the opportunities afforded to those black people who are legitimately trying. It's not 100% one or the other.

new topics

top topics

join