It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. bans Sinn Fein from fundraising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It said the order, passed to Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams via U.S. State Department channels, followed White House anger over accusations the IRA was continuing criminal activity.

interesting move by USA doing this wouldnt of thought they would bother, obviously they do.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
About time!

After years of cheerfully supporting a terrorist organisation and only three years into the War on Terror the USA has stopped funding a terrorist group!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This is a move in the right direction. Sinn Fien needs to disarm, and they should be keeping their heads down ever since 911, what with training the palestinians way back in the day, not robbing banks and beating people to death in bars. They may've served a purpose in the past, but they're part of the problem today.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
They were a bunch of murderes portrayed by idots as 'freedom fighters' because they occasionally shot a British soldier when not blowing up women and children.

For people to support the IRA and Sinn Fein in any way is similar to saying that Al Quaida 'has a purpose' because they brought to light the inadequcies of DNA profiling when there are not enough bits to fill a thimble!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This all depends on what you make of them.

As a scotsman I say this isnt a scots thing but a strictly irish inhouse problem.

They have moved away from action I think since the "troubles"....still cant get my head around it, irish killing irish..irish killing british, british killing irish

ah crazy guys the irish and NI are anyhow!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I will just Add a link for those who are unaware of the situation at this time,

skynews

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Even Teddy Kennedy has spoken out against them. They are not to be iinvited to St. Patrick's Day festivities this year.

I too cannot understand Irish killing Irish. What's that all about?

[edit on 14-3-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Even Teddy Kennedy has spoken out against them. They are not to be iinvited to St. Patrick's Day festivities this year.

I too cannot understand Irish killing Irish. What's that all about?

[edit on 14-3-2005 by jsobecky]

**Puts on history hat with a red "L" on it**

It started off when ireland declared independace and the catholics wanted to stay with the UK and the protestants wanted to go with ireland, the protestants were in small numbers and the catholics were in dommince. The IRA was made to try and unite the NI and I together. Since they couldnt do it by normal means, the PIRA was made. Provisional irish repuplican army, they used any and all tactics to get thier goals but did have rules and regs and were highly trained, experienced, armed and supplied.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Also, as far as 'irish killing irish', its somewhat more complex than that. The north of the island, Northern Ireland, is inhabitied by a number of emigres from england scotland and wales (tho i suppose mostly england and perhaps scotland). Indeed, all of ireland has been filled with lots of englishers. Many of the scotsmen that moved to ireland were also themselves moved out of scotland to make way from english 'immigrants' (while still others were moved all the way to nova scotia, 'new scotland').

I mean, doesn't make much of a difference but I suspect some of the harder core of the irish republican movement back in teh day didn't consider lots of hte people that they were killing ot be irish.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
After having read some of the comments relating to the "irish question" it seems to me some of my learned friends could really do with studying their history slightly better!! The Catholic population being in the dominance???? Protestants wanting to become part of a united Ireland??? Wrong way round there me thinks! The reason you then had a PIRA was a split within the Republican movement creating the provisional IRA and the offical IRA. One wanting to take a political, peaceful solution and the other using miltant, terrorist means! Mainly english emigres??? Think you need to read a wee bit on the Plantation of Ulster! Come on people.... Read a little before blindly commenting.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Oh....right sorry wrong way round...thats why I had a learner sign on my hat....see..

**Puts on history hat with a red "L" on it**

new topics

top topics

join