It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs social media executive order

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order aimed at the major social media platforms, denouncing the tech behemoths as “tantamount to a monopoly.” The order may alter Section 230, which protects them from litigation.

the president added that US Attorney General William Barr will also be tasked with working with states to enforce legal restrictions on social media firms.

Source

YES! This is awesome!
Big tech firms and social media giants have been allowed for far too long to get away with blatant political discrimination and censorship, towards both their users and their employees!
This is the USA, not communist China or North Korea, and these companies better remember that!

+22 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Remember when Dear Leader Obama singled out FOX and unfairly targeted them? Yeah? Now it's President Karen's turn.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What is attorney general Barr saying in this brief statement about the executive order? It sounds muffled on my cell phone.

twitter.com...

+3 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

In 2018 Senate Democrats ripped the CEO of Twitter in public hearings. They were so angry at him.

+4 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The order may alter Section 230, which protects them from litigation.

I fail to see the point. If Twitter becomes liable for the content of 3rd party posts, they're going to censure even more. They're going to have censure President Trump, if they could be held liable for his tweets.

+38 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm sick of YT taking down content, it's why a lot are moving to Minds, Bitchute etc with Patreon accounts. In determining who YT is targeting, the gaming community has been hit hard. The baseline for me is when MSM went after pewdiepie as a #in Nazi - unbelievable.

and fluck google too, they need to be bought into line (looks at China).

+32 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
When these so called platforms discriminate against certain
political leanings and perform "fact checks" they are acting
as a publisher and need to be held accountable.

This is good news!

+17 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

This is the USA, not communist China or North Korea, and these companies better remember that!

This is 2020 not the 1950's , mccarthyist witch hunts with no base in reality have no place in a functioning Democracy , the road to dictatorship is a slippery one.

Twitter did nothing but fact check his claim and Trump flipped his lid , government control or influence over freedom of expression on the internet is a bad thing and nothing to be celebrated.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Remember when Dear Leader Obama singled out FOX and unfairly targeted them? Yeah? Now it's President Karen's turn.

Come on man, they would never exploit this.

Plus if we don't stop this now it will only get worse and the democrats will give full control of the internet to the deepstate ISP such as comcast , verizon, and att so they can decide what website you can visit .

+14 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
And people are applauding the POTUS trying to gain control over the media? What the hell?

I get the media is biased and sucks. But Twitter didn't even censor Trump, you can still see all of his words. He's just being an angry baby.

+18 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Your ignoring all of the tweets that are removed and shadow
banned etc for simply being on the opposite side of
twitters leftist agenda.

Normal people, ordinary posts often removed due to
the simple fact that they challenge the Democrat agenda.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
He signed an EO that "MAY" lead to chages, it doesn't actually change anything.

I keep waiting for examples of how Trump was censored on the two Tweets in question.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Good. If they're gonna censor one side then they need to be equal opportunists.

+21 more 
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
I fail to see the point. If Twitter becomes liable for the content of 3rd party posts, they're going to censure even more. They're going to have censure President Trump, if they could be held liable for his tweets.

No, I think it would force them to NOT censor, and only remove content that's illegal. Taking the action of deciding what content gets to be posted or not turns them into a publisher rather than a service or something like that, and therefore makes them responsible for the content. So in other words, unless they want to be liable for what gets posted, don't censor what gets posted unless it's illegal.
edit on 5/28/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

link   
DO I get to do my victory lap now or later

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-5-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It is an interesting point that he kicked to action once he was finally censored.

How long has censorship been going on for?
edit on 28-5-2020 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

The order may alter Section 230, which protects them from litigation.

Well they can "censure" all they like.

It's the censorship that is the issue here.

+1 more 
posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

It is an interesting point that he kicked to action once HE was finally censored.

How was he censored ?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

It is an interesting point that he kicked to action once HE was finally censored.

Show me where in those two Tweets he was censored?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is nonsense.
Trump is powerless to enforce any executive order he writes to restrict Twitter.
The route for change is Congress, not the Executive Branch.
Having read Section 230 again recently the language is pretty clear. It mentions nothing about bias. It just says that online platforms can not be held accountable for the content the users upload.

No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider

Be very careful what you cheer on here. If Trump gets his way then censorship will explode on the internet - especially with outrage culture in America. The slightest misspeak could bring lawsuits.

Whilst I don;t agree with Twitter's bias, they are allowed to be biased. They are allowed to influence elections.
If they turn off enough people then they will lose audience - that's a free market choice.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join