It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis police arrest CNN team reporting on street closure

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

Read the statement by the department. They claim they were holding them to verify they were media. NOT because they didn't move or whatever you are trying to imply as justification for taking them into custody.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
Be they reporters/looters/rioters.

Reporters report, they aren't law enforcement and shouldn't be attempting to stop rioters since they haven't been trained to do so.

But hey, keep going with your anti-Constitutional nonsense, it's really telling how people defend police behavior in a case that is 100% cut and dry wrong on their part.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
Read the statement by the department. They claim they were holding them to verify they were media. NOT because they didn't move or whatever you are trying to imply as justification for taking them into custody.

Shhhh! Some people need excuses to push their anti-freedom agendas, this one is his.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
So the CNN equpment, logo and so-forth wasn't at least a tip-off to the cops?

Sure. Whatever.

I listened to a cop telling the reporter he had to move back. I had to listen to it over and over, the reporter then states that the cop has to tell him where to go....he did...he said back...nobody moved so they arrested the reporter and the others since they disregarded the orders to move from the police. Back means behind the line, look how they had to run up there and get that guy who came there, they were out in an area where they were no longer allowed to be in. Any idiot would know they had to move behind the police line when they tell you to move back.

I was unaware they arrested people for being stupid like that. If I was the reporter, I would have instructed the crew to move back behind the line of police when told, They hauled off one person from next to them...cops cannot discriminate, legally if they left the reporters there they could not actually arrest the other guy for breaking past where he was supposed to be.

First time I actually listened to the thing, I know the masks they wore muffled the voices, but I could hear something than move back. I have seen guys get slammed against a car and pushed down to the ground and cuffed for not doing what the cop said to do. These reporters got it easy, to get them out of dangers way, they had to arrest them. Hopefully the reporters learned something, of course, the cops responses as to why they took them away will not be heard on CNN

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

TextThere are a lot of people doing independent reporting who then sell their footage to the media, but they are not direct employees of the media, in fact some of them are not even actual media reporters.
a reply to: rickymouse

That's right, some of them are private citizens with cell phones. I carry a Canon DSLR with a long lens with me everywhere I go and I encourage everyone to record anything they see as newsworthy. I focus mainly on documentary video but I do have press credentials from JTA [Jewish Telegraphic Agency]. One of my side hacks... I have been detained by LEOs. but never charged.

And yes I do sell my footage to news agencies that are in charge of distribution. Do you know what a stringer is? I would hazard a guess that 50% of international footage is shot by independent stringers.

careerlancer.net...

edit on 29-5-2020 by olaru12 because: syntax repair

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Shhhh! Some people need excuses to push their anti-freedom agendas, this one is his.

Sorry I'm so lost! We have people armed protesting a capitol for their right to get a haircut, but peaceful protesting before rioting was met with tear gas due to a murder. I'm in the upside down it seems.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Sorry I'm so lost!

No worries, I'm a man so that means I'm good at giving directions: remember, two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Lol thanks I needed a laugh

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

If that is the statement the police made as reasoning then the police F'ed up big time. It would have been different if they were told prior to vacate and refused, but to verify if they were media is "NOT" a valid reason to detain someone. As I stated before, anyone can be media anyone can be a reporter. There are zero state or federal credentials issued that authorize a person or persons to report. Citizen journalists have exactly the same rights as the big corporate journalists.

There was absolutely no reason for the police to suspect they were not journalists. The police violated their rights and that is a fact.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Lol, whatever. How would you go about clearing out rioters destroying private property, property/buisnesses that had nothing to do with the original cause.

I think clearing the area is best way. No matter who thinks they have the right to be there.

CNN could have reported on the situation from anywhere and could have sent one of the drones in for camera footage.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
CNN could have reported on the situation from anywhere...

Could have, but don't have to because, wait for it comrade, the Constitution of the United States of America.

I know authoritarians don't like that document but you're going to have to deal with it.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Just like that reporter has to deal with being arrested yeah? I'm all for the constitution always have been. But in a situation like this the reporters knew what they were getting into and now they are paying for it.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

There was absolutely no reason for the police to suspect they were not journalists. The police violated their rights and that is a fact.

The police don't even try to hide their racism.

In contrast, another of CNN’s correspondents, Josh Campbell, who is white, was reporting about a block away from Jimenez. He said police were “polite” when they approached him to ask him which outlet he was with, and they told him: “OK, you’re good.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I totally agree. My point was that you cannot try to justify why they were arrested by saying they were told to move and didn't.
edit on 29-5-2020 by frogs453 because: ummm

edit on 29-5-2020 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

TextThere are a lot of people doing independent reporting who then sell their footage to the media, but they are not direct employees of the media, in fact some of them are not even actual media reporters.
a reply to: rickymouse

That's right, some of them are private citizens with cell phones. I carry a Canon DSLR with a long lens with me everywhere I go and I encourage everyone to record anything they see as newsworthy. I focus mainly on documentary video but I do have press credentials from JTA [Jewish Telegraphic Agency]. One of my side hacks... I have been detained by LEOs. but never charged.

And yes I do sell my footage to news agencies that are in charge of distribution. Do you know what a stringer is? I would hazard a guess that 50% of international footage is shot by independent stringers.

careerlancer.net...

If you get questioned, you must show credentials right? Could you use a computer to make up fake authentic appearing credentials? Heck, you can probably buy or make fake LEO credentials these days. Is there a special number on your credentials that the police can phone in to verify?

I really do not think the cops hauling those guys out of there was abnormal in a case like this.

edit on 29-5-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

CNN pointed out that they didn't arrest the white CNN guy, damn you white privilege.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
They weren't even in some riot or something, just quietly and from a distance reporting on the arrival of the state police and street closure

This seems like a very bad move.
You want a revolution? thats how you start a revolution you dolts!

This goes beyond sensitivity training. what is going on over there?

Fake news, this was planned. Notice how the LEOs wait patiently for the reporter to make his long statement? That would not have happened it he was being arrested "for real". Also notice, where are any other "protestors"? Was the crew ordered to leave the area and declined? This smells of a total CNN fake news "setup".

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

If that is the statement the police made as reasoning then the police F'ed up big time. It would have been different if they were told prior to vacate and refused, but to verify if they were media is "NOT" a valid reason to detain someone. As I stated before, anyone can be media anyone can be a reporter. There are zero state or federal credentials issued that authorize a person or persons to report. Citizen journalists have exactly the same rights as the big corporate journalists.

If every person with a camera and cell phone is a "reporter/journalist", then the LEOs couldn't "constitutionally" clear the area because of the 1st Amendment.....according to you, lol
edit on 29-5-2020 by panoz77 because: added word

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Also notice, where are any other "protestors"?

Do you mean like the one in pink trousers that was being apprehended ?

his smells of a total CNN fake news "setup".

Using fake cops as well ? I am sure they played their part for a small fee.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: panoz77

Also notice, where are any other "protestors"?

Do you mean like the one in pink trousers that was being apprehended ?

his smells of a total CNN fake news "setup".

Using fake cops as well ? I am sure they played their part for a small fee.

The LEOs told the reporter, "they we just following orders".

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join