It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A welcomed surprise... good things in bad times

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: ketsuko

Poor little kittens and they seem to have a bleak future
as coyote food.

Having outdoor cats in the country is harsh like it is in the city.

Getting through those first two years of life really weeds out the unready. Colony life rapidly weeds out extra males. They start ranging out pretty far. The top cat will chase them off because of breeding reasons. Some will find places with the neighbors ... maybe, but they just disappear if they can't chase off their father.

The females who live will stay around and mother the next generation which could be with the local tough guy or roving males from the neighbors.

A cat that lives through those first few years can have a good long run, but getting to that age where they've learned how to make it is a gauntlet.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I have been seriously thinking about getting some outdoor cats.

I live in rural South Florida in the hundred acre woods. Now that I have planted a field garden I am battling voles and rabbits. I was thinking that an OC (Outside Cat) would help.

I have always had cats, but never an outside cat. I lost my Lazarus last year, he was 21 years old. The only time he was outside was on a leash. He thought he was a dog, because he grew up with dogs, so he walked nicely on leash like the rest of his pack.

I don't want a single cat, I don't like the idea of any animal being by themselves. I don't know how to go about training them trained to being outside cats, yet members of the family and homestead. I need them to get along with all the animals, including the dogs and chickens.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

All of my cats have been indoor only cats.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I do understand how nature works,but could someone
spay and neuter those adult cats so no more kittens
end up on a coyotes menu?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

In the country, barn cats and farm cats are very useful.

We have the TNR project in our area, so out here we don't have a huge problem with cats.

www.neighborhoodcats.org...

The coyote problem is starting to balance out a bit, since people stopped shooting them on sight. They found out that over killing them was creating a bigger problem than letting nature take care of the problem.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

great news. I have Rooster issues. Roosters have been notoriously mean, and I decided that my flock could survive fine without one. They do and I'm happier for it. We now have a gay hen who is aptly named "Daryl" who services the other hens.

We could do a pretty convincing nature vs. nurture study with her.

Enjoy your eggs. I figure mine cost about $35 a dozen once all factors are added.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

All of mine are indoor only.

What you would want is to check into the feral cat programs at a local human society or no kill shelter. They will most likely supply you with neutered and/or spayed ferals that aren't ever going to be pets. They were caught too old to really be socialized. They'd be able to give you instructions on how to keep them around long enough to regard your home as their base of operations and territory.

Then it's sort of whatever. They'll go where they will, and they'll be exposed to all the regular hazards of outdoor life - roads, predators, etc. Like I said, get one that makes it and you'll have it around for a good long while. It's that learning curve that's steep. And if they aren't breeding, that helps too. They won't fight like they would otherwise.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I do understand how nature works,but could someone
spay and neuter those adult cats so no more kittens
end up on a coyotes menu?

They tried that, but lost all of them. When the local predators come through, they'll wipe you out of all your cats. You need the outdoor cats to control the mice, rats, and other small critters because those same predators who will eat your cats, can't be bothered to make enough of an impact to matter up around your buildings, and the cats, of course, can't be bothered to stay up around your buildings where they would be safe.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Follow-on update.

# 2 and #3 didn't make it. The others were gone, as well. Bummer.

Junior, however... is a very strong, healthy baby. Getting one healthy chick, out of those unhatched eggs was incredible.

<< 1   >>

join