It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fishing throw net need recommendation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hi folks. I posted this awhile back, but can't find the info you shared with me. I'm looking for a bait fishing throw net. I need it for salt water so its my understanding its got to be nylon also. My price range is up to 40 bucks or 4000 yen ( Need to order it from Amazon Japan ) not sure if I can order it from Amazon America due to its postage cost.

Thanks for any recommendation.

mostly going to use it to get shrimp and small suzuki fish .

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I saw them in Hawaii not sure if they are for sale or it was hand made. They are called Cast nets.

OK here is one Cast net

Just google cast nets. there are tons of them. The one I linked to is available at Walmart.

edit on 5/25/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

I saw them in Hawaii not sure if they are for sale or it was hand made. They are called Cast nets.

OK here is one Cast net

Just google cast nets. there are tons of them. The one I linked to is available at Walmart.

OK, thanks.
I'll have my brother check it out and see if its available. In Japan, one must have a license to use a cast net, but I live out in the countryside so I'll see what happens. We also have the tiger type of shrimp that soon to be coming near shore at the ocean beach. Would like to net a few of them. They are expensive about 4 bucks each. Tasty though.
I remember also seeing the native Hawaiian use the net when I lived there. Was on the north shore area. Amazing how they were netting all colorful fish.

again, thank you

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Yep, for prawns (shrimp) it's got to be nylon. I recall years ago casting next to an older bloke who could throw his net perfectly round every time, he was using monofilament and I was nylon. Seriously, he didn't get a single prawn, I got heaps. I suspect it's something to do with the nylon being a bit rougher than the mono and it snags up on the shell.

The key to the throw is trying to throw too far. It also helps if your stalking skills are not too bad.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the nets with the crazy draw string. Just get a normal pocketed net and be slow and be slow and careful on the retrieve.

Best of luck, it does take a bit of practice and there are a few ways to throw, so don't give up too easily, patience and practice are going to be your friends.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I use a 6 foot casting net to catch bait fish. It is one of my most favorite things to do. Just do a search for "casting net" on amazon and you will find what you need. The bigger the radius the harder it is to cast properly but, you have a greater chance of catching what you want. There are videos on YouTube showing how to throw the net properly that are helpful as well.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   

yep North Shore of Maui Along Lahaina beach down towards Kihei is where I saw them when I lived there. Poeple use them all the times in Florida too.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have that exact Walmart net. Easy to cast. You will get in about 6-7 tries and then be proficient at casting.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I'll go on youtube and watch how to cast. I'll go back on amazon japan and see about casting nets this time. The tiger shrimp in June will be coming ashore so I'm pretty anxious to get to the net and do some practice throwing.

This is the river that has bait shrimp and suzuki fish that I can use the net.

I'll have to find the pictures of the ocean beach. Post later or new post coming up.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I haven't used a throw net in forty five years, I used to use it for getting bait. When I turned sixteen, I made the thrownet into a wall to ceiling decoration, it looked pretty cool. I had stuff hanging on it and stuck through the holes to display them.

Back when I bought that throw net it cost over twenty bucks....that was back in the sixties. But they were made to last thirty years or more. I tossed it out maybe fifteen years ago, it was still in great shape.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I have only ever thrown a monofilament. Caught shrimp, bait, and crabs with them. There a couple of different ways to throw them depending on their size.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The irony!

I took my daughter to the beach for a couple of hours yesterday to catch some prawn for live bait, went fishing last night for the first time in about six years,...

European Sea Bass

That's lunch sorted, wet nets and tight lines!

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
You're in Japan I think? Aren't you concerned about the rads?

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Looks bloody delicious.

a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Just remember when you grip it, there is no harm in using your mouth for a moment to get a good grip before your throw. Nothing better than biting down on wet net.

I have gotten all sorts of cool critters including florida gar which I had to quickly get out the net so it’s doesn’t ruin and bite through the net.

If you are throwing and you feel like you have good form but the net is still folding in on itself you either need to switch hand positions or footing.

Good luck and go fish like jesus.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have been using Cast Nets since I was a kid. My advice to you is always remember to rinse off the net with fresh water after your done for the day. It will last a lot longer. Saltwater will cause a monofilament net to lose its stretch and the netting will become brittle and rip easily. Always rinse it off with fresh water before storing. And good luck!

top topics

join