It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black borders are here to influence us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to this site, so i offer my excuses allready if someone allready started this topic...

I'm living in Belgium and here, there is a new movie which is called 'waargebeurd' (in english: 'really happened'). It is about a normal guy who has some strange ideas about the black borders we see above and below the image on TV. He thinks that mediacompanies send out messages in tones of black on the borders, so that we are influenced but without knowing it.

So what he does? He goes into the building and takes everybody hostage for several hours, trying to speak to somebody who can confirm his believes. But as the tension grows higher, police arrives, nobody wants to speak with him, he commits suicide...

Well, I'm sorry but I only can find a dutch review of the movie (maybe someone can find an english one???)
www.warnas.net...

I don't have the technical knowledge to find this out on myself, but this story shocked me a little bit, what if it is true...?
* It this story true?? Are there secret messages in these black borders?
* Are the media using this system as a way to influence us?
* What are your experiences with this matter?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
True black. Ever heard of this?$$$ Well there are many shades of black my friend. You're film-maker was saying something significant.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I never heard of that one.

The black borders are there to preserve the original theatrical aspect of a movie, which is quite rectangular on the square TV screen without having to do pan and scan thereby editing out parts of the movie's visible area.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
It's possible. But if messages were being transmitted through black borders then the solution would be to purchase a Widescreen TV that projects the image at a 16:9 ratio. This would eliminate the black borders and prevent any messages from being transmitted.

Although, the black borders may be telling you to buy a Widescreen TV, in which case...it would be highly effective.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
That's pretty wack, There is no truth to this at all...

But there is truth that the TV is doing more than just
providing you with entertainment. I don't know what
but it is something. A co-axle cable seems pretty simple
but the copper they use can handle large amounts of
energy.

I think TV's influence people, there is no conspiracy about
it. If you don't turn it on your life is more 'real'

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It has been shown in studies that T.V. induces a person to go into a theta state of mind. This mind state is highly suggestible and that is why you get pelted with advertisements. Movies have their own inherent manipulations but, really, the biggest power it has is the time it causes you to spend. If you're watching T.V./Movie, you're not doing anything 'constructive.'

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
If you're watching T.V./Movie, you're not doing anything 'constructive.'

Why do people think this way? You can do other things while watching tv. I'm usually watching tv, playing with the siblings and nieces, talking with whatever family/friends are over/on the phone, and cleaning.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Any news on the movie? I know Richard Kelly is planing on creating a movie based along the 24fps and the deception of mankind.

Edit: www.imdb.com...
Based on a true story

[edit on 9/3/2005 by Simulacra]

top topics

join