It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inconvenient Truth About The Party Of Racism - Democrats

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Who embraces identity politics?

It's only about skin color or gender.

Identity politics is politically correct sexism and racism.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Between 1968 and 1978, the racist Dixiecrats became Republicans ala Lee Atwater, which then combined with the war-hawks and the Moral Majority in Reagan’s Big Tent with a moderate amount of 1980s Greed is Good business types has created the mishmash whipped together by that is today’s Republican Party.

The Democrats today? A tattered loosely allied group of identity factions that want to be nicer than they are.

So you don't think democrats are racist?

I think everyone is racist. More exactly, I think we’re all afflicted by primate xenophobia.

You like to speak in generalities, so, you don’t think Republicans are racist?

No. I think people are prejudiced. You're using "racist" out of context. What we experience every day is prejudice. Racism is so far faded that it's almost dead and has been since the 90's.

Prejudice - preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

We're also bigots, every one of us.

Bigot - a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think everyone is racist

100%!

No, Jag... You're killing me.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Wow! What an experience... I grew up to 2 very Conservative parents in the 80's, in Louisiana, and half of my buddies at my small hicktown school were black. The whole town was red, as were the surrounding towns and never did anything like that occur. The only incident I can remember was later in the 90's when I was in high school and we were discussing slavery in my American History class. There was a black guy named Charles that got so pissed off he stood up and started threatening to hurt all the white people. Thinking back, it's no wonder he had a full head of grey hair in high school. The guy was so angry that he must have stayed stressed all the time.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Thank you Blaine. You describe a major flaw with in the recently historical Democrat Party. I too was raised in a democrat stronghold. The SF Bay Area. I recall as a child a girl my age named Obrien. I had a crush on her because she was Irish and many in my family were Obriens. She was my first crush.

One day I came to school and she ran up to me almost frantic. Terry, Terry she blurted. We have one we have one. ''One what I asked''. She said, ''we have a (n)''. I did not know what that was but decided to hate the (n) too. Because she was Judy. But then in class I saw a new student, Keith, and I knew then what she had been talking about. I don't think I ever talked to her again. I was crushed.

There were three of us guys then in fifth grade who were taller than most and also in charge of the audio visual equipment at the school so we were on the ''inside''. Plus we three controlled the tether ball courts. We three accepted Keith into our midst and remained close thought out high school.

Even as a youth, being of a more liberal nature due to my parents I had a hard time with how the Democrat Party was not more critical of it's racist members. My father for example. He had been raised racist in the jungles of Brooklyn. In the war he fought alongside black soldiers and managed to raise himself above his racist upbringing. Though he still had those tendencies down in his heart, his early training, he managed to raise us to be free of that programming. Thanks dad.

But the Democrat Party has always seemed to believe that they needed to compromise with racism. So while they Championed King, they still allowed alliances with racism in their own party, labor unionists being a solid example.

It's an ugly history, much like in a way how the US operated Project Paperclip. Using and accepting Nazi's into our country because they would help with our rocket sciences. So to did the Democrat party quietly utilize the power base that racists provided.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

It's the article you praised bigsnowman for posting.

All I know is that I see way more prejudice coming from democrats than I do coming from republicans.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I was blessed to have the parents I had.

It is unfair to try to link it to modern Democrats now. It is important they do remember their real history however.

I'm equally sickened by both parties these days and deeply troubled by the wholesale use of the term "racist" in politics. I won't have anything to do with either party now.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So basically, what our experiences tell us is that everything we think of the other guy (other than what we're told on the television) is all preconceived notion. Y'all from the west coast, me from the deep south, and I experienced less racism than both of y'all. But according to the preconceived notion we see and hear on the TV and internet all day, I should have experienced the most racism.

This has been a good conversation.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Our experiences mold us.

I suspect with my parents it was my father working with Blacks building ships during WW2 and my mother working for the railroad with Blacks during the war that made them colorblind. I know they thought it was very important I understood how ugly racism is.

