It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to 60% of the population might have some immunity against COVID-19 .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Everything but a ebola is treatable with medication. We haven’t cleared the common cold either but heard immunity has certainly done a good job with the majority viruses .

Now before we go over this narrative for 10 pages. Read this again from my reply .

Herd immunity is pretty much the way mother nature has dealt with viruses throughout history

Nowhere did I say it’s 100% affective .

Lets stay on my topic please I don’t want to go chasing your’s.
edit on 24-5-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That’s cherry picked information Phage .

“ nordic neighbors “

Do the rest of the countries in the world not count ?

BTW

Herd immunity would show more affect a second wave.

That will be the proof in the pudding.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

The person I replied to specified Norway.

Feel free to provide evidence of pre-existent natural immunity anywhere you wish.

edit on 5/24/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Lets stay on my topic please

Herd immunity hopes are the topic, are they not? Herd immunity doesn't work for many viral diseases. We don't know anything about this virus and herd immunity. There's a lot of evidence of the disease's reoccurrence. There's a lot of evidence of permanent and irreparable organ damage as a result of this disease, Covid19, too.

I hope what you are hoping for is true, but I won't be betting my life on it.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

We haven’t cleared the common cold either but heard immunity has certainly done a good job with the majority viruses .

A coronavirus is basically the common cold. This is why COVID- 19 has been taken very seriously because it's a very infectious version of it that leads to SARS and pneumonia.

It's great we are learning a lot about this virus, but as of right now, it's going to mutate in a last ditch effort to survive, since it's become so wide spread we don't know how or when that will happen. So far it looks like China might be the first to see it mutate, or any other nation that opens up.
Again, as much as this whole situation has caused so much pain and suffering, whether economically, or health wise, I just HOPE we learn from this and perhaps since it's becoming a global effort maybe, just maybe, the common cold can be battled, like influenza.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Feel free to provide evidence of pre-existent natural immunity anywhere you wish.

Straw man and most of all shifting the burden fallacy .

In the OP and I didn’t specify natural immunity .

Herd immunity is also achieved through vaccinations . Which brings us back to my point that starting with 60% of the work being done by your body. It’s a lot easier to come up with a vaccination.? Then when only 5% of the work is being done by your body .

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

OK you win. I don’t know what the topic is or what I said .

Putting words in my mouth seems to be prevalent on this thread.

Edit:

You are right in part my bad . I said coronavirus “might” lead the way to herd immunity .

So is your (you too Phage) position that herd immunity doesn’t and never will exist ? M

P.S or editeded (lol)

I edited “Her” to read as “herd” as intended .

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have two CD4 T cell disorders, Sarcoidosis and HV Castleman's disease

What does this mean to me.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Am I dead if I get Covid-19 or do i have some immunity to Covid 19.

Sarcoidosis is characterized by an exaggerated immune response to blood lymphocyte levels involving CD4 T cells.
edit on 24-5-2020 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I wonder what would make Sweden so special.

Their not, that's the what the discussion is about.

Or maybe it has to do with testing rates.
Sweden's is about half that of the US.

Yes. And they only have 10 million citizens compared to 360 million citizens. So half the testing rate will still ensure they are done sooner, which means their data of confirmed cases to population size is nearer completion. Out of the 33000 confirmed cases their death rate is like 3900. 12% mortality rate. The U.S.'s mortality rate is around 6% when confirmed cases are compared to deaths.

Confirmed cases to poplulation the U.S. is now at 0.4%
Sweden's is at .33%

It shows that even when exposed on a grander scale, so far, the immunity will be pretty much the same whether people wear masks or not.

And other things, like antibody tests. But you didn't read it , did you?

Once I got to the death / confirmed cases, I stopped because it had nothing to do with my post.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This actually makes sense. There were too many reports from the Diamond Princess were one spouse became ill but not the other. The were living in tiny rooms together for nearly a month.

It would also explain the asymptomatic carriers - they have some natural immunity already.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

All this really tells us is that some existing helper T-cells in some people will react to this new (novel) coronavirus.

