It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis Riots Are a Reminder that Police Don't Protect You or Your Property

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Growing up in the country on a farm we never thought about the police coming to save us.. Weird for some to consider that type of thinking I am sure. But when stuff happened we took the best course of action we could come up with; it did not matter meeting someone at a window who was trying to break in with a shotgun in hand and telling them to go away or stopping a pack of dogs trying to kill the livestock you have raised. We took care of stuff ourselves and it was totally normal for us and our neighbors in a 20 mile radius.

It was totally normal for people to try to break into your windows and the windows of all your neighbors for 20 miles while you where growing up?

Where did you live that this was happening so often?

I don't I think I even know someone who has had a attempted break in let alone people who think its a normal occurrence. In the country on a farm would have been my last guess as a place that had to deal with home invasion on a regional basis.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

I think Sky may be pointing to the fact that traditionally, Americans were a helluva lot more self-reliant than they are today, by and large.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I think Sky may be pointing to the fact that traditionally, Americans were a helluva lot more self-reliant than they are today, by and large.

Or (s)he is pointing out an opinion that traditionally, Americans were a helluva lot more self-reliant than they are today, by and large and is baking up that opinion with false memories about his small country town having a rash of home invasions.

I was trying to figure out which one it was.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Hmmm ... if Americans were at some point more self-reliant than they are today, does it matter?

Unless you’re analyzing an individual poster’s psyche for some reason.

At any rate, greater self-reliance would solve about 99.99% of all our “problems.”

That to me is the point of departure.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Hmmm ... if Americans were at some point more self-reliant than they are today, does it matter?

Unless you’re analyzing an individual poster’s psyche for some reason.

At any rate, greater self-reliance would solve about 99.99% of all our “problems.”

That to me is the point of departure.

I think its ultimately self defeating to pretend that some bygone era was somehow better than the one we are currently living and that some diminishment of our human values are to blame for our current strife.

With the lack of real evidence to the contrary; I'd be more inclined to assume that Americans as a whole are as self reliant today as they have ever been. On an individual base some people are more self reliant than others; and that has always been so.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No, I'm on the right side, the rioters (they stopped being protesters after the first store got robbed and car fire bombed) are on the wrong side.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

If the govs, mayors and chiefs of police were being truthful about wanting to address what happened to George Floyd then they will address the out of control police clearly seen in dozens of videos.

NYPD has claimed they are now investigating the officer who shoved a woman down after swatting her camera away. Not only did he assault her but he stopped her 1st Amendment right to film the police. His supervisor was behind him when he did this and did nothing to stop him or help her.

We will see what comes of that... But what part of this is acceptable? These police are slow on the uptake.
edit on 31-5-2020 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I think this is the pivotal point.

From Constitutional rights to technology, we have everything we need to realize that self-reliance and self-sufficiency.. without losing any of the perks of modern society like connectivity and widespread cooperation.

I think we need to:
Stop watching the news, including local
Stop using sites like facebook/twitter
Start gaining food/power/manufacturing ability at the individual level

I dont believe it would take too long for folks to start seeing what is possible right in their home and in their own communities, instead of dependency on centralized structures.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Of all the years on a farm an attempted break-in only happened once. I was young and asleep, Dad was working nights, so that left mother to say go away. It was dark and according to her she did not get a good look at the guy as he turned and ran away as soon as she showed up.. Mother figured he was some kind of bum from the small town some miles away.

There was very little to "NONE" crime simply because everyone to include the women knew how to use a gun and were willing to say go away while armed. No one I can remember was a shoot first and then ask questions kind of a person for that would have required calling the Sheriff. WW2 generation who were citizens of America and tried to be good citizens without domestic problems at least where I was..

I did not know anyone, neighbor wise, who was not armed (meaning a gun in the house within easy reach) when home and many times when out and about doing work on the farm. Different time in America and the weapons were usually a shot gun or a .22 because that was just about all anyone could afford..

Dad had brought a German Luger (SS) back from the war and because it cost so much to shoot he traded it for a .22 revolver... I think he got some money too but I am not sure..? The Luger would be worth allot of money today and the .22 revolver belongs to my brother.

So DanDanDat hope that clears it up for you.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Of all the years on a farm an attempted break-in only happened once. I was young and asleep, Dad was working nights, so that left mother to say go away. It was dark and according to her she did not get a good look at the guy as he turned and ran away as soon as she showed up.. Mother figured he was some kind of bum from the small town some miles away.

There was very little to "NONE" crime simply because everyone to include the women knew how to use a gun and were willing to say go away while armed. No one I can remember was a shoot first and then ask questions kind of a person for that would have required calling the Sheriff. WW2 generation who were citizens of America and tried to be good citizens without domestic problems at least where I was..

I did not know anyone, neighbor wise, who was not armed (meaning a gun in the house within easy reach) when home and many times when out and about doing work on the farm. Different time in America and the weapons were usually a shot gun or a .22 because that was just about all anyone could afford..

Dad had brought a German Luger (SS) back from the war and because it cost so much to shoot he traded it for a .22 revolver... I think he got some money too but I am not sure..? The Luger would be worth allot of money today and the .22 revolver belongs to my brother.

So DanDanDat hope that clears it up for you.

Thank you; it does

top topics

<< 1   >>

join