We are the sum total of our experiences.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I will continue to vote according to policy.

I really liked Jim Webb, but when he said "All Lives Matter" after he was asked what mattered more between black lives and all lives, he didn't see the 2nd primary debate. That's what I have a problem with. And I didn't like most of the republicans running either. I was down to Trump, Carson, and I would have voted for Cruz, but none of the others.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

What's sad is the way so many people have been manipulated. One of my best friends in high school was a black guy and I'd pick him up for school all the time and we'd hang out after school, never once did the subject of race ever come up, or politics, or anything like that. We're friends on FB but almost every single post he makes involves something about how racist white people are, and he's married to the same white girl he dated all through high school. Really disheartening to see him fall by the wayside like that.
edit on 28-5-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018Actually I didn't read that article. I was thanking Big for trying to correct our OP on his mistaken interpretaion of parties representation at the time of the Civil War. So I guess there was a lot to disagree with in that article as you are not the first to hold me to account on it.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I don't disagree with you there. I suppose it could be that you may be white and hence did not experience first hand the utter disgusting examples of racism in the south. All was pretty much hunky dorry as far as you knew.

I however heard those stories of hangings and brutal beatings and institutional racism in the south but had to experience a more subtle racism within my own culture because where I lived all was ''hunky dorry'' and we in the north didn't have racism. Yeah how wrong that was.

In my town in the fifties on the east side of the bay in post war sububurbs we often had to transport our own garbage out to the land fill in the bay. Between our suburban town and the dumps was a small community that had at one time been a real town. Wooden sidewalks and ramshakle buildings. That was Russel City, constantly suffering from the smell from the land fill. Russel City was the ghetto of our county where only black people lived. That was our segregation. We also had Kelly Hill, an unincorporated area between our town and the next that was primarily a black community.

Slowly over the end of the fifties and into the sixties Russel City disappear as land developers edged out it's residents and Kelly Hill slowly integrated with poor white people moving in So yeah, racism in Northern California. Ugly stuff.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   

An interesting thing about my father. Though he had managed to accept, at least in his mind, the equality of blacks and whites he somehow had not managed to make that hurtle with hispanics. I was shocked in my later teens to find his racism towards them. And decades later when my little sister told him she was engaged to a Japanese man, he, having fought against them in the war, spiraled into a depression that took him days to climb out of. He did though and again gave me cause to appreciate him as a good man.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: JBurns

Taco bell made darn good steak fajitas in the 1980's, now they suck.
Things change, yes even within political parties.

Oh, sure. Even the accepted definitions of what is "liberal" and "conservative" have essentially reversed from that they used to be. It used to be that a "liberal" was someone who believed in a liberal (flexible) interpretation of the Constitution. "Conservatives" wanted the Constitution to be followed to the letter with no fudging or special dispensations allowed.

These days "liberal" means socially liberal, with more emphasis placed on allowing individuals to maintain their own rights and have ultimate power over what happens with their own bodies. "Conservatives" want more social homogeneity and adherence to what they perceive as appropriate social norms and values.

The thing is, though, even though people have sharp disagreements about how a person should conduct themselves in a society when it comes to expressing one's faith or culture or sexuality, the government was never really set up to enforce social norms except for those defined by law. And attempts at regulating non-criminal behavior by making it criminal -- like with Prohibition -- have usually failed miserably. Why? Because along with everything else, we still have very different opinions about how much control we should have over our fellow citizens' private lives.

As for racism, 9 times out of 10 it's not about race but about money. Proof? The more money a person has (Kanye West, Michael Jordan) the less people care about what color they are.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

the current Dem candidate is planing on picking his VP based on gender and race, not on content of character or ability.

Paint with any brush you like, that is the very definition of racist.

A guy had a dream, and that wasn't it, in fact, it was the opposite. Or is that wrong?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

the current Dem candidate is planing on picking his VP based on gender and race, not on content of character or ability.

