It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis Use of force laws....5-311

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
So has anyone else seen this?

Use of proper force includes using a leg on the side of someone’s neck.

It goes on to say as long as the person is not passively resisting.

That would be up to the judge and it would be close, but the way I read the law. The cop could use a knee on the neck.

www.minneapolismn.gov...

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Its been used for a long, long time...and if I recall correctly this isnt the first time someone has died from it. Im not a LEO, so excuse my ignorance...but things need to change a bit. Some new tactics, or new tech along with better people. To me this isnt a race thing, its a powertrip kind of thing.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Just because you're allowed to do something, does it make it right? If that guy was clearly incapacitated and didn't require that leg to remain on his kneck, or any part of his party that may potentially obstruct his breathing, why continue doing it?

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

That would be up to the judge and it would be close, but the way I read the law. The cop could use a knee on the neck.

www.minneapolismn.gov...

Why would you put your knee on someone who is not passively resisting?

a part of the video I saw, was that the man was not resisting anyway, your not making sense...and where is the video.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

5-301.01 POLICY (10/16/02) (08/17/07)

Based on the Fourth Amendment’s “reasonableness” standard, sworn MPD employees shall only use the amount of force that is objectively reasonable in light of the facts and circumstances known to that employee at the time force is used. The force used shall be consistent with current MPD training.

From your link...The force and tactics used were uncalled for and will result in a plea deal which will result in riots worse than tonight. The 3 other officers involved will be charged as well.
This is appalling and the outage is understandable...however unfortunate.
What was that cop thinking? Disgusting to see.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think there are much more important issues needing addressed than an excessive force event during an arrest.

abc7chicago.com...

www.thedailybeast.com...

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
In my youth I had a cop do that to me. Except he put his knee in between the base of my head and the top of my shoulders. It’s a pressure point and hurt like hell .,

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   
"will result in riots worse than tonight"

Yeah? And guess what, those that perpetrate that crap should be arrested and prosecuted as well. I wouldn't condemn an owner for shooting a person/people destroying and looting their property.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I think there are much more important issues needing addressed than an excessive force event during an arrest.

abc7chicago.com...

www.thedailybeast.com...

Hold on there,
Are you personifying cruelty, this is about a person in custody..that person died, that's a police responsibility, and so far there is nothing justified in the video I have seen for someone kneading their knee into someone else's neck.
So you want to use shootings, horrible as they are, as some kind of rationale for what the police did here? Not good enough mate, your making yourself a rascist.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

When ARE kids being shot newsworthy? When its a white male shooter?

Some people just cant help but be fools and play the game.
edit on 27-5-2020 by BoscoMoney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Put this incident together with the cop who shot the Australian gal, and it looks like you need to have a serious house cleaning at Minneapolis PD.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I'm a racist?
Right...

The man died while the police were restraining him after he committed a crime.
Bummer.
The restraining method is linked above and is an approved method.

The shootings I linked are not there to justify what happened to this man. They do how however point out the ease at which people will ignore the elephant in the room.

Now let's address the real problem in the black community. They are doing a much better job of killing each other than the cops. Chicago averages over 500 deaths every year but that doesn't get the local target store looted.

Do you truly believe the people looting the liquor stores or the local target store are demanding justice?
Or do they just want beer and 4k televisions?

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't forget their Christmas tree...

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No justice, No Christmas tree!

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Watching two different videos on the arrest, it appears that the officer withe knee on neck was not part of the sidewalk arrest shown in 2nd video. How and when was the second car called and the third officer got involved. There are a lot of questions in the death.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

www.minneapolismn.gov...

Have you ever been in law enforcement? military? anything where you would have to do something like this? I'm guessing not. It's called common sense, not, "Well the book says I can do it, so Im going to do it? You apply these techniques if the situation is called for. You use a technique like this until the person stops resisting, then when they stop you take your knee off. You don't just keep it there after the fact in case he starts resisting again. A knee against the throat has it's place just like any other pain compliance technique, but they aren't meant to torture people to death... The cop knew damn well what was going on when he was doing this, theres no way he didn't. It doesn't take long for a knee to be on someone's throat for them to calm down quick. You have to be able to adapt to the situation at hand, and use other techniques to ensure your safety and the safety of the person in custody. So, to answer your thread, yeah, the cop can use a knee to the throat but within reason, he/she has to be able to discern the circumstances of their actions on a person in custody, and adjust accordingly. So please don't come here with a thread saying, "it's legal to do" When there is more to it than just being a legal pain compliance technique... That was plain and simple abuse of power from the cop, nothing more...

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

It’s not close at all. Keeping your knee and body weight on somebody’s neck when they’re completely limp for four minutes does not, in any way, fall under the objectively reasonable standard to overcome resistance.

That’s akin to claiming that because the subject threw a punch, the officer can argue that he’s justified in whaling on the subject for four minutes after the subject was in handcuffs because policy says he can throw strikes.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yes, its a control technique. It physically prevents the body from movement, IE you cant get off the ground, throw a punch, etc. Usually they put a knee on the head though, not the neck for obvious reasons. Head pinning is safer for all involved.

top topics

join