It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta mayor condemns violent protests in fiery speech: 'If you love this city go home'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on May, 30 2020 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The mayor of Atlanta delivered a powerful speech last night.

"This is not Atlanta. This is not a protest. This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr. This is chaos. A protest has purpose. When Dr. King was assassinated we didn't do this to our city. So if you love this city, this city that has had a legacy of black mayors and black police chiefs and people who care about this city where more than 50 percent of the business owners in metro Atlanta are minority business owners, if you care about this city then go home."

Source

Regardless of who started the violence and did the damage to the CNN building and police cars and what their intentions were, the message to the people she's actually addressing about what the protests need to be and accomplish is right and true.

The Atlanta police chief also made a video statement yesterday and met with protesters in the streets for a very long time in person yesterday.

Living in Atlanta and meeting up with Atlanta police quite often, on the streets, at sporting events, and about various enforcement issues, I have to say that though not perfect, they are diverse, courteous, friendly, and appear to be trying very hard to do their best at true community policing.

It sickens me that the protests here turned violent last night.

Anyway, Atlanta is fortunate to have two strong leaders who are honestly addressing the realities of the situation we're in. Your thoughts?
edit on 30-5-2020 by GravitySucks because: put video links in wrong

+5 more 
posted on May, 30 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   
That mayor is 100% spot on. There is no excuse for destroying your city.

Unintelligent people riot.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: GravitySucks

Respect.
These two care about their city and care about the injustice. I hope people listen to them and "go home."

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
wsbtv.com

Kiesha Bottoms had a great passionate speech so did all of the people speaking including Killer Mike with the "Kill your Masters" t-shirt on. Kind of made me wonder a bit, yea I get, it's the Colin Kaepernick shirt, but in these days and times, it was a poor choice of attire at official city news conference. It weakened some of Mayor Bottoms' thunder and even though what the guy was saying was absolutely on target and a great message. Here's hoping it got through to the people that can't just peacefully protest, and want to destroy everything they get their hands-on.

edit on 30-5-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat May 30 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I agreed with her up until CNN, someone needs to burn that cesspool media conglomerate to the ground.

Other than that what she said is powerful.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Saw that press conference live last night. Killer Mike was there and spoke as well he had some interesting things to say about CNN.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
I agreed with her up until CNN, someone needs to burn that cesspool media conglomerate to the ground.

Other than that what she said is powerful.

Why dont you do it instead of asking others to become criminals, lead from the front instead of from behind your keyboard

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Not completely wrong or am i missing something:
US should stand with Minnesota violent protesters as it did with HK rioters

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

LOL very much so if you compare the two societies seriously.... Hong Kong was able to actually protest peacefully of course one could say they knew they would have a boot up thier azz if they didn't. Maybe thats why while Amaerica agrees on the police brutality all of us don't agree to let it disentigrate into burn it down BS. It's overkill and it muddles the message

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

So your asking me to be a criminal? What are you doing behind your keyboard at this moment? Leading the way?

You’re funny.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Riots are the language of the unheard. The old normal isn't worth fighting this hard for. Just say know to your binary political power structures and the belief that the media is designed to do anything except keep us in our place. I hate violence, but I am more than familiar with it. I want love and unity but I understand we will have to fight for it, one way or another.

We summoned this with a million tiny witches spells.

We reap what we sow.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It's their city. They can burn it to the ground for all I care. Then they can party amongst the riuins.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Yes. The shirt took me aback for a second as well. I hadn't seen that one before then chose to interpret in in the figurative sense, as the masters of today being ignorance and poverty and violence and in listening to his stirring words, soon forgot about the shirt.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Today, the National Guard is here. I hope they don't stay home, but I do also hope they regroup and do it right. Hard in today's climate of division and mistrust though, isn't it?

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

That gal has more balls than the second-rate Trudeau they have in Minneapolis. No one's looting her town!

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

You're missing something.

The people in Minnesota have a right to be upset. The entire country is. No one defends what Chauvin did, but we also have a legal process, and it takes time. In case, the rioters missed it - the White House got personally involved and sent the DoJ on the case to expedite the situation as quickly as possible.

Building a case and investigating takes time. If you want Chauvin to serve time, then you also want to make sure that investigation is thorough so the prosecutor can build an airtight case against him with charges that will absolutely stick. That too takes some time.

For most of us, we still trust the system enough to allow the time to pass and we wait in our anger and see. If Chauvin gets off, then we'll be truly angry and outraged, even beyond what we are now.

But for the protesters and rioters, they won't be happy until they can physically drag the man out and string him up from a light pole and lynch him with summary justice. They aren't seeking justice; they want revenge.

edit on 30-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Absolutely. A quote I've heard and seen and even used myself many times this week.

I might possibly argue that our binary political structure is, at its core, unary. We are led by the media and social media far too easily, seem not to think for ourselves anymore. Have a dearth of leadership.

Then there's this quote from MLK: "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek but a means by which we arrive at that goal."

There seem to be too many divisions and accelerationists to even allow us to determine a path out of this mess.

Yes, we've turned to violence in the past to achieve the world we wanted to see. Revolutionary wars and civil wars. Perceived as good fights to many.

Do we have to do it again? Do we have it in us? Is it necessary? Do we just roll over and accept our fate?

I'm not sure. There's so much to think about, and it can all get very emotional and confusing.

The fact remains that this week yet again put a very large lens on a big problem we have in the U.S., a problem that is not going away, a problem many are struggling to cope with in a time where we are already coping with so much.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The unintelligent, the desperate, the frustrated, the easily led. Yes. Many contributing factors.

And there's a big difference between a riot with its random and chaotic violence and destruction and killing and a fight for your freedom or to right a wrong, isn't there? It's just sometimes it seems like there's either no one or maybe too many to fight.

This is not a simple this, this issue.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Thank you for this article. Despite the cultural difference, maybe we'd be wise to try to learn from the struggle in Hong Kong.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
What an emotional piece of garbage that link is, wow 🤢🤮

top topics

<<   2 >>

join