You make it sound like those are the only criteria in the decision. It's unlikely that he'll just pick some random black or Asian woman off the street to make them the VP choice. Come on. They'll likely be literate, probably a lawyer, probably quite well off. You see the pattern here?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: chr0naut

So, you are saying that there are no racists in the Republican Party?

Of course there are racists in the Republican Party. There are racists among all groups, including the Democrats. Many among the Democrats in my age group, who never got beyond the hugely racist Democrats of my time. I lived through it, so no amount of revising history and trying to deny it will change that.

I grew up in a small town, mostly union workers and racism was the norm in the unions. Nearly all Democrats.

I had the good fortune to be the son of parents, both Democrats and both strong union, that took me aside starting as a young child and taught how wrong their fellow Democrats were. I was surrounded by in your face racism, even down to the level of kids using...
" Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch a n***er by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe."
...to select who went first in kids games, even in school. My parents were sickened by it, and it was that little diddy they first had a talk with me about. As I got older they reinforced it, teaching me to be color-blind. Most of the kids did not have that luxury as their Democrat parents were hardcore racists themselves.

Now I see constant attempts to rewrite that recent history. Sadly younger people actually think that the revised history is real. Tell a lie often enough and people believe it. Once we are gone, modern Democrats will grow up with completely revised history.

How about we acknowledge that racism is wrong and in fact evil, whether its Whites hating Blacks or Blacks hating Whites. It's all rooted in the same kind of hate.

Democrats, instead of being in denial, why not instead embrace your dark history as a lesson of how wrong it was.

One of the strongest lessons I learned was when the first Black family attempted to move into our town.

One day my father took me aside and told me he needed a favor. He told me he had a new supervisor at work and he and his family had just bought a house a few blocks away. They were Black. He asked me to make it a point to get to know their kids and make them feel welcome and play with them. Did I mention my father was a man ahead of his time.

The following Sunday, the leader of our church got up and announced that the former owners of the house had sold out the town by selling the house to a family of (insert censored word here). Our church leader was a local leader in the Democratic Party and he worked at the same plant as my father.

The next week I decided to do as my father had asked and walked over to the new families house, only to find broken windows and an empty house. I told my father and he practically wept. He never showed emmotions, but did that day.

A few days later I had to go to our church leaders house for a meeting about setting up a church dance. His children were talking about how their father had sent them over to those peoples house to throw rocks through the windows.

This was not in the South, it was in the West. We did not have a KKK around, but we did have the Democrats and the unions, which were almost the same thing growing up.

No sense in denying that history. It is what it is. George Wallace was like an icon to most Democrats who could not praise him enough. They did not like that upstart President Kennedy though.

Wow, your dad was a seriously great guy!

But I wasn't denying that there are racist Democrats.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Wow, your dad was a seriously great guy!

But I wasn't denying that there are racist Democrats.

Yes he was, I was blessed to have a forward thinking father and mother. My father was born in 1913, lost 6 of ten siblings to the Spanish Flu, lived through the Great Depression and WW2. Started his life on horseback in the middle of nowhere on a ranch and saw the first man land on the Moon. Was a leader helping form the first union in the coal mine he worked in as a young man. I think of him often.

I could have worded that better and I know you were not denying anything.

We all have to get past this sick nonsense of calling everything and everyone racist. It has become a Democratic Party standard to imply anyone not with them is racist. I don't think that can be denied. It's got to stop.
edit on 5/28/2020 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: network dude

You make it sound like those are the only criteria in the decision. It's unlikely that he'll just pick some random black or Asian woman off the street to make them the VP choice. Come on. They'll likely be literate, probably a lawyer, probably quite well off. You see the pattern here?

I see so many others who might be a better choice ignored for social justice points. And when it comes to Joe Biden's running mate, even he thinks that person will get some seat time. I just feel that job should go to the best, not the best black girl. I'm baffled that anyone would feel differently on that. It's factually correct.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join