It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why the hatred of shotguns?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
so im trying to sell my mossberg to get money for a more expensive shotgun.

everyone i mention it to is like "nope, no shotguns", or "im not a shotgun guy" or something like that. the tone of their voice makes it sound like shotguns are beneath them or something.

since i love shotguns, i just cant figure this attitude out. imho the shotgun should be the one gun anyone that owns a gun should have. it is by far the most versatile of hole punchers.

need a rabbit? try this #4 shell. need a bear? try this sabot shell. need a man? try this buckshot. need that door taken out? yep, gotta shell for that, too.

so has anyone else come across or can explain why people look down on shotguns?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I like shotguns, they are great for hunting and also for protection if someone breaks in. I think a number 4 shotgun shell with a full choke is best for intruders in your home myself. Seeing the damage that can do makes me think it is a good close range choice for protection.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

Way too many gun snobs in the community. Can't stand 'em. I used to work at a range and they were painful.

Luckily there were a lot more regular folks who simply enjoyed shooting. I did not see any shotgun-hate myself.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'll buy it for 40 bucks.. deal?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
What model Mossberg is it? I'm partial to 500 Cruisers, but I would like to find another 500 ATP. 590s are OK, too.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Well I'm a Remington man myself. But I personally never spoke with anyone poopooing shotguns in general. As you stated, they are quite versatile.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Love shotguns. I'd buy your mossy in a heartbeat for a fair price.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

its the 535 camo with two barrels. pump. $300.

i cant afford to have a gun for every occasion and fashion choice (hand me the glock, it goes with this shirt), so i have to get one gun to do as many things as possible.

had a .30-06, great gun, but way too much power for where i live and what my day to day needs would be (sold it for the new shotgun fund). so i have a 9 mil, a .22, an air rifle, and the shotgun. figured that covers all the bases.

the gun im want is a bullpup, semi-auto shotgun. more ammo, same size barrel for accuracy, compact for home defense. the pump would be more reliable, but i figured id get silly and go mag.
edit on 28-5-2020 by stormson because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

perhaps it was just the people i was speaking with.

many were "macho" redneck types (not really country, but country adjacent).

glock (for the name), ar (closest to m16, m4, they never served) type guys.

unfortunately, guns really are a subculture. more guns are sold, but less people are buying.

i hesitate to call them superficial gun owners, but they seem that way sometimes.

edit on 28-5-2020 by stormson because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I’m pretty partial to an over/under myself because I can reload faster than with a pump. And while that sound of the action is like a rattlesnake, a sound that puts immediate fear and complete attention in a person up to no good, I really like the far more quiet fwomp of dropping in two shells and closing the break. Makes that first blast enough to make others wet themselves.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

very true! and very intimidating looking down the barrels of one. just two big ol pipes filled with death.

i could just never get the feel for the double, side by side or over/under. tried both skeet shooting and was horrible. my buddy was great at them tho. even tho the aim change is minute, i always over corrected.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Mine is not much longer than a coach gun. There is no real difference in aim point and you really don’t want to shoot skeet with it...

It was maybe $120-$140 price range. It’ll probably knock a tree branch out from under a squirrel though.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

cant beat that price range for a buck.

why not skeet shooting?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson
so im trying to sell my mossberg to get money for a more expensive shotgun.

everyone i mention it to is like "nope, no shotguns", or "im not a shotgun guy" or something like that. the tone of their voice makes it sound like shotguns are beneath them or something.

so has anyone else come across or can explain why people look down on shotguns?

That is kinda odd... does nobody in your community shoot birds?

And I guess we shouldn't go into the home security part of it...

In my Mossberg the first 2 shells are deer slugs, the next 6 are #4 buck.

Perfectly fine for bear, cougar or an occasional human pest.

What's not to like about that?

~puzzled~

edit on 28-5-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I bought a Remmington 12 gauge pump recently. Shotguns are very versatile. I've got shells for everything from squirrels and rabbits to turkey and deer to bear and intruders. Even found hollow point slug shells for anything double ought can't bring down. If you can only afford one long gun it's a good choice.

Maybe people are snobs towards them because they think of shotguns as 'redneck", but I was born country and I don't care what they think.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Heck, this one works for me....

stdgun.com...

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
In a serious fight in a urban setting.

I take a shotgun over any other weapon .

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Don't worry man. Whoever you were trying to sell your shotgun to were probably just idiots.

I don't trust anyone who says they are into firearms and then says they don't like shotguns.

That's just stupid.

Shotguns are one of the best firearms to own.

I may be a little biased because shotguns are my favorite, but damn.. I actually do laugh at people when I hear them say they aren't shotgun people.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 03:31 AM
link   

If you were my neighbor, I'd buy it even though I'm not a Mossberg fanboy. I love shotguns and I love my antique Stevens 16 gauge cannon. Man, does that thing kick and for a smaller gauge it's about as loud as I've ever heard.

Shotguns are in fact the most versatile of weapons, able to use a wide variety of loads from small game to sabots. What's not to like?

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 04:38 AM
link   
No lack of shotgun love around here, I think I've got about a dozen of them (maybe more, I never counted). Love shotguns! Doubles (O/U, SxS), pumps, semis, short ones, long ones, heck you name it. Winchesters, Browning's, Benelli's, Remington's, Mossberg's, Stoegers, etc. Wing guns, trap guns, skeet guns, etc. Last time I went pheasant hunting I took an old SxS "hardware store" shotgun I have. It's a LeFever Nitro Special 12 ga, manufactured in 1927. They called them 'hardware store' guns because they were sold in many hardware stores back in the day. Of all the guys hunting that weekend, I had the coolest scatter gun out there. And my trusty hunting dog loved it because it dropped everything I pointed it at.

One night my wife and I loaded up 1,000 shotgun shells (not on a progressive press either!)...in one night! I was shooting about 400 rounds a week then (Trap).

Shotguns? Yeah, love 'em! I love all firearms, but shotguns have a special sweet spot in my heart.

Most of mine are 12's, but I do have a couple 20's I picked up over the years.

No shame in a shotgun what so ever!

Damn Straight!

ETA - Anyone who was talking down a shotgun was probably just doing so to get you to lower your price!
edit on 5/29/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join