It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you believe is the root of demonic possession?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Just collecting data and consensus, thanks.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Great topic/question. I had thought about that a few times myself and still cannot come to terms of what the answer could be.
Suppose I'm still in the open-minded phase.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A mental disease, hullucination, a cry for attention.

All probable answers

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I don't really understand the question. The "root"???? Wouldn't that be Satan?

What exactly do you mean?

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad Man Lotar
Just collecting data and consensus, thanks.

The root of demonic posession is selfishness.

That's why Jesus encouraged his follows to pursue a life of selfLESSness.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The self is made of many, Defense mechanism creates alternates for when we need them...when we cannot bear, when you cant stand the pain or just too much stimulus causes one part to shut down and another to take over. Mental illness or misunderstood natural occurances, add in an endless imagination...I believe demonic possesion will be discounted completely once the enigma of the "mind" is understood.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The primary criterion for the diagnosis of DID is the presence of two or more separate selves within the same body, which may have very different ways of acting, thinking and speaking, and may be of different gender identities, ethnicities or sexual orientations. Depending on the severity of the condition, one personality may not recall incidents that happened when another personality was predominant. Generally, one or two personalities assume the role of frontrunner, performing most tasks in the everyday world, although this does not appear to indicate that they are especially more developed or more "real".

MPD or DID is most commonly diagnosed in people who are, typically in recovered memory therapy, found to be the victims of severe repeated trauma (usually child abuse) very early in life. Whether this abuse (often claimed to be religious in character, sometimes satanic ritual abuse) actually happened in the majority of cases or whether false memories were induced by the therapist is subject of much debate. In the recovered-memory movement of the 1980s and 90s, therapists often refused to believe clients who reported childhood abuse incidents which did not include more extreme features. Clients were pushed and prodded to "remember" more brutal and graphic abuse; they were told they'd "never get well" until they did. The movement culminated in a tidal wave of scandal and lawsuits which discredited both recovered memory and multiple personality among clinicians, academics, and the general public.

More: www.brainyencyclopedia.com...

To believe in deomonic posession is to first believe in 'religious' demons, which I do not.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The root, cause and effect is all within one's own mind. As well as the defense mechanism which is to blame anything or anyone for one's own deeds and thoughts.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Selfishness being the root cause.. all greed and vanity flow from love of self and the desire to please the same. In giving one's self over to their desires, they open themself up to posession. When we ignore the impulses of self, we render demonic spirits powerless.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
giving into one of the seven deadly sins.

Or, sin leads to posession to the devil

really depends on your point of veiw, as God? As the person being posses? or another person seeing the possesed?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
In biblical language, when we sin, we are giving ourselves over to our lower natures, i.e. spirits that deceive and damage. I smoke cigerettes.. like a fiend. I allow cigerettes to control me. I consider that to be sin. What do I do when I get paid? Rather than first tithing the Lord's 10%, I swing by the Circle K and buy my next carton of cigerettes. I am weak. I confess it. To me that falls under idolotry.

I should do better.

top topics

join