It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More old books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
A week or so ago I went out searching for more books and, once again, had some pretty good luck. And in one case found the creme de la creme of my collection... so far.

I found a 1960 hardback of Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"

A hardback of "The Sahib Edition of Rudyard Kipling Poems and Ballads " But, so far, I can't nail down a specific date other than very early 1900s.

The pièce de résistance ?

..................................................anticipation is hell innit ?

ok, ok...

" A Fourteen Weeks Course in Astronomy" .......dated 1870. There's a signature inside from a student in New Orleans, but I'm having trouble making out the name of the school. I think it says"Loequet Institute" , but I'll keep digging.

Happy hunting.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

OOooo man!! I'm so envious!! Especially over that astronomy book! What a score!!!! Congrats!!
If you don't mind my asking, Did you find them locally or internet shopping?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I used to love book collecting. Discovered that yard sales in certain upscale areas are the best places. I once got a set of Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire for an incredible price for the age and condition it was in. I felt I was stealing it from the owner. He explained he was going through a divorce. Somehow I have a feeling there was a little spite or malice put into the price of that set. Also sold me a complete unused set of the Encyclopedia Britannica for $10.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

A few curiosities here...

English Mystics - G. E. Hodgson 1st ed 1922.

Christianity and the Supernatural - C. F. D'Arcy 2nd ed 1909.

A Study in Scarlet - Arthur Conan Doyle not dated but a little search found a match for the Ward, Lock and Co. Which looks like 1904. A little pocket sized one.

Also UFO Manuel 1956 - M. K. Jessop. I'll probably try and sell that one.

Missed this thread before.
Was getting a bit of mud.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

It's something different that doesn't involve doom and gloom. 😊

While I'm not a book collector and while, in and of itself, not that unique the most rare thing I have is a first pressing of the novella The Hellbound Heart written by Clive Barker. This novella is actually the origin and basis for the world of Hellraiser.

What makes this copy special to me is it is actually signed by Clive Barker and says, "Andrew, welcome to Hell"

new topics

top topics

join