It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank You Protestors! I get it now!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Amen. To think a counterfeit twenty dollar bill finally eclipsed the coronavirus nonstop news feed. Don’t you wonder what the officer’s body Cam recorded?.a reply to: burdman30ott6

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Mach2

The violence we've seen justifies the harsh actions of the cop.

At least some will think that.

No urban city in 'Murica like Minneapolis to LA are like Mayberry RFD.

People need to get it through their thick heads.

The streets of America aren't very safe to begin with. Tha'ts why we have cops.

Wow neo, no the cop wasn't justified.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Insane..isn't it! he's not the only one, but most recognise the obvious.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Insane..isn't it! he's not the only one, but most recognise the obvious.

I stopped at his comment, that was enough for me.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Peaceful protest, and sheer unadulterated courage.

He stood out front, at the podium and spoke his piece. ...and he was listened to by many, heeded by many, and changes took place. Slowly, and painfully. People, both black and white, died or were badly hurt. Yet his courage, and courage of others like Medgar Evers, served as examples to us all.

The only example these assholes are setting is proving that they are throwing a temper tantrum.

Are they angry? Yes. Do any of us doubt that King, and Evers weren't angry?? They were furious at the treatment they'd received, and fomented change--but not by rioting or looting their own damned neighborhoods. Stores that service that very community are being ravaged...sacked...looted. By the very same morons who, in a few months, are going to be screaming about how bad it is.

No, #, Sherlock. No #. Who, I wonder, will they blame? If ever there is a clear example of cutting ones nose off to spite their face...this sort of idiocy would be it.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull
youtu.be...
Seagull look here^^ before you judge them to be all assholes just venting, first no one is in charge here, there is no org directing action, like back in MLK days.
But still you have these guys who know why they are there..pls klik the short vid link see what I mean.

edit on 1-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   

There is an unintended and unnoticed side effected from the ongoing and widespread unrest. Trump's re-election chances are increasing despite his flaws. Trump's partial Jacksonian tendencies are not a unifying force. Nevertheless, if the situation stabilises or dies out, then Trump benefits in the style of Nixon.

In the 1960s, a time of turbulence and at times civil unrest, Nixon's play to the 'Silent Majority" of Americans was effective with voters. Now, the U.S. electorate is possible to polarised for this majority to exist any more. Still, Trump's support for law enforcement is likely to play well with voters. Perhaps, shades of the 1968 presidential election are in play.

Will Trump win re-election in a 1968 type landslide? On a balance of probability, no. Anti Trump - MSNBC bots are inclined to vote for a turkey if one was endorsed by the DNC/anti-Trump propaganda outlets. Trump's principled detractors and others (the genuine members of the #MeToo movement spring to mind) might stay at home or vote third party on election day.

Biden is in the Hillary Clinton trap. He has no message beyond hating Trump and what "big money" special interests are paying him to think. Trump suffers from character defects. But the majority of Trump's detractors are thinly disguised communists, who would turn their country into the next Banana Republic.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Thank you for listening.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

But the majority of Trump's detractors are thinly disguised communists, who would turn their country into the next Banana Republic.

Indeed, almost as if it were planned that way.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I'm well aware that not all of them are just immature idiots venting...or assholes, either.

I'm well aware, too, that there are legitimate issues that need to be raised, or more correctly, need to continue to be revisited.

The work of the Kings, and Evers, and the thousands of others that began before I was even born will never be completed in its entirety...much though we wish it could be otherwise.

But burning your own neighbors out of their homes and businesses? I have to ask, what does that accomplish, either short term or long term??

It's an honest question. Maybe you, or others, have insights I lack.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to listen more closely to reasoned arguments, rather than someone attempting to bully others.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Typically, I look at what each politician is promoting. That seems to give some insight into what they are responding to.

For instance, Pelosi right now is a perfect tell. She has pretty much rendered herself impotent by her botching the impeachment attempt, the proxy voting, her continual drunken appearances, and her seeming disdain for the general population. I'll not give examples of all those here, because it would take up an entire post... just know that there are plenty of examples of all of the above. She knows this, but she cannot accept this... and that makes her easier to read.

Pelosi was one of the original Trump-haters. She has worked tirelessly to sabotage everything Donald Trump has ever tried to accomplish. During his first two years, she had limited power, but she still tried to downplay all the economic success Trump achieved. Once she received her gavel, Pelosi has been busy. First it was opposing the Wall. That told me she was afraid the Wall would do what we all knew it would do: drastically decrease illegal immigration. When that was failing, she tried to stop it by taking steps to make it look like Trump was closing down the economy. When none of that worked, she went to work getting an impeachment passed... a risky move politically, but I believe she was desperate because she saw in the internal polls what was really happening in the country: Trump was gaining support.

