It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toaster Oven

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Seriously. Since I'm almost always cooking for one it so makes my life simple. Easy to clean and useful for almost all of my cooking uses.

Burgers done in twelve minutes, nice and rare and the cleanup is minimal. Not like frying one on the stove and the mess that entails.

I do still have uses for the burners, pasta, eggs, what not.... but I don't use the big oven at all. Why do I need to heat up all that space for one burger?

It's even got a rotisserie that attaches although I've never used that. I've got some large chicken pieces that I'll try with that sometime soon.

I don't have a grill except a cheap indoor one which isn't the same so I have to utilize the indoor stuff I have and I've just fallen in love with the toaster oven. Like Alton Brown says, don't get a tool that only has one use and this has many for me. Gonna do some burgers here in a couple hours with it and I'm quite looking forward to that. Throw some tater tots in with the burger and I've got meat and potatoes.

WOOT!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

What a refreshing post. The premade toaster oven Pizza is ok if you put on some peppers and olives.

I'm not as emotionally attache to mine as you seem to be; But I will morn and give it a proper burial when it dies.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Mmmm, crunchy is what you're saying...toaster oven....get ya some crunch....man....

Making me want some CRUNCH

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Next up: Insta-pot (pressure cooker.) Once you get used to it (no small feat) it is fabulous. Does have a learning curve, at least for me.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

We were given one last Christmas...Didn't think we'd ever use it...Turns out we use it a lot more than we expected...

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Okay Ron Popeil, I'm sold!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Next up: Insta-pot (pressure cooker.) Once you get used to it (no small feat) it is fabulous. Does have a learning curve, at least for me.

Right? Now there's a true wondrous 'set-it-and-forget-it' appliance. Love my insta.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 09:23 PM
link   
An electric oven has a 220 volt burner, meaning when it is running it is turning the meter based on a split wattage, and it is balanced. If unbalanced, a three thousand watt one ten volt toaster oven pulls off of one side, the meter spins the same speed as if both sides are drawing power. That means the 220 volt oven is cheaper to use than a toaster oven for the same amount of heat....like half the overall watts. I guess it is the same way on the new electronic meters, it charges for the highest leg of the meter. So, you could run two toaster ovens for the same price probably if they are on oposite lugs of the fuse box. The stove burners are usually one ten, with two on one side and two on the other, so knowing which two burners to use together when cooking two things can keep your electric bill cheaper, the wrong two increases the electric bill.

The power company does this to basically penalize people for having an unbalanced box, because they have to meet the highest lug demand available, if everyone is on one side, then they have a high amount of energy imbalance in the lines.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Air Fryer ist krieg.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
George Forman Grill all the way baby!

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I eat rare steaks out of the toaster oven but I wouldn't eat a rare hamburger (Though the premade hamburger patties are probably safer than raw ground beef burgers).

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Had one of these, was not the experience, I was promised. Maybe I did something wrong or it was not a good product though.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Are you talking about precooked hamburger patties?

Because if not, both are the same. Raw meat is raw meat. I would rather use fresh ground beef than anything that was inside a container, pre-wolfed / pre-ground.

Have you noticed how watery these grounded meats are when you buy them? Ew.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shibari

Are you talking about precooked hamburger patties?

Because if not, both are the same. Raw meat is raw meat. I would rather use fresh ground beef than anything that was inside a container, pre-wolfed / pre-ground.

Have you noticed how watery these grounded meats are when you buy them? Ew.

Well, I'm just saying I wouldn't eat them rare and raw hamburger is not the same as raw steak. Food safety basics. Rare steak is much safer than rare hamburger.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

What you mean is the difference between raw ground meat and raw non ground meat and yes, raw unground meat is safer.

The simple recipe to circumvent this problem is to wolf or hack your meat when you need it. But that either takes a sharp knife or a meat grinder, many do not have both in their household.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
But..but… this post is about toaster ovens, not raw beef safety!

Back on topic...OP, just remember one thing...Never, and I mean NEVER, try to do taco shells in a toaster oven!! There's even a warning on many taco shell boxes about this very thing. I disregarded the warning once, thinking it was like one of those stupid "Don't iron garment while wearing" warnings.

Almost burned the joint down!

Stuck a few taco shells in the toaster oven, grabbed my beer and went back in the living room to watch TV. After a couple minutes there was this nice soothing orange flickering glow coming from the kitchen...just like relaxing by the firepla...WAIT...S#!!.. FIRE!!!

Ran into the kitchen and the whole toaster oven was ablaze. Like an idiot I grabbed it and threw it outside into the snow. Good thing though because the fire had already kind of bubbled the laminate on the underside of the cabinets in the apartment I was living in at the time.
edit on 5/24/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
Seriously. Since I'm almost always cooking for one it so makes my life simple. Easy to clean and useful for almost all of my cooking uses.

Ok, so, I was hoping for some kind of link and/or comparison to different models.

I'm in the market for one for work, so and very interested in any reviews/recommendations to look at...

Anyone?

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A few thoughts.

originally posted by: DietWoke

Okay Ron Popeil, I'm sold!

Is he one of those irritating tv guys? Those infomercials are all awful. I know as I've sat at my local watering hole many a time watching that crap because someone forgot to change the channel on one of the tv's.

originally posted by: schuyler

I have a pressure cooker that's older than I am. I only use it for mashed potatoes for the holidays.

a reply to: olaru12

I sometimes do pick up the cheapo pepperoni "pizzas" only because I dig the chopped pepperoni.

@Rickymouse, that's some confusing stuff there.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Mines a Farberware. Had it for a few years and it's still kicking. Like I said it's got the rotisserie function on it so it's big enough for a full chicken. Ricky is probably right about what he said but heck with it, I'm still using the TO. Screw the power bills.

Plus, anytime I can avoid using my burners I jump at it. Mom bought the worlds worst stove as the burners take a long time to heat up and cool down. Weird metal burners that are a pain in the ass to use. Just making rice involves two burners, one to boil and one on low. If I just use the one it will burn it all up because it takes too long to cool down. Stupid stove.

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Duly noted. Cool story.

originally posted by: tayton
George Forman Grill all the way baby!

My sister has one of those. She cleaned out all her cabinets recently and pulled that out. Says it works real well. I might want to borrow that someday just to try it.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
a reply to: tanstaafl

Mines a Farberware. Had it for a few years and it's still kicking. Like I said it's got the rotisserie function on it so it's big enough for a full chicken. Ricky is probably right about what he said but heck with it, I'm still using the TO. Screw the power bills.

Thanks... I'm looking at the Breville BOV900BSS. Expensive, but large enough for a 14lb turkey or a 13" pizza (can't wait to make my own 100% carnivore pizza!). I'll be roasting a lot of steaks and other meats. Finally will be able to broil my steak fresh at work, rather than just heating it up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join