That's extremely interesting, and I'm glad you posted it. But it really isn't more than "interesting" if it doesn't present anything we can draw conclusions from, and it doesn't.

If they can demonstrate that CD8 cells react to protein spikes common to COVID-19 at a meaningful enough rate, they might be able to boost the immune response or vaccinate using other coronaviruses that have those spikes. They haven't really done that, but it's an encouraging step to notice there are two helper T cell subtypes that seem to be reacting to it despite no previous exposure.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

It would also explain the asymptomatic carriers - they have some natural immunity already.

Asymptomatic carriers are often cited as a reason to doubt the percentage of deaths and to claim that the percentage as far lower than is reported, therefore why all the fuss? So it must be a conspiracy. But the fact is unless you test EVERYONE you have no idea how many asymptomatic carriers there are. It's a guess and the "studies" purporting to solve this are not definitive. Plus you have the false positives and false negatives of the tests, which apparently are not all that reliable.

Nobody disagrees that this thing is super contagious. Get one person infected in a room, like for a choir practice, and nearly everyone gets it. And yes, I realize "exposed to" and "infected by" are two different things. That's why the masks. They aren't for you; they are in case you have it and don't know it. You are not displaying your macho toughness and superior immunity by not wearing one. You are just being a jerk.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Ask yourself why the quoted material in these posts is always from the right-wing "alternative media" source rather than the actual study being quoted.

Fallingdown actually (unlike most) includes the link to the actual paper above as the second link.

The first is ... charitably, horse-pucks.

Targets of T cell responses to SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in
humans with COVID-19 disease and unexposed individuals

Just in case anyone wants to, you know, look at the actual facts.
edit on 24-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The first thing that I do is notice people chiming in who can't differentiate between a T-cell and antibody... I filter down from there...

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
a reply to: Gryphon66

The first thing that I do is notice people chiming in who can't differentiate between a T-cell and antibody... I filter down from there...

Herd immunity is the code-phrase being used in the last few days.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I posted the article from Cell about two or three days ago on a thread. Good....someone made a thread of it's own for it.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

In the OP and I didn’t specify natural immunity .

But that is what the study is about. The possibility that there may be a level of natural immunity present in the population, provided by exposure to other coronaviruses. Did you bother reading it?

Four human coronaviruses are known causes of seasonal ‘common cold’ upper respiratory tract infections: HCoV-OC43, HCoV-HKU1, HCoV-NL63, and HCoV-229E. We tested the SARS-CoV-2 unexposed donors for seroreactivity to HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-NL63 as a representative betacoronavirus and alphacoronavirus, respectively. All donors were IgG seropositive toHCoV-OC43 and HCoV-NL63 RBD, to varying degrees (Fig. 5C), consistent with the endemic nature of these viruses (Gorse et al., 2010; Huang et al., 2020; Severance et al., 2008). We therefore examined whether these represented true pan-coronavirus T cells capable of recognizing SARS-CoV-2 epitopes.

The answer is, they don't know if it can carry effectively over to COVID-19, but it's nice to speculate about it and to devise experiments to determine if it can.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

That is what the study is about. The possibility that an immunity acquired from a previous coronavirus infection (a cold, for example) may provide some protection from COVID-19.

So I'm wondering if the high antibody positives from random sampling that seems to be out there is not from what was going around last year. I got something that gave me a dry cough for 3 months as did a good number of the people that work for me. As flu years seem to go it wasn't a good one, so who knows.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

So half the testing rate will still ensure they are done sooner,

No. It won't. Not unless they increase the number of tests done per day.

2% of the population of Sweden has been tested. 4% of the population of the US has been tested.

It shows that even when exposed on a grander scale, so far, the immunity will be pretty much the same whether people wear masks or not.
As of now 2% of the population has been tested. With 2% tested, there is no way to know what the actual infection rate is. Just as with 4% in the US, there is no way to know how many are actually infected.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

T cells are not antibodies.
www.whatisdifferencebetween.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join