Her latest attempt was to blame the WuFlu virus on Trump's supposed slow response... which incidentally coincided with her delayed impeachment attempt. Coincidence? Maybe, but that's for another thread. Now the riots have begun, and her attacks have been far less specific, preferring to use generalities to downplay everything Trump has done. That tells me those internal polls are showing increasing support for Trump.

Also coincidental, I watched the local news today on the networks (I was curious how close the riots were getting). They were again focusing on the WuFlu more than the riots. Knowing that the networks are solidly in the Democrat camp, that also tells me that the riots are giving Trump a boost. They are trying to shift the news story back to the WuFlu so they can try and blame Trump again for the lockdowns.

I'm not referring to the polls we see when I mention polls above. The polls we see are designed for public consumption. They use questions worded to elicit specific responses and their sampling is biased toward Democrat supporters (or at least those who they believe will not support Trump). Thus, the numbers are always skewed toward the Democrats, as we saw clearly in 2016. What we do not see is that the pollsters know their data is skewed, and can adjust that data to give a more realistic picture of the country. This information is never published; I know it exists because the polls are typically biased toward the Democrats, the Democrats still react to the polls as thought they are not skewed, and the mathematics needed is well-defined.

So yes, I agree with your assessment. I also believe that this situation has passed the point of no return. The police have already failed... curfews mean nothing because they cannot be enforced against such huge numbers, cities are now being looted freely because the police are tied up in other sections of town and are low on manpower, and even when the police do discover an area being looted they do not have the manpower nor the facilities to arrest them all. The only solution left is for Trump to order in the military to restore law and order in cities where all hope has been lost. That will place Donald Trump the savior of civilization at direct odds with the Democratic mayors/governors who have allowed crime to run rampant... and of course Biden, whose staff has been trying to bail out the rioters.

In that situation, 2020 will be a landslide. New York could even go for Trump; so could California, although with the mail-in voting the Democrats will have a massive edge there no matter what. Trump's largest problems have been the larger cities; now he has the opportunity to be the one that saves them, about the same time the WuFlu is dying down.

It's going to be hard to beat "the President who saved America."

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Let's assume for a moment; the U.S. doesn't go off the fiscal, social and economic cliff. The long term consequences of civil unrest left unchecked by local authorities. I accept local police departments might lack the number of personnel to tackle rioting and their regular duties. However, I don't regard this in the same light as containing rioting in a single area and making no attempts to make arrests or defend property.

What does the backlash against local law enforcement look like in the coming years? Let's make a brief detour for a moment. In the 1960s, members of the anti-Vietnam War movement burned down ROTC facilities on college campuses. In the present, left-wingers who grumble about the alleged conservative nature of the U.S. Military are intellectually dishonest. Their Vietnam War era forbearers ensured the removal of the ROTC from colleges in coastal "big cities". So to a degree, a self-inflicted wound is on display.

I am returning to the focus of the topic. If there is a moment when the argument against the militarization of law enforcement is lost: We are in the midst of that historical event. Among the latest round of bailouts and peddling to special interests, there is no funding for interagency and law enforcement education and training. Attach the training and education programs to colleges and prepare for contingencies in practical and intellectual terms.

Local law enforcement might become increasingly federalised. Trump is designating ANTIFA as a domestic terrorism organisation is smart politics. But where does this shift leave already under-resourced police departments? Does the FBI or the Department of Homeland Security take over city-level law enforcement bodies?

Trump's detractors are at risk of sparking an armed revolt or civil war. They lack interest in national unity and working towards reducing existing social and economic problems. If Trump doesn't "save" his country than we might witness a grim historical turning point. If John Brown's failed attempt to start a slave uprising sparked the (American) Civil War, then the current unrest might unleash more the looters ever intended.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Mach2

other hand, you don't want a bunch of timid fraidy cats as cops either.

Bottom line, there are good and bad in any profession, or walk of life. Police are often held to a higher standard, which is fine in theory, but in practice, not realistic.

that would make sense only if there was an equal number of detained petty 'white' crimies dying at the same rate from police detention....

so all the officers who shoot blacks in the back or just kill them by asphyxiation are all the bad apples...

statistically our mathematics makes it impossible for every bad apples to only be the ones killing blacks

Sorry to burst your bubble.

So, are you purposely lying or just ignorant?

Statista

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

This has been pointed out in a blog I read that has strong Minnesota ties.

The Minneapolis police department has been dirty for a while. Everyone there knows it. We've known it since before the shooting of Justine Damond which was as egregious as the treatment of George Floyd. It is a systemic problem.

