It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100% Prevention for SIDS/Crib Death Why doesn't the American Public know this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
As a healthcare educator, I've taught more American Heart Association classes than I can remember. The AHA slogan is "Back to Sleep" to remind parents to place infants face up at bed time. While showing results, its not 100% I stumbled accross a study that has been 100% successful in New Zealand.

Source www.childrenofthenewearth.com.../sheppard_jane/article1

I did a search on it and the majority of the sites were UK sites. Studies at University of Munich concluded in 2002 "The statistics showed that the proof of the validity of mattress-wrapping for crib death prevention was one billion billion times the level of proof generally accepted by the medical community as proving a scientific proposition."

Why are we telling parents "Back to Sleep" instead of telling them to wrap the crib mattress? Popular speculation is that its about the all mighty dollar.

If thats what the "American" Medical Association is all about, then I don't want to be American.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Parents Are Denied Findings

So why isn't this profound and critically important information making the headlines of major newspapers or all over the evening news? Why aren't crib death researchers and the government of the United States telling parents to wrap babies' mattresses? Why are the manufacturers still adding fire retardants and other chemicals to mattresses?

There are various reasons, but one possible reason is that mattress manufacturers are required to use fire retardants through government regulations. Admitting that these chemicals are causing deaths would mean admitting to major liability. Furthermore, crib death research has been a significant source of funding for medical researchers in the U.S. Crib death research funding has nearly stopped in New Zealand as more people become aware that mattress-wrapping is easy, cheap and 100% successful in preventing this tragedy. Unfortunately, the ongoing complex and expensive research that leads to the discovery of "risk factors" for a so-called "syndrome" has pushed aside the simple and inexpensive solution of mattress-wrapping; a solution that can do no harm.

As usual it's all about the money.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
What a horrible thing to hide...

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
yup, my fiancees niece just had a baby and I've directed her to some info regarding this, thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Interesting reading, but it brings me to another question...

Aren't baby swings, blankets, carseats, strollers, pillows, playpens, playmats, stuffed animals, crib pads, mobiles, etc. also made from or treated with fire retardant chemicals or material?

If this chemical is killing infants, how about adult mattresses treated with these chemicals? Do they cause athsma and other breathing problems or conditions in adults?

Here's a big question though: Does this 'wrap' also prevent allergens such as dust mites and their droppings from taking hold in bedding? Could it retard bacterial growth from wetting or drooling babies that might be making some kids sick? Wrapping might be more effective for more reasons than we think.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thank you for such a wonderfull post. Opening more eyes to this could help save many children.
I think its sad that so many babies die each year and parents if armed with this kind of info could have prevented such a horrible death of a child.
We lost a family baby a few years ago. Was the first and I hope the last infant funeral I ever have to attend. I only wished this had been available in time for us.
Again, Thank You

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
Aren't baby swings, blankets, carseats, strollers, pillows, playpens, playmats, stuffed animals, crib pads, mobiles, etc. also made from or treated with fire retardant chemicals or material?

Yes but most of these items can be washed regulaly or just aren't porous enough to allow fungal growth, plus a small child probably wouldn't be stationary for long enough to get the dose required to do harm because as it was playing/moving with them the airflow over the object would diffuse the higher concentrations.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Very Informative, thanks for sharing the information. I will pass this onto some friends that have new babies.

new topics

top topics

join