It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The irony is, if Section 230 were to die, Twitter and Facebook would probably have to ban Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Putting aside the idiocy and blatant hypocrisy of Trump and his followers pushing for government action against a private company and their terms and conditions, that very section (230) they preach for would serve against Trump himself and similar:

As President Donald Trump’s anger at Twitter escalates, his so-called solution, should he really obtain it, would almost certainly blow up in his face.
Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, the part of the law that Trump wants to change, is what’s been protecting him and his social-media posts.

It’s the reason Twitter and Facebook can allow him to tweet whatever he wants, from birther-conspiracy nonsense when he was a private citizen to recent erroneous information about mail-in ballots and voter fraud.

Here’s what Section 230 says: “No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.” (47 U.S.C. § 230.)

That means internet sites that show content created by other people – for example, social-media posts – are not to be considered the publishers of that material.

Source

Do you all think any site would be comfortable enough to allow somebody like Trump to post freely without repercussion or fear of being sued for liability? Trump and his 16,000+ false and misleading statements?

Do you think any online social forum would be safe from libel charges if Trump were allowed to post the same false accusations he threw at the Central Park 5?

30 years ago, five young black men were wrongly convicted of rape – and how the charge against them was led by a real estate mogul who would become president

How about falsely claiming that AOC made the statement that the U.S and it's citizens were garbage?

Or falsely claimed that Sen. Richard Blumenthal said he served in Vietnam in Da Nang Province. Soldiers dying left and right as we battled up the hill?

Falsely claiming that he never once asked that (Megyn Kelly) be removed as a debate moderator?

How about the fact he Falsely claimed that Ted Cruz had a double passport with nothing to show for it?

The guy constantly lies out of his teeth, and yet we'll just all pretend it's nothing and call for the end of social media outlets to be protected under the constitution? People are so far deep in the Trump machine they'd support anything the guy does.

Wake up.
edit on 29-5-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

As an expert in Mudpit posts and an online psychologist, I'm calling this.

Stage 4 TDS.

I'm sorry that everything in your world is about Orange Man Bad.

And that's all the time I am wasting in this thread.

Have a nice day.

+1 more 
posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
So what is your solution to the severe bias of Twitter and FB? They are too powerful and close to monopolies to be allowed to arbitrarily decide who gets to speak and who doesn’t. Are you okay with the blatant censorship since it works in your favor?

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Very transparent Lum. No dispute against his lies, or what Section 230 actually means. Just ad hominem attacks.

Stay classy hey?

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
But Da Nang Dick did lie about serving in Vietnam, he has apologized for it..................................................

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

So what is your solution to the severe bias of Twitter and FB?

Move somewhere else? Start your own social media? Trump's rich, right? He has plenty of support and backers? Should be easy for him to start his own, right?

We've been told for years that's the beauty of freedom and capitalism. Simply 'move' to another State. Simiple 'start' your own. Now all of a sudden the government needs to take action again the private company because Trump had his feelings hurt from being corrected?

You don't see the hypocrisy?

What, are you going to target other monopolies as well? Walmart? Google? Amazon? Comcast?

You're consistent right?

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I hope Twitter bans Trump.

Really.

Do it.

Right now, Twitter.

BAN TRUMP.

Do it.

Dooooooo it.

I dare you.

Do it.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BrennanHuff22

In a companion fact-check, we looked at Trump’s claim that Blumenthal "lied" about his Vietnam service. (Mostly True.) Here, we look at the rest of Trump’s words, the ones about Da Nang and crying.

Trump is wrong that Blumenthal spun heroic war stories, and cried when he was called out for it.

Politifact

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Take note folks. They'll mostly attack the OP. No dispute on the facts. The typical playbook.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

As an expert in Mudpit posts and an online psychologist, I'm calling this.

Stage 4 TDS.

I'm sorry that everything in your world is about Orange Man Bad.

And that's all the time I am wasting in this thread.

Have a nice day.

The TDS is so strong, it is laughable

Doesn't the OP know about the breakup of ATT and other conglomerates who dominated an industry and killed competition and the government came in and broke them up. Guess TDS doesn't include knowing anything about history or the law.

Once social media moves from open platform where the person doing the posting is responsible for the content, to censoring and removing content without a public judgement - to making public judgements about the people doing the speaking. That moves into the realm of being liable if one lies about or damages people with their public judgements and pronouncements about the poster. TDS doesn't include knowing anything about liability when one makes public judgements that can be proven false and made with malice.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
But the government can intervene in a private bakery’s terms and conditions ?

Or can a private bakery refuse service to whoever they want to as well?

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Take note folks. They'll mostly attack the OP. No dispute on the facts. The typical playbook.

Not attacking you, I hope they do ban Trump.

I hope they ban anyone who supports Trump.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I wouldn’t have thought you would support subversion and domination of the political system by corporate entities to be a desireable state of affairs.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Elizabeth Warren needs to be banned because she lied and profited multiple times from her phony Native American fables.

⭕👃⭕

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
In the meantime, we have 50 cities with "protests" and rioting right now !!! 🎯

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I want the gloves to come off.

Ban anyone who doesn't agree with the leftist algorythm.

DO it.

Why even ####ing pretend to be an "open" forum?

Twitter should just wipe out everyone they don't agree with.

Let's just be honest.

They're a private company, they can do it.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Here's a pattern...

Democrats at 10:00am - "Trump lies all the time!"

Democrats at 12:00pm - "Did you hear what Trump said...Outrageous!"

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I want the left to admit that they can't get their message through, they can't get their policies through without silencing the opposition.

Just admit it.

You NEED to silence, you NEED to censor because if free expression was allowed, you'd never get policies passed!!!!

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

They couldn't keep quiet for two whole hours!

C'mon man.

Edit. Just re-read your post.

Leaving my mistake here for giggles.
edit on 2952020 by Tulpa because: Oops

And that one.
edit on 2952020 by Tulpa because: Àaaaaaaaaarrghh

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What if trump bans Twitter?
Then what will he do?

new topics