It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Systemic Racism?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I was having a debate with a liberal coworker and friend. I said that I honestly don't see systemic racism toward African-Americans happening around me. The only systemic racism I could think of was Affirmative Action, which is meant to help African-Americans at the expense of other races.

I asked her to give me real life examples but her answer was she read about some. Lol then still failed to even list the ones she read about.

I do beleive there are racist people. Some very racist pieces of crap, but those are few and far between. But I don't see systemic racism.

What am I missing? Can someone give me some real world examples of systematic racism that are happening in the USA in 2020?

ETA
I live in a relatively affluent suburb and most of the African Americans around me are doing quite well for themselves. Not saying I am rich.

edit on 2-6-2020 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

Sure.
Black men get longer Jail sentences.

Asian men get the shaft on college admissions.

Ever see a white metro driver?

Lots of examples out there.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Longer jail sentences than a poor white guy for an equal crime with equal criminal history?

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

So I’ve heard.
I know I’ve read they get longer sentences but I’ve never seen a comparison done based on income.

Public defenders suck.
Win or lose, they get paid the same.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So I’ve heard.
I know I’ve read they get longer sentences but I’ve never seen a comparison done based on income.

Public defenders suck.
Win or lose, they get paid the same.

Public defenders do suck. That's why they are public defenders.

You definitely want a good lawyer even if you have to borrow from friends or family because you are # our of luck without one.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

What am I missing? Can someone give me some real world examples of systematic racism that are happening in the USA in 2020?

ETA
I live in a relatively affluent suburb and most of the African Americans around me are doing quite well for themselves. Not saying I am rich.

Institutionalized racism has happened since the Affirmative Action Program was passed.

Seems to be pretty anti white heterosexual male though.

As far as actual racism?

I met a guy about 25 years ago that hated my guts instantly because I was Native American.

Although at the time he thought I was Hispanic.

Same color skin, I guess.

Other then that, I've never really met anyone who gave a damn about what color I was.

They get more freaked out about my sexuality, actually.

So no... I'm not really seeing systemic racism anywhere.

edit on 2-6-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I was having a debate with a liberal coworker and friend. I said that I honestly don't see systemic racism toward African-Americans happening around me.

Yeah.

That's what a lot of white people say when black folks and their ancestors have been subjected to 400+ years of racism and oppression, from slavery to civil rights, and with the current policing that unfairly targets African Americans.

It been systematic since this nation was founded, and is still present, and that's that problem.

A black man as president only made it worse as the racist rats became more vocal and loathesome, which resulted in Trump and his racist base.

Yes, Trump emboldens racists and white supremacists.

Yes they want to bring back the "old way."

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Maybe my friend Trevor can shed a little bit of light on the subject.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I met a guy about 25 years ago that hated my guts instantly because I was Native American

Sorry you had to deal with that. Some people are just ignorant assholes.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Maybe my friend Trevor can shed a little bit of light on the subject.

Can you please repost the video. It won't play. I can see it but it won't play.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

The NBA, how can 13% of the population fill 75% of the NBA...got to be systematic racism...

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
There is a new kind of racism we see from the left.

They hate all races

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
OP, do you really think there is a conspiracy against the white man?

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

No,no,
Thats talent.

Ha

link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I was having a debate with a liberal coworker and friend. I said that I honestly don't see systemic racism toward African-Americans happening around me.

Yeah.

That's what a lot of white people say when black folks and their ancestors have been subjected to 400+ years of racism and oppression, from slavery to civil rights, and with the current policing that unfairly targets African Americans.

It been systematic since this nation was founded, and is still present, and that's that problem.

A black man as president only made it worse as the racist rats became more vocal and loathesome, which resulted in Trump and his racist base.

Yes, Trump emboldens racists and white supremacists.

Yes they want to bring back the "old way."

Specific current examples of systemic racism please. Nobody can change the past no matter how bad we want to so no sense in dwelling on it. All I have power to do is say that I am sorry that your ancestors were oppressed in the past.

link   

It plays for me, both in mine and your quoted post.

Try this
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

I think anyone who is not WOKE kind of takes a hit. If you are not WOKE and then happen to be a straight white male its like a trifecta for many.

edit on 2-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

No, a conspiracy would suggest that the agenda was being hidden.

+60 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

You probably shouldn't have brought up the "Divider In Chief" who set back racial tensions in America about 40 years.

As for your "White-Splaining" about what you think is going on...

We as Americans don't currently own slaves... we fought a war actually to take them from their Democratic owners.

So no... you do not get to play the "Slavery" card when it no longer exists.

As for our history....

As a Native American, should I wake up hating the "White man" every morning because the Trail of Tears severely pruned my family tree?

Why would I?

It doesn't effect my life, after all.

Should I be terrified every time I leave my house that the "White man" is going to terrorize me, unjustly prosecute me, treat me differently when it comes to law enforcement?

Well, that's never happened in my life so why should I?

Look in a mirror.

You are a part of the problem right now.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

No,no,
Thats talent.

Ha

Oh ya! you just proved you are racist too! If you do not believe what I believe you are racist!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join