It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Gas prices are better for Americans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

The reserves are full.
So you need to figure out new jobs until they aren't.
It kinda goes with the biz.

If you want cheap gas, get the politicians grubby tax fingers out of the picture.

"I don't know what we can do, besides take half your income!"
-every politician ever
The whole tax system is a rigged scam.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Bluntone22

That has many oil field workers on furlough.

So which is better?
pain/ job loss for a few
benefit for many

Given that Alberta is based heavily on the oil industry, this province is screwed. Especially since the eastern provinces expect their cut of oil profits. So many people in the oil patch here in town are out of work with no end in sight for them. How long are the governments going to continue to hand out unemployment for those in such a difficult position? Can't work in the oil field, and many places are closed up and not hiring right now. I'd rather have our economy back to rights. Low gas prices are nice, but I prefer to see our town keep running.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

The reserves are full.

And called 'reserves' for a reason.

After 30-150 days when it's all used, then what?

edit on 27-5-2020 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JAGStorm

What most of these fine folks don't understand is... Low prices mean no more oil industry jobs

Hopefully that leads to more solar and wind energy producing jobs.
Hopefully that leads to new innovations in vehicle tech and robotics.

Moving away from oil will not be the end of our society. It's just change.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Yeah..a month of reserves?...no

When they get close then the work starts again.
Just like it should in reality and every other market.

Added...get it tf out of the stock market and remove the taxes for starters.
edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Where are these cheap gas prices? The gas prices where I'm at are pretty much the same as always. Even driving back from Virginia the past weekend they were about the same as always.

Are there really places that are selling gas for under a dollar a gallon?

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   

We have capacity for 800 million barrels in reserve. We consume on average 20 million barrels per day. The stockpile can only pump over 4 million barrels per day, so the stockpile will last around 6 months, but there would be severe shortages nationwide, and several areas would indeed be out of gas, literally.

We don't have a long-term solution if we abandon our own industry. Just like manufacturing did, it will leave and the cost to restart production will just lead to another cut to force the US back out of the oil business, then boom up again. We made the mistake with domestic manufacturing in this country, lets not outsource more homeland manufacturing capabilities.

ETA - I'm 100% for cutting taxes on gas, as for stock market oil in general is used in about 90% of all products used in life, so it's not like all oil becomes gas. I'm ok with it being a traded commodity.
edit on 27-5-2020 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
Where are these cheap gas prices? The gas prices where I'm at are pretty much the same as always. Even driving back from Virginia the past weekend they were about the same as always.

Are there really places that are selling gas for under a dollar a gallon?

Yes it was 99 cents here for a week. Then a little over a dollar, now it is around 2 and creeping higher every day.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My guess then is that it wasn't nation wide then. Gas prices in Tennessee seems to trend like they have. I didn't see any significant dip in prices.

Maybe some other Tennesseeans can drop in and say whether or not their areas saw lower gas prices.

What I'm wondering is why some places saw crazy low prices that haven't been seen in decades, but other places seemed unaffected.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

That is a good question. Last 99 cent gas I saw was in the south in 1993

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Given that Alberta is based heavily on the oil industry, this province is screwed. Especially since the eastern provinces expect their cut of oil profits. So many people in the oil patch here in town are out of work with no end in sight for them. How long are the governments going to continue to hand out unemployment for those in such a difficult position? Can't work in the oil field, and many places are closed up and not hiring right now. I'd rather have our economy back to rights. Low gas prices are nice, but I prefer to see our town keep running.

Well said. I work with a lot of you guys up there. One of our locations is in Alberta (Leduc). I feel the pain of those guys up there. I've been watching the rig count drop every single day and it's really bad right now. I can count the amount of rigs we have active up there on two hands where just a few months ago it was 3 times that and even that was down from what it should be.

Too many people from everywhere else NOT in the oilfield are being laid off - no way in hell is a laid off oil field hand going to get hired on somewhere else.

Odessa Texas was once a booming city with nothing but rig hands and the whole city is collapsing inward. It'll be a ghost town before long.

Scary thought.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Not quite how this works.

Let me try another way.

You can only fill a cup so full before you need another cup, especially if the tap is still running.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It's pretty hilarious to look back at the George Dubya Bush years and watch how the media and Democrats harped on him for gas prices being high. Poor families couldn't afford to go to work!!

Now under Trump gas prices are low, so what's the media's story? Prices are too low gas companies and employees going out of business, can't make enough money to feed their families!

FYI, President has nothing to do with the price of barrels of oil.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Yes it was 99 cents here for a week. Then a little over a dollar, now it is around 2 and creeping higher every day.

In Southern California gas stations are still charging $3.39 a gallon or more for premium. Can you say price gouging?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
FYI, President has nothing to do with the price of barrels of oil.

The President has nothing to do with a surprising number of things people think he does.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join