The politicians who run that city run all the time on a platform of reforming the police. People vote for change, and it never happens. The politicians then spend all their time running the police down and decrying their actions, promising change, and it never happens. The important thing to understand is that the politicians are the only people who really can effect change and reform on the department.

They don't do it.

Like so much else in American politics, they have a ready issue in the policing of Minneapolis and its dirty department, and if someone actually does fix it ... well, what do you run on then?

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

If you were running these riots as a feeler for internal rebellion, this would give you a feeler for which of the major cities were ripe to revolt and would be impossible for local authorities to hold.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The backlash has actually been happening for quite some time. I find it interesting that you bring up the War of Northern Aggression, because today's dynamics mirror that period quite well. Some of the issues have changed, but the similarities are striking. The slavery issue, one of the underlying issues although not the major issue for the South as many claim, has been replaced by the immigration issue. Both claim to address human rights; both highlight the differing economic values held by the two sides of the issue, and both are concerned with shifting electoral power. The issue of secession, which during the 1850s was primarily pushed by South Carolina, is now being pushed in the exact same way by California and New York. The idea is based on a state's right to not just secede from the Union, but also that states have the right to nullify Federal law within their boundaries. California and New York are doing just that, along with others, by implementing "sanctuary cities" where they claim to overrule Federal immigration law.

John Brown's failed uprising attempt was not the trigger for that war; the election of Abraham Lincoln was. Power had shifted from the South on one hotbed issue of taxation: the North wanted land taxes based wholly on area, while the South wanted land to be taxed based on value. Each side's position of course benefited themselves. Northern states were more populous with less land, meaning their taxation would be less, while Southern states with more land available were also poorer than the North due to having a smaller population geared to farming rather than industry. It is interesting to note that this difference was also the primary source of dispute over slavery; it was more efficient in the North to free the slaves and then indenture them through employment in larger companies, while in the South farming made it much less practical to do so and much more practical to house slaves to work the massive tracts of land.

Both sides were interested more in practical applications of using available population than in the welfare of that population.

Lincoln was seen as a staunch supporter of Northern policies, and in truth he was. He also held a deep belief that after the war it would be the North's responsibility to rebuild the destruction they inflicted upon the South. When he was assassinated (ironically by a Southerner) that idea died with him; Grant was much less concerned with the South and allowed economic devastation to continue long after the physical devastation of the war ended. Lincoln played fast and loose with war powers, in many ways akin to the "By Any Means Necessary" philosophy that we have seen in some political circles today. His death and the immediate change in policy that accompanied it are evidence of the dangers of that philosophy.

So where does that leave us in the here and now? Pretty much right where we were in 1860. The only difference that matters is that technology has improved; we can now talk to and coordinate with people all across the globe instead of only in the local vicinity. Ideology is no longer tied to a specific geographical region. In my opinion, that increases the danger of the present... at least during the War of Northern Aggression, one could have some faith that their neighbor felt pretty close to the same about major issues. Today, not so much. We are more integrated, and that has so far given us some extra time to work things out... but it can also have dire consequences when and if another war starts.

I have heard it said that California, New York, et. al., do not want war and will not pull the trigger like South Carolina did in 1861. The truth is that South Carolina didn't really want to pull the trigger back then either. They simply wanted Fort Sumter back from the Union. A people may want one thing, but a person may do another.

Now, my hope is that all this winds up being the long-winded failed prediction of a clueless guy in the Internet. I'll be more than happy, more than ecstatic, to say I failed in my attempts at foresight. But from what I am seeing right now... my thinking has shifted from simple disgust at the actions of criminals to strategic planning and preparation.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

One can get that same information statistically. The larger the town, the less able it is to be held. The more progressive the policies, the less able it is to be held. Since those two parameters seem to go hand in hand, the analysis is not really that hard.

Birmingham and Huntsville both have had protests for the last few days. Birmingham, slightly larger but more progressive than Huntsville, had riots last night. Huntsville had protests. I predicted Birmingham would fall first, and now I predict Huntsville will be next.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

We've had trouble here, but last night's crowd started in the thousands, and when the bottle throwing began, the cops declared it an unlawful assembly and asked the crowd to go home. Nearly all of them did, leaving a couple hundred. That size crowd could cause some trouble, but it was mostly manageable by the police backed by the State Troopers.

If the whole crowd of thousands had stayed, there would have been serious trouble. But that crowd wasn't angry enough and not interested.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Agreed, weed out corrupt and nasty cops will do a lot in generating respect for law and order, that blue wall of silence that tends to do the weeding out of good cops or silenced those who joined with good intentions have got to stop, if any of those other cops had simply place a gentle hand on the kneeler killer cop and say, ease up bruh, then it would be just another boring assed Covid weekend of Netflix binge watching.

edit on 1-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join